U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:35 PM

10,513 posts, read 10,343,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickMoreDaisies View Post
Ohhh I like that. Thanks for sharing it ptsum.

You're very welcomed, I think you're dad would have really appreciated those words, nothing religious about them and it shows that we are all made of the same stuff that stars and the universe are made of, we,re everywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,752,917 times
Oh my dearest rifleman, how wonderful were your thoughts and feelings. I am so sad to hear of your passing. RIP my brother atheist.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 AM

6,847 posts, read 7,910,363 times
Rifleman my friend, you will truly be missed. I am so sorry to hear this news. My day suddenly seems not as bright as it was just a little while ago. For those that don't know, he was somewhat of a railroad buff too, and this is actually where I found my first common ground with him. He also greatly shaped how I view many of the things in life around me as well.

Regardless what different members thought of Rifleman, one thing cannot be denied. He was a wealth of knowledge and had an incredibly sharp wit to him. CD has lost a really, really great member. May your soul rest in peace.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:00 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,493,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickMoreDaisies View Post
Thoughts on this?

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints of snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there. I did not die.

-Mary Frye

I know that my father didn't believe in any form of reincarnation but this begs of 'matter can neither be created or destroyed, it just changes form"....?
Very nice. Based on my interactions with him in the hunting and gun forum this is what I got about how he might have viewed life.

Actually I have this song and several like it in my last requests for my family and friends to play at my wake.

Tipping one for you Rifleman. Cheers buddy.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:38 PM

4,895 posts, read 3,984,985 times
He is was and will be one of my favorite people. I communicated personally with him on this forum, he was knowledgeable on many subjects and offered valuable expertise when asked. he was always willing to help out others. He will be remembered as the inspiration that he was.....

Old 11-08-2013, 03:22 PM

25,945 posts, read 13,481,092 times
I was pleased (but unsurprised) to read up-thread that Rifleman was a Chris Smither fan. I am too. This is one my favourites and I suspect Rifle loved it too - because he wasn't a passenger, he was the ride.

Chris Smither 'I Am The Ride' VRC0157 - YouTube

(Apologies if someone has already posted this one. My connection is slow lately and I may have missed a page.)

Last edited by TroutDude; 11-08-2013 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Insert a missing "to."

Old 11-14-2013, 08:31 AM

39,289 posts, read 10,937,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
What he looked like in RL.
His comment on this pic:
In my driveway just before I sold it; yet another icon of my fading youth! I once drove this little lovely speedster @ about 125mpg average down the Yellowhead, from Edmonton to Burnaby non-stop [≈ 1100 miles], just to see a v. special person... All night long.. Ahhh the dedication to our emotions, huh?
Thanks Seeker (SA) for posting the picture of Don. "Rife" was one of my oldest posting pals and a Forum Friend and PM correspondent. I valued his support and comradeship greatly and his monumental biological expertise was invaluable on the boards and I don't know who can replace him.

My condolences go out to his family and his passing is a shock, though I knew that he was battling with ill -health over the past year.

While it is sad to know that we will never have more of his monumental polyhued posts to tease us, I can say that it is a matter of great pleasure to have known through this forum a fella who entertained and instructed me all the time he posted.

Salutations Don.

Arq

Old 11-14-2013, 08:34 AM

39,289 posts, read 10,937,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I fear Arequipa is gone too.
The Bad Penny will allways turn up.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,677,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I fear Arequipa is gone too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I DM'd Arequipa a while back too as I noticed he hadn't posted in a while. He did take a 3 month break from CD around this time last year. I really hope he's ok and working on his book too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thanks Seeker (SA) for posting the picture of Don. "Rife" was one of my oldest posting pals and a Forum Friend and PM correspondent. I valued his support and comradeship greatly and his monumental biological expertise was invaluable on the boards and I don't know who can replace him.

My condolences go out to his family and his passing is a shock, though I knew that he was battling with ill -health over the past year.

While it is sad to know that we will never have more of his monumental polyhued posts to tease us, I can say that it is a matter of great pleasure to have known through this forum a fella who entertained and instructed me all the time he posted.

Salutations Don.

Arq
Quote:

HE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,109,074 times
Quote:
Kinda figured that but nice to know all is well.

Disappearing from these boards is a little like attending your own funeral, you get to see if people really care. Well ... they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism