Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Hah. It's just me and the dogs here, so my work-from-home attire tends to make me look homeless. It doesn't help that for years, my best friend and I have competed to find the ugliest sweater at Old Navy during the winter season.
Heh ... there is a reason that video phones never caught on ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times
tell them that their right to proselytize does not exist on private property

Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I answer the door and say simply that while I appreciate their concern for my spiritual welfare, I'm Atheist and have no interest in hearing about their faith. Then I wish them well and send them on their way.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
One need not become angry or be unpleasant. If you know they are not someone you want to talk to, you don't have to answer the door. It doesn't matter if it's obvious you're at home. If you answer the door. As soon as you know you're not interested say pleasantly but firmly", Im sorry, I'm not it interested, have a nice day", Than begin to close the door. Do not respond to their questions. If they persist in their message look them straight in the eye and say "goodbye". Give them a second to acknowledge the goodbye, or not, than close the door, either way.
I don't get them very often.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Just recently, TWO Saturday mornings in a row.....woke me up both times.

First time I didn't answer the door.

Second time I opened the window and let them have it.

Told them they woke me up, to get out of here and never come back.

PS...... I left out the swear words per TOS.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

I immediately said, "No, thank you." She persisted with, "Don't you want to know where dead people go?" I assured her I didn't. And I'm quite surprised that anyone who is capable of walking around and knocking on doors can possibly know where dead people go.
And this how you missed out on being in at the ground floor of the zombie apocalypse.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I answer the door and say simply that while I appreciate their concern for my spiritual welfare, I'm Atheist and have no interest in hearing about their faith. Then I wish them well and send them on their way.
I don't appreciate their concern, I am the one responsible for my welfare, spiritual or otherwise.

To walk up to a stranger and ask personal questions about your belief system ......... that takes some brass and is absurdly arrogant. One could counter with a personal question, like do you believe that oral sex makes a relationship stronger?

I get very few here (steep roads, steep driveways, and few houses) probably contribute to most of that, but I may just return a personal question from a stranger, with a very personal question.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
To walk up to a stranger and ask personal questions about your belief system ......... that takes some brass and is absurdly arrogant. One could counter with a personal question, like do you believe that oral sex makes a relationship stronger?
If it makes you feel any better, they do it to each other as well. Just miss attendance at church one Sunday and brace yourself for the smarmy, impertinent question, "Where WERE you last Sunday???". I used to bristle at this and it was all I could do to not blurt out something provocative, like "having sex with animals!".

Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If it makes you feel any better, they do it to each other as well. Just miss attendance at church one Sunday and brace yourself for the smarmy, impertinent question, "Where WERE you last Sunday???". I used to bristle at this and it was all I could do to not blurt out something provocative, like "having sex with animals!".
I'm safe then, cause I can proudly say that I have never been to church on Sunday (or any other day*) in almost 68 years now.

* excluding funerals and weddings that I couldn't get out of. But to 'church' to worship fairy tale characters, or to be told whom I am supposed to hate on Monday ain't happening.

But I don't doubt it does happen.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't think they are really concerned about your spiritual welfare as much as they are concerned about getting one more soul-notch for their belts.

I mistrust any religion that has to do a door-to-door sales pitch to further their cause. I never got why Christians feel they have to do this. It isn't like like army where active recruiting takes place. How can you sell religion door-to-door like Fuller brushes or Avon? It just cheapens the whole idea for me.

It's like saying, "Here, I have this deity to sell you. Oh by the way, I'm also selling magazine subscriptions."

Tacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism