U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,882,202 times

Advertisements

Never heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 PM

4,914 posts, read 3,991,568 times
Well, we had a good turnout in our neighborhood. I ran out of stuffed animals, a Big hit with the girls, and also the glow in the dark insects (the boys LOVED those)
I do not know what happened across town at the trunk or treat, nor care, we made a lot of kids really happy tonight, and that is all that matters. ALL that matters

Old 10-31-2013, 08:49 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,893,254 times
Who cares? It's about kids and candy.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,122,763 times
Turns out not one trick or treater came down our street. Possibly because there are only 4 occupied homes on a street where 29 families will eventually live. If I were herding kids around in the dark, it would be a street I'd skip. Our street lights aren't even working yet. Plus it was pouring rain anyway.

It occurs to me that people might have decided that Friday night is more logical for going house to house, I'll have to check that out ... it would relieve people from dealing with getting sugar-crazed children to bed on a school night -- and out the door the next morning.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 AM

4,534 posts, read 3,943,006 times
No, it really isn't.

It's about Christianity elbowing in on something they have no claim to, so that they can turn it into something they want it to be - just like Christmas.

Christians tried to squash Halloween as 'satanic' or 'idolatry', but they failed. So instead, they are working on claiming it for themselves so they can change it to what they want. The fact that it's fairly recent and not widespread doesn't make it any less invasive.

Imagine what the early days of 'christmas' was like - as Christians took over the pagan holiday rituals.

What will Halloween be like in 200 years?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 AM

mordant - they moved T or T here because of the storms last night. They are doing it tonight instead. Check your local paper.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,494,532 times
Our town has a big trunk or treat on main street, because it is a huge rural area. There are very few neighborhoods here, mostly farm and ranch land. Last year we had about 100 cars set up on main street to give out candy. We also had bands, a parade, and a carnival.

In areas where houses are really spread out, it makes sense to have something like this.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
No, it really isn't.

It's about Christianity elbowing in on something they have no claim to, so that they can turn it into something they want it to be - just like Christmas.

Christians tried to squash Halloween as 'satanic' or 'idolatry', but they failed. So instead, they are working on claiming it for themselves so they can change it to what they want. The fact that it's fairly recent and not widespread doesn't make it any less invasive.

Imagine what the early days of 'christmas' was like - as Christians took over the pagan holiday rituals.

What will Halloween be like in 200 years?
Customs always change, and I have no problems with Christians participating by pushing their own ideas for ways to celebrate so long as they play fair. Halloween will be different in 200 years with or without their involvement.

In all honesty I've never liked it as a holiday and if it dies out I will shed no tears. And don't get me started on Christmas. It's a do-or-die retail blowout that starts in some ways in September; I mostly ignore it. There's plenty of blame to go around on that one, too, I think Christians lost control of it more or less since WW2.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

In all honesty I've never liked it as a holiday and if it dies out I will shed no tears. And don't get me started on Christmas. It's a do-or-die retail blowout that starts in some ways in September; I mostly ignore it. There's plenty of blame to go around on that one, too, I think Christians lost control of it more or less since WW2.
That's where we differ. I always enjoyed Halloween because it was a great activity for both kids and adults that engaged the public on a large scale that *wasn't* religious in origin.

Like the 4th of July in the U.S. people get excited about the day, plan BBQ's and stay up late for fireworks. The theme is patriotic, not religious. I love the 4th, too.

Christmas has gone downhill for years. I'm appalled that businesses are now going to be open on Thanksgiving Day. I will refuse to shop on that day and never go out on Black Friday, either. In fact, since our child is no longer young (and we NEVER did the Santa thing), we hardly exchange gifts anyway. I expect once it's just husband and I, we'll drop it totally.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
That's where we differ. I always enjoyed Halloween because it was a great activity for both kids and adults that engaged the public on a large scale that *wasn't* religious in origin.
Halloween is a mongrel as to its religious underpinnings. All Hallow's Eve or All Saints Eve is the origin of the word, so it has some Christian background, before which it was Samhain which is Druid. Still religious. And most of what's left is superstition even if not outright religion.

I don't mind Halloween as a safety valve for people's fears. It serves a purpose similar to horror movies, HP Lovecraft, etc. As Stephen King said, "It's my job to put my characters through the wringer so you don't think your problems are all that bad, after all."

As a child, I never cared much for costume events. Both the most and least fun I had as a kid was when I got a cool full-head rubber Frankenstein mask for Halloween. When I actually got to wear it on The Night, though, it was so stifling I couldn't keep it on. My head was soaked in sweat. There was no honor in this, only shame ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or