U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:09 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,497,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I love your mom! LOL! Mine told me the only way a college degree could ever be of any value to a female is if she majored in teaching or nursing. This was back in the 50's. The belief of the day that a female going to college for any other reason than to obtain these degrees was only to procure her "Mrs." degree. Since I refused to major in either of the gender approved degrees and was not looking for a husband, my mom refused to pay for my college education.

I went another way and worked my way through college obtaining a bachelor's degree in history. I married later on and divorced with no kids. Like you, I then took the road less traveled of pursuing life without the obligation of parenthood and was much happier for it than if I had followed the life script of doing so.
As a kind of post script; early in the 10th grade I got a particularly lousy grade on the first geometry test of the year. I'm talking like a 30%. My mother panicked and hired a tutor for me to visit a couple of times a week. The plan was that my mother would pick me up after school and drive me to the tutor's house. Well, on the first visit the tutor became frustrated and at the end of the hour session wrote a note, put it in an envelope and told me to give it to my mother when she came to pick me up. The note stated in part, "I do not believe your son has the necessary academic aptitude to warrant my services." My mother was crestfallen. Years later she admitted that it wasn't until that moment that she realized that I was not capable of being a good student and in all probability I was never going to be a Harvard grad, as she had hoped.

My late mother and father both eventually became approving of me and my life choice. When one of my father's buddies questioned why I was in my 40s and not a family man, my father eagerly and perhaps even somewhat proudly proclaimed that I was "my own man".

Oddly, my long-time ladyfriend graduated 4th in her class of over 500 and received several scholarship offers. She is a naturalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 05:32 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,700,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
As a kind of post script; early in the 10th grade I got a particularly lousy grade on the first geometry test of the year. I'm talking like a 30%. My mother panicked and hired a tutor for me to visit a couple of times a week. The plan was that my mother would pick me up after school and drive me to the tutor's house. Well, on the first visit the tutor became frustrated and at the end of the hour session wrote a note, put it in an envelope and told me to give it to my mother when she came to pick me up. The note stated in part, "I do not believe your son has the necessary academic aptitude to warrant my services." My mother was crestfallen. Years later she admitted that it wasn't until that moment that she realized that I was not capable of being a good student and in all probability I was never going to be a Harvard grad, as she had hoped.

My late mother and father both eventually became approving of me and my life choice. When one of my father's buddies questioned why I was in my 40s and not a family man, my father eagerly and perhaps even somewhat proudly proclaimed that I was "my own man".

Oddly, my long-time ladyfriend graduated 4th in her class of over 500 and received several scholarship offers. She is a naturalist.
Life along the same parallels. I flunked geometry in the 10th grade.

And my mom finally became proud of me in later years after seeing all I had achieved on my own. She admitted that she really had enjoyed working and never wanted to marry and have kids but that's what her generation did even more so than mine.

After my disastrous marriage when I did take the plunge, and people asked her, "Why didn't Minerva ever remarry and have kids?" she would proudly reply much as your father to his buddy, "Minerva always was a different spirit."

Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM

878 posts, read 776,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
But alcohol and sex might lead to ... kids! Then what?
Naah, ROe V Wade is still the law of the land. No sweat. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism