U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 AM

506 posts, read 415,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The idea that the Bible makes perfect sense if you have a direct line to god reminds me of Joseph Smith's claims that he could read the documents he allegedly found upon which Mormon revelation and the Book of Mormon are based, thanks to the magic spectacles that he found along with them.

Such statements reflect a desperate need to be right about something that manifestly doesn't hold together upon any objective examination. And it is a perfect illustration of why reason is faith's enemy and why faith is so suspicious of, and often hostile to, reason, objectivity, and science. The "eyes of faith" are actually held forth as a Good Thing.
If you don't mind me asking, what musical instrument do you play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 06:52 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,119,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what musical instrument do you play?
I don't actively anymore, but my instruments were piano and pipe organ. I was good at them but figured out that I wasn't actually that interested ... my identity as a musician was based on the expectation of parents and extended family rather than on any actual fire in my belly. So I focus on other things these days.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:45 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,118,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Compartmentalization.
You say compartmentalization, I say modularity...tomato, tomahto...

A LOT of people with Ph. Ds are useful idiots. I have no degree and I'd challenge any theist Ph. D/MD to an IQ test. I can't think of a single theist whose intellect I respect....

Old 11-14-2013, 03:32 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,377,965 times
People are taught to not question the bible and science does the opposite so many stick to the early teachings. They fear what they may uncover or disturb, they're conditioned to think that way. They get to explore in science so their brain's happy and they maybe console themselves with the fact that they're not complete followers...

Old 11-17-2013, 11:39 AM

269 posts, read 168,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Why are there very intelligent (doctors, engineers, corporate leaders, professors, PhDs, etc) people who believe the bible?
intelligence isn't the problem, willful ignorance is.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,011,728 times
Quote:
Why are there very intelligent (doctors, engineers, corporate leaders, professors, PhDs, etc) people who believe the bible?
Probably because the 'training' about their parents god was started before their potty training was started.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 AM

269 posts, read 168,552 times
another thought...i think when christians say "according to the bible" is a cowardly way of getting out of being held accountable for their biases....

Old 11-22-2013, 03:35 PM

878 posts, read 777,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How many cringe when a statement starts off this way?

How many think, "here we go again" with an unthinking blathering brainwashed person who no further discussion it's available?

It drives me nuts when they start of this way.

Does anyone have a good rejoinder to counteract this right of the bat?
I have one, but you probably won't like it...

Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM

878 posts, read 777,652 times
Quote:
Name three.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:39 PM

7,311 posts, read 4,972,933 times
Well, it is the Word of God, Creator of the Universe, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism