U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
I was just looking through some old threads and saw his "Eternal Member" tag. What a bummer! His posts were pedantic, condescending, and incredibly fun to read. I'll miss that guy.

Hopefully he's out there somewhere with Campbell78, and they can both just look at each other and say "well this isn't what I expected at all!"
Well, whatever one believes about any afterlife, we can all agree that he is beyond the reach of his troubles.

As a former editor, I will grant you that his posts were generally stemwinders and conciseness was not his strong point, but in a crazy way it was also one of his charms. As a scientist, he can be forgiven for being pedantic. As a theist, you can be forgiven for calling him condescending; I would say "unapologetically frank". Frankness is not something that conservative theists usually value, as challenges to one's thinking are basically taboo as they could lead to the dreaded sins of doubt and unbelief. May I suggest that he dispensed uncomfortable "shock therapy" out of a sincere desire to help you see more clearly?

But Rifleman had something for everyone -- even fundamentalists must have generally appreciated his politically conservative views that leaked around the edges of his posts.

As for fun to read -- on that we can agree :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 AM

428 posts, read 399,852 times
So saddened to hear of this. His posts were insightfully written and always gave me something more to think about.

Someone mentioned copy/pasting Rifleman's posts…it crossed my mind to do that as well. He could pick apart a subject like no one else.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,007,065 times
I am sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed his insight. He was well-read and very intelligent. He will be missed around here!

Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 AM

4,253 posts, read 5,443,487 times
I was just lurking in this forum and saw this, this is so sad, it bought tears to my eyes. Rifleman was one of my very favourite people on this forum. We had some great conversations through private messages, sadly I never seemed to have the time to get to talk for long enough with him. He always made me laugh with his particular way of turning a phrase.

The only thing I remember really disagreeing with him on was guns .... the upshot of that conversation was in the end I agreed that if I ever visited the dangerous sounding shores of the USA then I would gladly concede to him teaching me how to correctly blow someone away

He was a great support for me through my years of study and I never got to tell him that I got my degree.

I hope you were wrong Don and that you still exist in some form because it's just too sad to think you are no more. I won't forget you or your kind words and support.

Rest in peace.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 AM

40,086 posts, read 26,750,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I was just lurking in this forum and saw this, this is so sad, it bought tears to my eyes. Rifleman was one of my very favourite people on this forum. We had some great conversations through private messages, sadly I never seemed to have the time to get to talk for long enough with him. He always made me laugh with his particular way of turning a phrase.
The only thing I remember really disagreeing with him on was guns .... the upshot of that conversation was in the end I agreed that if I ever visited the dangerous sounding shores of the USA then I would gladly concede to him teaching me how to correctly blow someone away
He was a great support for me through my years of study and I never got to tell him that I got my degree.
I hope you were wrong Don and that you still exist in some form because it's just too sad to think you are no more. I won't forget you or your kind words and support.
Rest in peace.
Don is one of a kind . . . emphasis on IS, Lady Ice. So glad to see you posting again. I am pleased you have your degree. Are you pursuing a PhD?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,201,834 times
I still miss ya Riflmn. You're not a guy that will be forgotten soon.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:30 PM

4,253 posts, read 5,443,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Don is one of a kind . . . emphasis on IS, Lady Ice. So glad to see you posting again. I am pleased you have your degree. Are you pursuing a PhD?
Hi Mystic, I wish I could be as certain as you about that but I think that uncertainty about such things are at the core of human existence and not really resolvable until we cross that final threshold ourselves. Until then the best we can do is find out as much as we can about ourselves and try not to be led down blind alleys.

I will really miss Don, who is going to take the time to explain evolution to those making such ridiculous arguments against it now?

I'm not really posting again, I get too easily frustrated with people (just one of my many faults), but I really felt that I should acknowledge Don's passing and pay my respects.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 PM

3,533 posts, read 2,450,083 times
Somehow I get the feeling that Rifleman is out there somewhere laughing at me......I sure do miss our conversations from my previous life at C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism