U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 AM

6,867 posts, read 3,794,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Probably true. We are a group without hyphens. There are Christian-businessmen, Christian-warriors, Christian-music, Christian-stores, Christian-holidays, Christian-schools, Christian-Youth Societies, Christian-relics....

We haven't even got an Atheist-bowling league. We have no edifices, there is no Atheist-recipe book, no Atheist-Channel on our cable, no clergy, and the one thing that we do have in common is a lack of common belief in something.

So it isn't like we can sit around talking about what a good time we all had at Atheist Day at the ballpark.
I've said here before, Sunday is 'Happy Atheists Day'.

While Christians are jumping out of bed on a Sunday to go to church, we are doing far more fun stuff!
OK we might not all be doing the fun stuff together (but some of us are .)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,900,280 times
Even God warriors want a peak at the devil when they get a chance, they want to see what they're missing.
Thanks to all for my morning laugh, lost some coffee on this thread!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
Seriously, this forum should be re-named "Ask an Atheist"
Why do you guys think this is so? Do you think they hope to convert us?
Or do you think they genuinely want to understand us?

Obviously some of the threads are created by the same person in different guises. They are easy to pick out once you have answered the same set of questions once.

Other than that, I don't see any problem with people coming on here asking questions. That's what the forum is for after all. I think people use this forum for all sorts of reasons.

* Theists who genuinely don't understand atheists as if we are all a bunch of aliens or something.

* Theists who want to pick a fight with atheists (usually I suspect because of some deep seated doubts of their own)

* Theists interested in a genuine discussion.

* Agnostics trying to work things out in their own minds.

* Atheists interested in a genuine discussion.

* Atheists trying to pick a pick a fight with theists.

* Atheists who have a completely clear disbelief and are here to share their wisdom

Either way I always prefer to err on the side of benefit of the doubt. Some people are quite genuine and I prefer to see what they have to say first before casting a judgement.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,012,033 times
I think everyone has some kernel of doubt about what they believe. If you can visit a place where people have gone down a very different road and still hold your own, you can feel reassured about your beliefs.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM

41,134 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Who wants to get together and launch "Atheist-Mingle.com", the online meeting place for the theologically
misanthropic?

.....and what mailing list? Hey!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 PM

10,628 posts, read 4,952,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I think it's more that there aren't a lot of controversial topics for atheists to talk about.

I can imagine that if we all got into a room together, it would go something like this:

"So....are you an atheist?"

"Yup, how bout you?"

"Yup"

"cool"

"Yup"
(awkward pause)
"This punch is good"

"Yeah, does it have...pineapple in it?"

"Think so"

"Cool"
^Indeed.
I cannot disagree-which is exactly the point.

I don't care to argue with or attempt to try to convince people to believe or not to.
I don't wish to be a subject for someone else to try to argue with or convince me, either.
Quote:
Probably true. We are a group without hyphens. There are Christian-businessmen, Christian-warriors, Christian-music, Christian-stores, Christian-holidays, Christian-schools, Christian-Youth Societies, Christian-relics....

We haven't even got an Atheist-bowling league. We have no edifices, there is no Atheist-recipe book, no Atheist-Channel on our cable, no clergy, and the one thing that we do have in common is a lack of common belief in something.

So it isn't like we can sit around talking about what a good time we all had at Atheist Day at the ballpark.
^This, too.

There aren't social gatherings for atheists the way there are for the religious,
so we may be invisible to each other in the community,
without the mutual social/group support that church attendees share/exchange.
Quote:
Who wants to get together and launch "Atheist-Mingle.com", the online meeting place for the theologically
misanthropic?
Yeah, I'd be all for that

Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
misanthropic?

.....and what mailing list? Hey!
I'm all set for an atheist life partner thanks. But it's actually a good idea I think.

I like your idea about the atheist cookbook too.

How about Happy Atheist ice-cream Sunday?
Flying Spaghetti with meatballs?
Sceptic scones with 'I can't believe its not butter'?
The Big Bangers and Mash (traditional English dish I assure you)

What do you think?

Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 AM

41,134 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

I like your idea about the atheist cookbook too.

How about Happy Atheist ice-cream Sunday?
Flying Spaghetti with meatballs?
Sceptic scones with 'I can't believe its not butter'?
The Big Bangers and Mash (traditional English dish I assure you)

What do you think?
I suspect that there would be some labored linguistic alterations. For example, "deviled eggs" would probably be changed to "Selfish Choices Eggs", angel food cake becomes "Mythological Celestial Auxiliary Entities Cake"....like that.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,464,266 times
What I find amusing is the theists complaining in other threads that all we do over here is discuss religion. Do they not realize that 90% of the threads started over here are by theists asking repeated questions?

Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,099,347 times
I think it is because they are closet atheist seekers and need us to help them in their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or