U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,272,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
No, but it's not the same thing so you cannot compare.
Utter nonsense - no two comparable things are ever the same. We don't compare things that are the same, we compare things that are different but similar. Typically, we do this to learn things about thing A based on our experiences with the similar (but not the same) thing B.

Well, at least some of us do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM

40,857 posts, read 18,557,746 times
I used to believe in God, but then one morning I was removing my bread from the toaster and noticed that the image of Dawkins' face had been burned into it. I took this as a sign from God that he did not exist.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 PM

16,088 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Quote:
If famous atheists, such as Richard Dawkins, suddenly converted to Christianity (whether givings good reasons for doing so or not); would you change your mind and convert as well?
No. I would be interested in their reasoning, but it would most likely not change my mind especially about Christianity.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,317,939 times
...would you as well

Bad grammar, we were reprimanded as kids for using this kind of speech but the OP is probably one of those also too folks. Who even talks like this? Perhaps of the Palin persuasion?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 AM

4,144 posts, read 5,106,815 times
No. I only care what I think.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,278,810 times
Quote:
If famous atheists, such as Richard Dawkins, suddenly converted to Christianity (whether givings good reasons for doing so or not); would you change your mind and convert as well?
I change my mind all the time. When there is sufficient argument, evidence, data or reasoning to compel me to do so.

Person X believes claim Y..... or Person X did not believe claim Y but now suddenly does..... is not, for me, evidence at all.

So no. Someone else changing their mind will not compel or even tempt me to change mine. The arguments, evidence, data or reasoning that changed their mind however, if presented to me, might.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:52 AM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
No. I became an atheist before I knew about any famous atheists, other than Madalyn Murray O'Hair, and I thought she was crazy. I did not know a single atheist in my personal life. I became an atheist after study and thought.

The famous atheists and the pop culture books all came along after I had made my decision. Their well articulated views has certainly helped to reinforce my thoughts, but they are not central to my reasons why.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:25 PM
EA

6,181 posts, read 5,205,096 times
Why would I?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM

794 posts, read 1,195,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There are a lot of wacky questions that get asked in this forum, but this has to be up there .
Pretty illuminating of the religious mindset, though, isn't it?

Old 11-15-2013, 04:41 AM

39,033 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Quote:
Not for that reason, no. After all, Anthony Flew turning theist didn't convert me, though it did bother me, as indeed does any atheist going theist,like that atheist blogger. Because I wonder whether there is some good reason why.

In fact, Flew was bamboozled and the blogger was evidently halfway to seeing 'morality' as a existent entity already.They were not good reasons to change my views.

So that's maybe the answer. The prominence of the particular atheist isn't the bottom line - the appeal to authority figures is of course a fallacy. It is the persuasiveness of the case made that is the issue,and that can come from anyone,famous or not.

In fact,for me, by far the most persuasive case for God has been made here by Mystic Phd. I don't think it has gone further than a persuasive hypothesis, but it doesn't (like the others) rely on misinformation to make its case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism