U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,914,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
There was no honor in this, only shame ;-)
Lol!!!

I love dressing up and have no religious attachment to Halloween at all. It's just a fun day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,091,191 times
I don't live in the south, but a creation science museum is 3 blocks from my home. If there is a Bible Belt in my jurisdiction, I live in the buckle of it.

It's a small town, and I really had to think back to the days when I used to go door to door for trick or treat. I was driving home from the post office, and I saw a number of children going door to door, without an adult in sight.

Tell me that happens in a big city!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 AM

30,701 posts, read 33,478,764 times
This isn't even a "Christian" thing, even if some are trying to make it so. It's just a way to make things easier and to pack a lot more into a smaller area. Part of it is parents not wanting to let kids run around alone, being too lazy to go with them, living in areas where many people don't participate, and more. Malls do it, downtowns do it, if people want to park a bunch of cars somewhere and do that too then why not. I said before on another thread, there's more cars on the roads now and that alone makes it more dangerous for kids to run around in the dark. We aren't taking anything away from them, we are just adapting to new things like we always do.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:02 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,389,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Our town has a big trunk or treat on main street, because it is a huge rural area. There are very few neighborhoods here, mostly farm and ranch land. Last year we had about 100 cars set up on main street to give out candy. We also had bands, a parade, and a carnival.

In areas where houses are really spread out, it makes sense to have something like this.
Sounds cool to me.

Incidentally, Easter is another holiday with pagan roots.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,091,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Sounds cool to me.

Incidentally, Easter is another holiday with pagan roots.
As is Christmas. It was co-opted by Christians way back when so the pagans that lived in the area would be more accepting of the new philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or