U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,015,135 times

Advertisements

I said that the concept of a god as described by your was too thin to be worth caring about, even if I did agree and believe. I did not say that I agree with you.

I think by "diversionary" you might mean "forward-moving."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Meh, I find that most atheists simply don't believe in any of it, and it ends there. The thing they get passionate about is when stuff that they feel is absolute nonsense effects their lives somehow (politics).

I'm not an atheist, and I'm not a theist. I'm just a guy that thinks that none of this BS matters in this life or the next, as the same thing is going to happen to all of us regardless of how we've lived our lives. Anyone that bases their life on what could or couldn't happen after they die is an embarrassment to mankind. I know why we're alive, but I have know Idea what the point of life is, and nobody out there knows anything more than me. ......................that's free advice
Best response here. As one who does believe in a deity but does not care whether of not others do, I find this a very curious thing. Seems to me that those who are supposedly so sure in their beliefs are the ones who try the hardest to convince others to believe as they do. To me, that is the height of their own insecurity in their belief. Maybe they require others to feel as they do about it in order to reinforce their faith.

I think that would be a better topic. "Confused about Religion?" Because I think that's were their confusion really lies.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 PM

269 posts, read 168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
Why do so many people confuse being non religious with being an atheist.
because ignorance is contingent on the propensity to label people
Quote:
There are many people who are not part of a religion; however, they do believe in god. I assume there would be a separate category for such people.
spiritual...philosophical....musicians...poets.... artists....

Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 PM

30,924 posts, read 31,837,353 times
Religious definition.... Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity. One does not have to attend church, or be part of group to be religious.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:12 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
Why do so many people confuse being non religious with being an atheist. There are many people who are not part of a religion; however, they do believe in god. I assume there would be a separate category for such people.
It's really simple, there are no gods.

Why do some people think this; ignorance, some come by their ignorance naturally, some are willfully ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism