U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Midcoast Maine
4,958 posts, read 10,585,307 times
Reputation: 3339

Advertisements

Surprise! Atheist Marriages May Last Longer Than Christian Ones | Alternet

Surprise, surprise! Not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2013, 05:26 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,741,265 times
Reputation: 1328
Easily excused, as is everything.

1) Those Christians were atheists or pagan when they committed all those sinful divorces.
2) Christianity is filled with closet atheists and sinners who flock to its vicarious forgiveness, its not Christianity's fault.
3) It's harder for atheists to find marriage replacements, or to make mistakes when choosing a partner (since Christian's assume that their church acquaintances are who they are at church, but often aren't).
4) Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 PM
 
77 posts, read 81,986 times
Reputation: 34
Scandinavian countries has high rate of atheism, yet ranks among top countries in high suicide and divorce rate as well.. So what?

Religion does not tell you to divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,084,119 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Religion does not tell you to divorce.
We're not discussing whether religion tells you to divorce, but whether or not its teachings reduce the divorce rate.

This is all kind of pointless though, because nothing says a marriage is a positive experience just because it hasn't been legally terminated. A better question (and tougher to answer) is how does belief impact the vitality and pleasantness of marriages? There are no studies I've seen that show any meaningful differences in divorce rates between believers and unbelievers, but if, for the sake of argument, there is no difference, and the divorce rate is 50%, it could be that 100% of those 50% in one group who manage to remain married, are very happy and fulfilled in their relationship. Or it could be near zero or anything in between. I'd far rather see the quality of marriages go up, even if the divorce rate doesn't go down. Crack that nut, and the divorce rate will eventually take care of itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Reputation: 12628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Scandinavian countries has high rate of atheism, yet ranks among top countries in high suicide and divorce rate as well.. So what?

Religion does not tell you to divorce.
There is one demographic that has a divorce rate of only 17%....Can you guess who they might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,276,802 times
Reputation: 37474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Scandinavian countries has high rate of atheism, yet ranks among top countries in high suicide and divorce rate as well.. So what?
No, they don't - but don't let reality get in the way of your talking point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_rate_by_country
Suicide rates in 110 countries, ranked:
Finland: 19th
United States: 33rd
Norway: 35th
Denmark: 41st
Sweden: 44th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_demography
Divorce rate by country:
United States: 53%
Sweden: 47%
Denmark: 46%
Finland: 45%
Norway: 44%

Perhaps you can drive home your point in some way other than making claims that just don't jibe with what actually happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 11:52 AM
 
77 posts, read 81,986 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No, they don't - but don't let reality get in the way of your talking point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_rate_by_country
Suicide rates in 110 countries, ranked:
Finland: 19th
United States: 33rd
Norway: 35th
Denmark: 41st
Sweden: 44th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_demography
Divorce rate by country:
United States: 53%
Sweden: 47%
Denmark: 46%
Finland: 45%
Norway: 44%

Perhaps you can drive home your point in some way other than making claims that just don't jibe with what actually happens?
Wikipedia as a valid source? Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Downtown Raleigh
1,647 posts, read 3,008,353 times
Reputation: 2113
You do know that the sources are cited and that you can review them? But when your argument falls flat, go for whatever you can reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,276,802 times
Reputation: 37474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Wikipedia as a valid source? Lmao
No, Wikipedia is not the source. The sources are the extensive (linked) footnotes in the Wikipedia articles. You know, the articles which I linked? You might not be familiar with that concept, since you've just made empty claims, then refused to back them up. And now, when you've been called on your falsehoods, instead of doing the decent thing and either admitting that you were wrong (or, conceivably, rebutting me with actual evidence), you whine about my sources.

Real stand-up behavior there.

So let me sum it up: you've either lied or demonstrated extensive ignorance about the divorce rates and suicide rates in Scandinavian countries. I've pointed that out by linking to cites which contain numerous links to independent studies as well as government statistics.

The term 'false witness' comes to mind. How appropriate, given that this thread is essentially about the relative failure of Christians to walk their own walk.

Can you back up your claims about Scandinavia, or are you going to keep running away from the issue that you created when you made those claims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: The Big O
590 posts, read 664,052 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
You do know that the sources are cited and that you can review them? But when your argument falls flat, go for whatever you can reach.
But it's being dishonest for Jesus, so it's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top