U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2013, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,697,173 times
Reputation: 2132

Advertisements


Boycott halal - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Rivendell
1,387 posts, read 2,166,698 times
Reputation: 1650
Do I actually have to watch the video to see why this is in the A&A forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,320,949 times
Reputation: 1786
He is an atheist but of late is a whiney one. Based on the title he is taking umbrage with some legislation that introduces Halal products probably in a supermarket, He probably is upset they way Muslim clerics are required to slowly kill the animals by slitting their throats instead of the more "humane" way of shooting it between the eyes, Maybe he is upset that he now has to look for humanely killed meat so as not to support the barbaric practices of muslims stoning rapists err I mean rape victims or some equally mundane nonsense.

He has a good voice but he definitely needs a writer for his skits. I suppose we have to own him as our version of the banana man. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,251,388 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
He is an atheist but of late is a whiney one. Based on the title he is taking umbrage with some legislation that introduces Halal products probably in a supermarket, He probably is upset they way Muslim clerics are required to slowly kill the animals by slitting their throats instead of the more "humane" way of shooting it between the eyes, Maybe he is upset that he now has to look for humanely killed meat so as not to support the barbaric practices of muslims stoning rapists err I mean rape victims or some equally mundane nonsense.

He has a good voice but he definitely needs a writer for his skits. I suppose we have to own him as our version of the banana man. *shrug*
Yeah, as an atheist with not a lot of use for religion at all, I would actually go out of my way to buy halal meat, or kosher as they are very similar, because their method of slaughter is very humane compared to what we do in our factory farms...

I also think it is telling that he is not complaining about the Jews keeping kosher, as kosher meat is an acceptable substitute is halal meat is unavailable...

Definitely a banana man...
-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Yeah, as an atheist with not a lot of use for religion at all, I would actually go out of my way to buy halal meat, or kosher as they are very similar, because their method of slaughter is very humane compared to what we do in our factory farms...

I also think it is telling that he is not complaining about the Jews keeping kosher, as kosher meat is an acceptable substitute is halal meat is unavailable...

Definitely a banana man...
-NoCapo
Actually from what I understand Halal is hardly more than "don't put alcohol in the food", it is far easier to achieve than Kosher. I read somewhere that many merchants unwittingly have always sold Halal-only and just put the signs up to appeal to Muslims if there are any in the neighborhood.

Of course it's a little more nuanced than that, but indeed this guy is just not picking his battles well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,251,388 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Actually from what I understand Halal is hardly more than "don't put alcohol in the food", it is far easier to achieve than Kosher. I read somewhere that many merchants unwittingly have always sold Halal-only and just put the signs up to appeal to Muslims if there are any in the neighborhood.

Of course it's a little more nuanced than that, but indeed this guy is just not picking his battles well.
Possibly true, when looking at the whole halal/kosher issue. But the requirements for slaughter are very similar. Both prohibit the use of bolt guns or mallets, and both require a single, quick, clean cut. They also tend to avoid the horrifically unsanitary conditions in feed lots and industrial slaughterhouses. The points where they differ are more about religious doctrine, and kosher has a stricter set of requirements. It is permissible for Muslims to eat kosher meat, but Jews cannot eat halal meat.

My issue comes not from a religious viewpoint, but because I really dislike our industrialized treatment of livestock. A couple years ago, my wife and I were rehab-ing a little 5 acre mini farm, and the plan was to raise and slaughter our own poultry and small livestock. We ended up having to move before we got there, but while I don't relish the idea of doing my own butchering, I kind of feel like if I am going to raise animals for food, I have a bit of a moral responsibility to understand the process, and be capable of doing it. If I were going to boycott anything it would be industrial meat packing, not kosher or halal butchers.

But, all that is really beside the point a bit. I think the real issue is that this guy objects to Muslim immigrants in his home country. Halal is just an issue that makes them different, foreign, other. It is why he is up in arms about Muslims and not Jews, even though their slaughter practices are very similar. This is just a combinations of nationalism, xenophobia, and racism under a veneer of atheistic objections.

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 09:28 AM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,320,949 times
Reputation: 1786
I have a love hate opinion for youtube. I love it that we can get funny skits for entertainment but I hate it for the medium of debate and explanations. All too often people will post a link w/o any commentary and why they think it supports a premise exactly like in this OP.

Pat used to be funny and snipey but he has lost my interest since going after muslims over mundane stuff like this.

Someone that is good is Betty Bowers and she is a hoot and her videos well produced. I also love parodies and giggle sometimes how close to the truth they are that so many folk think it is real. Still amazed how many folk fall for the onion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,697,173 times
Reputation: 2132
The onion is awesome. Here in Canada there is this radio show called "This is That" that has gotten people foaming mad because the listeners thought that the show was real (especially once it gets posted on the internet for anyone to discover by accident). Recently they did a show on how children, in the name of political correctness, were going to start playing soccer without a ball. The reactions were even better than the story. But I digress...

I've enjoyed a few of Pat's videos over the years, it seems that he does make mountains out of molehills far too often. Doing some research on some of his older videos that I used to like, I can see now that even then he was stretching the truth just a little.

As for Halal, I saw it in the store for the first time the other day, and when I got home, I found Pat Condell's video. It is not just Condell that doesn't like it though. The Netherlands, probably the most liberal nation on earth, recently tried to ban Halal and Kosher methods of slaughter. Animal rights organizations have called for it to banned as well.

So an atheist, a liberal, and an animal rights activist walk into a bar... no, wait, this isn't the jokes section is it... Anyway, a lot of people consider slitting the throat inhumane, but my personal opinion (having grown up around meat animals) is that it is not. Painting Halal as barbaric is a pretty big stretch, but it fits into his narrative that anything Islamic should be banned even if it doesn't contravene out own laws and culture.

Pat strikes me as a guy isn't just a-religious, but anti-religious, which are two entirely different animals. An a-religious person doesn't care what someone else practices so long as it falls within the law, but an anti-religious person wants things banned, not because the thing is wrong or bad, but because the thing is associated with a religious group.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of sharia law, but there are many aspects of Islam (and another other religion) that are perfectly acceptable within a secular pluralistic society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of sharia law, but there are many aspects of Islam (and another other religion) that are perfectly acceptable within a secular pluralistic society.
I vacationed in Turkey this past summer and IMO that country proves that it's possible to have a reasonably free secular state in a predominantly Islamist country. It leaks around the edges a bit, just as it does in the US for a predominantly Christian country -- we also have alarming religious extremist ideas trying to undermine the secular state but we manage to hold the line and so do they.

The reason it works in Turkey is that they are relatively prosperous, near-zero homelessness, the young people are not without hope for their future and are thus relatively inoculated against radicalization. Except maybe in the Kurdish areas in the east -- I stayed clear of those and did not test my theories there ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,714 posts, read 6,298,302 times
Reputation: 11550
Give this man a book deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top