Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,364,478 times

Advertisements

Nope. Their choice, not mine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,298,757 times
of course not, I'm not a follower anyway

Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,307,258 times
Wouldn't the OP want the atheist convert to know something about Christianity before embracing it or is it just enough to get baptized because everyone else was doing it?

And did I miss it but has the OP ever answered the question, "If famous Christians became atheists, would he as well?"

Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,477,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Wouldn't the OP want the atheist convert to know something about Christianity before embracing it or is it just enough to get baptized because everyone else was doing it?

And did I miss it but has the OP ever answered the question, "If famous Christians became atheists, would he as well?"
Good point. I would predict that the poster would mourn over the prominent believer being misled by fallible human reasoning (if not by Satan) into error, but would certainly then regard their new opinions as worthless.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,543,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Pretty illuminating of the religious mindset, though, isn't it?
Well, you have to suppose without someone telling them a story about a heavenly creature what would they have to go on? Belief in a God is hearsay after all. I think that's why he was puzzled by the answers. Of course it matters what people do and say to a theist, that is their belief, they believe what someone has told them. It is illuminating indeed. Follow the leader.............

Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM

269 posts, read 206,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
If famous atheists, such as Richard Dawkins, suddenly converted to Christianity (whether givings good reasons for doing so or not); would you change your mind and convert as well?
hi there. strictly for that reason? nope sort of takes away the meaning behind the idea of being a free thinker...

Old 11-17-2013, 06:01 PM

826 posts, read 1,029,077 times
Quote:
If famous atheists, such as Richard Dawkins, suddenly converted to Christianity (whether givings good reasons for doing so or not); would you change your mind and convert as well?
Of course not. The ideas of atheism as a religion, the need to follow dogma or the worship of science as our infallible god, this is simply projection by theists who assume we are the same. My atheism has nothing to do with what others think, and everything to do with the knowledge that there is no scientific evidence of a god. period.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,416,060 times
No. How stupid!

Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,462,322 times
Quote:
Absolutely not.

That's actually happened, usually in the context of advancing age or serious illness. The late atheist Antony Flew is one example.

If someone like Dawkins suddenly converted to Christianity, I'd just feel sorry for him. I'd think what a brilliant thinker he had once been, and how sad it was he lost himself to superstition.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,753,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Absolutely not.

That's actually happened, usually in the context of advancing age or serious illness. The late atheist Antony Flew is one example.
Of course, he never seems to have believed in a personal god. He might have become a deist, but definitely not a Christian or a Muslim.

Antony Flew Considers God...Sort Of

The Curious Case of Antony Flew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism