U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,145,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
First off, a phd does not = smart.
Second off, accepting stupidity is anti-progress.
Third, it's not about diversity, it's about stupidity and ignorance.
And you hold what level of an education degree? Another atheist who equates ones spiritual point of view as stupidity. Boy oh boy if I labeled atheists as stupid for what they believed I'd hear no end of it. Yet you guys think it fine to label a theist who holds a PhD as stupid. Pretty sad. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-06-2013 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: unintentional bait
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
you silly goose....i AM the boss. The mentioned gentleman/PHD works for me.
so...by your unsolicited 'wisdom', i am right.
Then indeed you are right. Fire the fool! Can't have employees that don't hold the same world view as you. Doesn't matter how good of a job they do!

Edit: some fool gave me a rep point saying I got owned two posts up??? Hey works for me. Rep me all you want. Then read the above. Note to fool DM me instead of increasing my reputation. But then again a DM would reveal your identity. Can't have that.

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-06-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 PM

3,673 posts, read 4,936,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Then indeed you are right. Fire the fool! Can't have employees that don't hold the same world view as you. Doesn't matter how good of a job they do!
First off, you don't know how good of a job he does, or doesn't. all you know is that he has a PHD, and that is by no means an indication of someone doing a "good job" at work.
Secondly, the point is NOT difference in opinions, nor is it being opposed to those with different point of views.

it's a matter of saying stupid things at the work place. things that no PHD should even consider saying, given their supposed 'Higher Education'. Imagine for a second if i attributed our proposal wins/losses to the great pink unicorn....you know, in staff meetings i'd say things like: "i'm happy to say that Thor was good to us this quarter and really pulled through with that NASA proposal we put together last month."

Imagine how stupid that would sound.
The situation in my OP is NO different. whatsoever!

ps. I didn't rep you. your post didn't deserve a rep. and yes, the person who sent you that note was correct in saying that you got owned. after all, if you had paid a bit of attention, you'd notice that i said in my original post that the person worked for me, not the other way around. but that's really beside the point.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-06-2013 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Interesting bit of info for you. I am able to read the rep comments when necessary

Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM

608 posts, read 530,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Ever notice how god is always credited with good stuff, or not so bad stuff, but a kid gets raped by a priest and it's clearly the work of satan.

Bull**** > truth to these idiots.

You know, orthodox Jews unless I am mistaken say that God does evil, of course they also say God does good.

Now, in law there is a concept called Act of God which can be an occurrence that injures life and/or destroys property.

It appears that for orthodox Jews and for legal experts, they know the distinction between physical events which are not welcome to man, and that for God evil is rebellion against God.

I could be of course mistaken in my information and opinions and knowledge in this message, but it is just an obiter dictum from yours truly.

Ryrge

Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
First off, you don't know how good of a job he does, or doesn't. all you know is that he has a PHD, and that is by no means an indication of someone doing a "good job" at work.
Secondly, the point is NOT difference in opinions, nor is it being opposed to those with different point of views.

it's a matter of saying stupid things at the work place. things that no PHD should even consider saying, given their supposed 'Higher Education'. Imagine for a second if i attributed our proposal wins/losses to the great pink unicorn....you know, in staff meetings i'd say things like: "i'm happy to say that Thor was good to us this quarter and really pulled through with that NASA proposal we put together last month."

Imagine how stupid that would sound.
The situation in my OP is NO different. whatsoever!

ps. I didn't rep you. your post didn't deserve a rep. and yes, the person who sent you that note was correct in saying that you got owned. after all, if you had paid a bit of attention, you'd notice that i said in my original post that the person worked for me, not the other way around. but that's really beside the point.
I know you did not rep me.

With that said if religious people who are honest enough to be themselves annoy you fire them. They will just glorify God for getting them out of a hostile work environment. If I were a boss I would not want stupid people under me. Fire the fool otherwise you are being stupid.

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-06-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM

3,673 posts, read 4,936,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrge View Post
Hi thinking-man, I invite you to participate in my thread on Concepts and the existence of God.

Ryrge
No thank you.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:36 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,277,972 times
People say dumb stuff at my office all the time but I don't really let it get to me. I used to but then I knew that if I addressed it or said anything, they'd mostly likely make a point of doing it even more just to annoy me. Since I work night shift and my office is open 365/24/7, I'm usually at work on big holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. On those nights, the managers usually all get together and bring in Thanksgiving dinner for the whole work crew.

Last year, as we were all lining up to get our food, one of my co-workers butted in and said "Would anyone mind if we all stopped and said a prayer before we serve our food?" It wasn't said in a malicious way or anything like that, and I presume it was an innocent question but I ended up being the one guy who rose his hand and all eyes were on me from management on down.

The prayer did not occur but the feeling of awkwardness is one that I cannot describe. I know the people asking those questions don't necessarily mean any harm by it. I know my co-worker wasn't trying to sift through this large group of people to try and find the atheist(s) in the group. But, what they don't realize is how inconsiderate it is to do something like that. It either puts me in the position of accommodating and giving people the impression that "I'm with them" when I'm not or I have to isolate and polarize myself as an objector to the behavior in front of management and everyone else. There are few feelings as awkward as that.

It's kind of like when the air conditioning guy comes to your house in the middle of July to fix your air conditioning... And just because you're a middle-class white guy, he automatically assumes you're a racist bigot like he is. So, he'll make some off-color, racist remark while he's fixing your air conditioning and here you are stuck in the awkward position of not tolerating it and potentially driving away the only air conditioner repairman in the area who could make it out in less than two weeks' time. Or, you bite your tongue and have to swallow your own moral pride by not saying anything, changing the subject, or something else - which does not address the problem but it increases the chance of you being mistaken as agreeing entirely with what this guy is saying.

In either situation, silence is taken as mutual agreeableness or, perhaps, a feeling of neutrality whereas objection can lead to feeling/being ostracized and singled out.

If a co-worker is just going to say something dumb, like a muttering or utterance that "God did this..." or "God did that..." then I just go about my business and basically ignore it. But, if I'm somehow being put in the position where assenting or objecting doesn't feel right then that's on them - not me.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:51 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Last year, as we were all lining up to get our food, one of my co-workers butted in and said "Would anyone mind if we all stopped and said a prayer before we serve our food?" It wasn't said in a malicious way or anything like that, and I presume it was an innocent question but I ended up being the one guy who rose his hand and all eyes were on me from management on down.

The prayer did not occur but the feeling of awkwardness is one that I cannot describe.
Good for you, GCSTroop! Very good!

In my case, I would have probably stopped and waited for the guy to say his prayer, even though he was being very inconsiderate to ask you to stop what you were doing.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 PM

8,341 posts, read 9,803,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
If I was truly deviant, for the christian audience, I would make a habit of thanking 'gawd' every time something terrible happens; especially, natural disasters. Hey it's all god's will! Why do we just thank him when it's something that coincides with our self-interest?
I deal with these morons every day in the work place! Among other things, it makes me not want to go to work!
I do this now at my job. It's staffed mostly by supercharged mormons who won't shut up about their god. So I return the favor to remind them how sadistic god really is. Screw it; I used to play nice, but not anymore. They get offended that I speak up yet see nothing wrong with being outspoken themselves. It's a two way street.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:16 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,742,175 times
Quote:

So....today one of the people working for me in my group said something (about a project bid we lost) to the effect of:

"who knows why god didn't want us to be working on the project....."

I almostModerator cut: delete myself and all i could say was: "what are you talking about? gawd had nothing to do with this project!"......which as i write this....sounds ABSURD even saying the phrase that i said!

Worst part is that this person is a PHD, 'seemingly' intelligent and rational. anyway.......i just almost threw myself out the window of the building thinking about the ignorance of some people.....

Do you have to deal with Shhhhtuff like that at work? I have no problem letting people know that i don't believe in that shhhhhhhtuff....even at work.
you should have responded with "He probably gambled with Satan over whether we would persevere, learn from our mistakes, and handle things by ourselves fully... of course, that is only metaphorical being as I'm as fully secular as our Founding Fathers and I believe that if gods did exist there would be little reason for them to participate in worldly things like these... the heavens might be more interested in a football game or a starving child, then us well-off "Doctors of Wisdom-loving" folk. *friendly sarcastic wink* "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism