U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:54 AM

39,255 posts, read 10,922,331 times

Advertisements

I thought it was Pat Robertson but I feel they would find themselves shoulder to shoulder on this.

And I am in two minds about this. I live in a heavily muslim area. We have a a standing joke ..handing out leaflets for free eye -tests (Halal). That's a joke....driving school (Halal) is not. Nor of course take away Pizza (Halal).

Of course, muslims won't eat Haram foods (though the indiscriminate way the kids stuff themselves makes me wonder) and so anyone who wants to do business there has to assure the punters it's halal. And non muslims can eat it, too. There's nothing wrong with it (1).

Pat (and I have watched and enjoyed a lot of his videos) thus has to make a big deal about Cruelty. Now, I don't claim to be an Authority about Halal or indeed Shoket slaughter of animals, but the difference between that and the way we do it is our stunning the beast before cutting the throat. Given that the blade is razor sharp and the Shoket (Jewish) or Muslim slaughterer is competent, it is not cruel enough to make a big deal about.

In fact I accept that all meat eating is Cruel and we either accept a degree of it or we join the Jains.

So, (though I am open to persuasion) I don't see cruelty as the issue. The real issue is not wanting to have to conform to Muslim shibboleths. I may say that I don't care to have to conform to Muslim requirements any more than I would like to eat in a place that had scripture quotes on the Napkins.

It comes down to believing that these practices are without merit and are purely religious conformity, and removal of religion from society would (in time) remove them, so Jewish kids can eat bacon, Sikh kids can cut their hair, Buddhist kids can slap a mosquito that is bothering them. And Muslim kids can eat and drink what they like without the Haram Police rounding them up.

But until then, we can judge -in legal terms - whether it is ok or not. Muslim Taxi drivers were sacked for refusing to transport passengers carrying booze. Quite right, too. There were examples of concessions being made to religious sensibilities about serving alcohol or aircraft - if practicable, or handling bacon at a checkout - a concession, not a right in Law.

And a call to boycott Halal, I'd need to be convinced there was a moral reason, but the real reason is a dislike of religion forcing itself on the non -religious.

(1) There was a thread here once of how someone mentioned that the beef he was barbeqeuing was Halal and someone there acted like he'd been poisoned.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-07-2017 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 03:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,703,264 times
^ Well said. I agree 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or