U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 01:50 PM

590 posts, read 664,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrge View Post

Atheists, please just present what information you have of the concept of God among people who do claim to know the existence of God."
All-powerful
All-knowing
Loves me more than my own mother and has infinite mercy, but if I don't believe he exists, he will throw me into a fiery pit to be tortured mercilessly.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 PM

1,647 posts, read 3,009,194 times
Are you saying that mental concepts arise in physical objects?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 PM

608 posts, read 530,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Wait....why are we narrowing down on that god.....as opposed to all the other gawds?

Well, we have to narrow down the span of a discussion, and this thread is about concepts and the existence of God, and we are in a forum which is sponsored by I assume Americans who are Westerners and speak and write English, and when we read texts in their media we come across the term God, so we are interested or I am interested to know what American atheists have for information on the concept of God among fellow Americans who know the existence of God.

If you want to bring in all kinds of terms that you have information about that is reminiscent to you of God among people who know God to exist, then it is not necessary, not necessary to make a complete exhaustive enumeration of all the terms you have ever encountered reminiscent to you of any information you might have of the concept of God among Americans who know God exists.

In other words, we or I like to invite you to agree to the scope of this thread, namely, the information of the concept of God among people in say the USA who know that God exists.

No discrimination against other peoples in other countries, but just so that we can delimit the scope of treatment to a particular people, in a particular land, and to a particular religion.

Is that all right with you?

And what is the point of my thread?

To see whether I can succeed to engage with atheists to talk about their information on the concept of God, in connection with the existence or non-existence of God.

Is that all right with you, assuming that you are an atheist?

Because you are here and therefore I assume you are inclined to exchange thoughts with people here, and I happen to want to know whether you care to exchange thoughts with me on the information of the concept of God, etc. etc. etc.

Now, do you understand my inquiry, namely:

"Atheists, please just present what information you have of the concept of God among people who do claim to know the existence of God."

If you are annoyed by my inquiry, then you have the option to just not participate in this thread, and/or put me on ignore.

You will ask what is my ultimate purpose?

No, not to bring you back to the Christian faith, nor to convert you to the Christian faith if you do not know at all anything about this faith.

But just to know how my thinking is the same or different compared to your thinking in the matter of the information of the concept of God etc. and the existence of God.

Ryrge

Old 11-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrge

"Atheists, please just present what information you have of the concept of God among people who do claim to know the existence of God."
All-powerful
All-knowing
Loves me more than my own mother and has infinite mercy, but if I don't believe he exists, he will throw me into a fiery pit to be tortured mercilessly.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I think you are into the psychology of your attitude in regard to God even were He to your knowlege existing.

Let us leave your psychology aside.

Can we just talk about concepts in our mind and the existence of objects in actual objective reality outside our mind?

Ryrge

Old 11-05-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Are you saying that mental concepts arise in physical objects?

Mental concepts to my consideration on thinking based upon reason and intelligence are founded also on physical objects, but not all of them.

There are concepts in our mind that have no corresponding objects in actual objective reality as far as we know of things existing in actual objective reality, but just the same we can still talk about them, whether the talk is useless or not, but we do know what we are talking about and get connected.

You can ask me questions of course, but please also contribute your ideas from thinking on reason and intelligence.

Ryrge

Old 11-05-2013, 02:39 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,251,388 times
Quote:
Mental concepts to my consideration on thinking based upon reason and intelligence are founded also on physical objects, but not all of them.

There are concepts in our mind that have no corresponding objects in actual objective reality as far as we know of things existing in actual objective reality, but just the same we can still talk about them, whether the talk is useless or not, but we do know what we are talking about and get connected.

You can ask me questions of course, but please also contribute your ideas from thinking on reason and intelligence.
It is really difficult to contribute meaningfully because we have no idea where you are going or what you are talking about. How about you lay out all of what you want to discuss as an initial topic, and we can actually have something to discuss instead of this conversation by slow drips...

If it helps, yes I agree that we can conceptualize things that are not actual objects. We are capable of abstract thought. Can you move on to what abstract thought has to do with a concrete and actual god?

-NoCapo

Old 11-05-2013, 03:21 PM

1,647 posts, read 3,009,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
It is really difficult to contribute meaningfully because we have no idea where you are going or what you are talking about. How about you lay out all of what you want to discuss as an initial topic, and we can actually have something to discuss instead of this conversation by slow drips...
This.

We'll talk, but please stop the torture!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 PM

25,829 posts, read 13,426,503 times
It's almost like a mantra - he keeps chanting his premise throughout his posts.

OMG!!!!

He's trying to hypnotize atheists into becoming believers!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,438,852 times
Quote:
Dear roscomac, we have talked together already, and as you told me you were a Christian before and you grew up in the Southern Baptist denominational church, you grew up with the concept of God as the infinite omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, etc., so you do have the correct information on the concept of God that I a Christian am talking about.

So, we will not anymore impose upon you to tell me and readers here what is the information you have on the concept of God among people who do know God to exist.

Or how or whether you understand at all my inquiry:
Ryrge
The concept I have of God is that (if He is real) he can be very cruel, and he's not very good at managing his children. My concept of God is that he was created by man, to suppress/oppress woman, and give him an excuse to do it..
My concept of God is that he was also "created" as a means to excuse all bad behaviors, simply by praying and asking for forgiveness.
He is praised when something good happens, but never blamed when the bad happens.
My concept of God is not near as nice as my concept of the tooth fairy, or Santa Clause.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 PM

2,637 posts, read 10,940,348 times
Concepts of god(s) = mythology

Existence of god(s) = unsupported
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism