U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM

6,877 posts, read 3,799,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
If you guys were young and still dating, do you think you could date somebody who believes in some religious deity? What about eventually marrying them at a religious ceremony?
Like they were perfect, and you liked everything about them, but they were super religious.
I don't think I could if they were SUPER religious, but if it was one of those girls who kinda believes in a god, but they don't really follow a religion, then I think I could. As long as she was okay with my atheism.
I think as you say if I were young and still dating...possibly. You are more naive obviously when you are younger. But when I think back about the boys I dated back then and who I actually ended up with...probably not. One of the things that attracted me to my husband was his intellect. He's an exceptionally bright person and I deeply admire that. Not saying people who believe in god aren't bright, because I don't believe that to be the case, but a partners intellect is very important to me so I'd have to admire them for their mind. So a belief in god... possibly, if it were just a vague agnostic belief. Religious? I'd agree with you, I'd probably think no. I couldn't see myself having enough in common with someone like that. All the people I admire most in the world just happen to be atheists - I think there is a lot to be said for 'a meeting of the minds'.
Happy Atheists Day everyone.

sent from my Etch-A-Sketch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 AM

6,877 posts, read 3,799,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So long as she was good in bed and didn't bang on about religion then I would have no problem.
And a couple of hours to myself on a Sunday would be welcome too.

I had a GF who was very catholic. She was a bit mystified that I wasn't religious. She also informed me that we were committing a mortal sin by sleping together before we were married. But it never stopped her

You sound like a real catch!

LOL. I'm joking. Your post gave me a good giggle.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM

76 posts, read 81,946 times
When I got married my spouse was atheist and I am religious Christian. I told her the kids would be baptized and she must come to church on Christmas and Easter, and be quiet about her atheism. We would also have crucifix and bibles in the house, along with Christmas decorations and prayers on holiday dinners with family. Since she loved me she was accepting all of that, and we got married in a cathedral.

Few years later, she converted and is now more religious than what I am. She felt guilty and wish she became Christian long time ago, and is mad at her parents for not raising her with a religion. She now attend church every Sunday and teach Sunday school at a mega church. She converted after watching Passion of the Christ and started after reading the gospels.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,355,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You sound like a real catch!

LOL. I'm joking. Your post gave me a good giggle.

It was intended to be light-hearted. But I am a live and let live guy. So long as a GF kept her religion to herself and didn't try to impose it upon me then I would be fine.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:56 PM

10,630 posts, read 4,956,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Nah. Then you'd be stuck in the position of having to spend your time pretending to respect religion.
This^

I couldn't be with a religious person-there's no way that the person could be "perfect" for me except for that "one thing"-
because religiosity encompasses a broad world view in terms of causation, consequences, and interpretations/judgments that I wouldn't agree with.
"Worship" as a behavior makes zero sense to me, I couldn't pretend otherwise.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:08 PM

3,541 posts, read 2,454,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
If you guys were young and still dating, do you think you could date somebody who believes in some religious deity?
You make it sound like old people can't date.

I think the question would be better posed to the religious because they would naturally be the ones who would have a problem with the "unequally yoked" partner, not the other way around.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:10 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,889,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Because not all religious people are that extreme in their beliefs.

Also, do you not have friends with people who are religious? How could you be friends with someone who "believes you're going to be roasting for eternity" etc? How? You probably just don't discuss it. You don't have to pretend. Same goes for other things in life: politics for example. It is impossible for a hard core dem to be friends/married with someone who is a hard core GOPer? No.

A good relationship is an aggregate of many things. Just because one out of 69 aspects are totally opposite, doesn't mean the relationship is doomed.

It happens all the time.
I'm friends with plenty of religious people but I don't share my life with them. There's a HUGE difference. I'm friends with all kinds of people that I'd never share my life with. You're treating a way of life as someone would treat a singular political opinion. Religion effects how one thinks which effects what they do. If the woman I live with is unwilling to do certain things because she fears being punished by an invisible man, that's a problem. If she thinks that this life carries less meaning because the party starts when you die, that is not reconcilable for me.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:13 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,990,656 times
Deal breaker.

Been there, chased this gal, got serious, then realize no way I could deal with that.

Fast forward 40+ years and she came back to town to visit friends........... WOW, made me want to break out in song, specifically Garth Brooks Unanswered Prayers. What a train wreck.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:23 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,104,654 times
I have two answers to this.

In my expirence, the religious girls are often much more inclined to be sexually adventuresome, at least they are when they are over 40.

But don't marry one. They eventually revert to their beliefs. I made that mistake. It didn't last 2 years.

If you want to have fun, great. Date them until it doesn't work any longer. You'll know... It usually will be when they ask you to go to church.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:52 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,828,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasoou View Post
When I got married my spouse was atheist and I am religious Christian. I told her the kids would be baptized and she must come to church on Christmas and Easter, and be quiet about her atheism. We would also have crucifix and bibles in the house, along with Christmas decorations and prayers on holiday dinners with family. Since she loved me she was accepting all of that, and we got married in a cathedral.

Few years later, she converted and is now more religious than what I am. She felt guilty and wish she became Christian long time ago, and is mad at her parents for not raising her with a religion. She now attend church every Sunday and teach Sunday school at a mega church. She converted after watching Passion of the Christ and started after reading the gospels.
I'm pretty sure she wasn't an atheist when you married her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or