U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Why are there very intelligent (doctors, engineers, corporate leaders, professors, PhDs, etc) people who believe the bible?
Compartmentalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The problem isn't the Bible, the problem is the personality and intelligence level of the person who believes in it.
I don't suffer from any personality disorders and I am reasonably intelligent (I've made a good living for 30 years designing and building computer software). Yet I was a theist, and a fairly fundamentalist one, for the first 2 or so decades of my adult life.

I think it's more a function of what you are born into and what frames your reality early on.

After all, intelligent and good people believe all sorts of crazy things that are NOT religious, based on what they were born into. They believe that they are bad, unworthy, unlovable, incapable, deserve to be ill-treated, or that they must wash their hands over and over again, etc., and yet not be unintelligent or of bad character.

It is hard to break out of the box we are born into, no matter what it consists of. It is hard to reject the messages we get from parents, teachers and mentors, even when they are bad and manifestly untrue or ill-adapted ones.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 AM

40,976 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Why are there very intelligent (doctors, engineers, corporate leaders, professors, PhDs, etc) people who believe the bible?
That would be the personality part.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,091,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
.....a quick response to "According to the Bible..." is merely "I do not recognize the Bible as authoritative and I am uninterested in what it has to say about the situation we are facing."
....m.
Best answer so far. Clear, concise and doesn't leave much room for discussion.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM

5,658 posts, read 4,882,904 times
I look at the bible as ,not a single document but a collection of several 66 to be precise ,documents .
The assembly of these was done by several men that believed them selves devoted to a truth, yet remaining men doing the collecting .

Most folks have an issue they protect or attack ,so being able to see things from a different perspective is quite a challenge .
Though I am a christian ,I find my self in conflict wit so many because they have painted the picture they want ,much like many atheist do.
I see things of life very different than most , because I have experienced significantly more extraordinary things through out my short 63 years.
Atheists demand proof but when it is shared you deny it. what's the point ?
If a person really is that concerned with knowing the truth ,wouldn't it be prudent to jump in with both feet to disprove that theory?
How else can you disprove a theory to your own satisfaction ?
Making excuses and blaming, is not an honest approach, you know that.
I do not disembrace science , I love science, there are volumes to learn .
But I'm not falling for some one's making a whole skeleton out of one tooth.
There is so much missing for evolution to be the rule there should be over whelming tons of debris proving the idea .
There simply isn't.
And its not simply man, but the billions of other creatures that would have to have evolved as well.
We are obviously not alone in the universe , more is being revealed all the time .this does not negate what the scriptures reveal, it in some ways confirms it.
Choose to find correlation between science and scriptures and you can learn far more that looking for excuses.
IMO

Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,637,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Though I am a christian

Atheists demand proof but when it is shared you deny it. what's the point ?

But I'm not falling for some one's making a whole skeleton out of one tooth.
There is so much missing for evolution to be the rule there should be over whelming tons of debris proving the idea .
There simply isn't.
And its not simply man, but the billions of other creatures that would have to have evolved as well.
We are obviously not alone in the universe , more is being revealed all the time .this does not negate what the scriptures reveal, it in some ways confirms it.
Choose to find correlation between science and scriptures and you can learn far more that looking for excuses.
IMO
Well at least you admitted it was only an opinion.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 AM

1,647 posts, read 3,008,753 times
Quote:
... there should be over whelming tons of debris proving the idea .
There simply isn't.
There is, and they did.

I do not say this to be insulting. The information is all there to be learned. Once you learn what is known, it is so overwhelming that it cannot be denied. I urge you to devote a few hours to this, and see if you emerge unchanged in your opinions.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:45 AM

15,384 posts, read 12,138,366 times
It usually goes like this...BT= Bible thumper

BT: Jesus said he is the only way.
Me: Were you there? Do you know he actually said that? Do you know the actual context he
might have meant it? Even if he did say it?
BT: The Bible is HS inspired....it is the absolute Truth.
Me: So u think nothing has been altered, deleted, left out innocently , misquoted after decades of
the actual event ...say....the Sermon on the Mount? Every word was remembered accurately?
BT: of course.

Me: Well, then I can't really continue talking to you about this, because you're an
idiot.

I say this in person...it is not allowed on Forums

Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,529,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How many cringe when a statement starts off this way?

How many think, "here we go again" with an unthinking blathering brainwashed person who no further discussion it's available?

It drives me nuts when they start of this way.

Does anyone have a good rejoinder to counteract this right of the bat?
Ooh, you got me, but good! As soon as I read the subject header, I thought "..and according to the sticky about proselytization in this sub-forum..." I was all set to report another bible-thumper coming in here to show us all the error of our ways.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
If a person really is that concerned with knowing the truth ,wouldn't it be prudent to jump in with both feet to disprove that theory?
How else can you disprove a theory to your own satisfaction ?
I did that at the tender age of 6 and full bore to about age 36. Theory disproved.

You forget that many of us have already done just what you suggest. But even apart from that, it is not really how one goes about anything in the real world under normal circumstances as a first choice.

Suppose I told you that snorting cocaine was a great thing and if you really wanted to know the truth about it, wouldn't it be prudent to jump in with both nostrils to disprove that theory ... I suspect you might not feel the need to do that, in order to have very good reasons for rejecting cocaine use as an adaptive life strategy.

If I were not a former theist I would have to look at the value proposition of your belief-system like anything else and I'd have to see a need it filled or a function that it served. If I didn't, it's not like buying, say, a sweater, which I can try on, decide that it doesn't fit or is too itchy, and simply return it. Buying into your belief-system involves public confession of faith, potentially baptism, devotion of time to weekly services and daily devotionals, study of the Bible, prayer, and I'm sure if I did this for, say, 4 weeks and it didn't work, you would consider me a quitter. So it would involve months if not years of effort and the irony is, if it STILL did not work for me, you would not afford me the freedom to decide that for myself, you would insist that its failure was all my fault somehow, and/or, I was never a True Christian (tm) anyway. And your church certainly would not refund any donations I had made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism