U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 PM

794 posts, read 1,197,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I think it might depend though on how bad they are. I mean are we talking Jesus pics on the wall or more like my husband was. Says his prayers silently to himself , crosses himself and rolls over to sleep. He no longer does that, he's changed as he's gotten older and shied away from religion. What if you were really into the person? I think we can be more forgiving of certain things in the case of love. Maybe?
What if they were really into homeopathy? I just couldn't respect them enough to love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,104,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
What if they were really into homeopathy? I just couldn't respect them enough to love them.
I transitioned out of the faith during my second marriage but my wife remained Methodist to the end. She was open to some odd things, homeopathy amongst them, but I still had boundless respect for her. These things are generally compartmentalized beliefs; they seldom denote across the board credulousness.

One of the things that I always appreciated about her was that my apostasy was in no way threatening to her. She understood what was happening to me and why; frankly, bearing witness to her suffering had much to do with it and she was aware of that too. But she never judged me or imposed her thinking on me. Our debates on the topic were always good natured. We cut each other enough slack to be who we were. I think we were living proof that a theist and an atheist could coexist under the same roof. I honestly don't think that it would have ever become an issue that would have undermined our relationship.

When you think about it, you can't know anyone intimately and not discover that they have some ideas and beliefs that you find incomprehensible. If it's just a fascination with homeopathy or chiropractic or kinesiology or something like that ... IMO there are far worse things, like personality disorders, character defects, laziness, dishonesty, etc.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,104,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then there was the deacon's daughter, but she was anything but religious, thought she cause many a guy to say OMG many times. Insatiable is probably the best way to describe her.
I have dated numerous religious women. Let's just say my expirence mirrors what you outlined.

They are not shy, and leave their religion outside the bedroom door. For awhile after my first divorce I in fact "targeted" them due to the fact the all seemed to have the 3 date rule.

I liked that.

I made the mistake of marrying one. She turned ultra fundie after a year, and our marriage lasted only two. We were definetly "unequally yoked".

Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I made the mistake of marrying one. She turned ultra fundie after a year, and our marriage lasted only two. We were definitely "unequally yoked".
Cupper, old buddy, I can only imagine what you must've done to drive her to such a horrible fate! One year with you and she became a raging fundie! She must have started feeling guilty about all the fun she was having ;-)

Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,104,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Cupper, old buddy, I can only imagine what you must've done to drive her to such a horrible fate! One year with you and she became a raging fundie! She must have started feeling guilty about all the fun she was having ;-)
She was SDA for most of her adult life, and I met her when she relapsed out of that fundie sect. Her old friends cajoled her into becoming involved again, and she jumped in with both feet. Was even working towards performing exorcisms, especially on mentally challenged, as it was the devil who made them that way.

Wow, what a trip she was. She looked similar to princess Diana, and enjoyed intimacy (a lot!) but there are limits. The physical only goes so far. We split amicably.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 PM

76 posts, read 81,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Then you are a militant atheist and very intolerant

Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
She was SDA for most of her adult life, and I met her when she relapsed out of that fundie sect. Her old friends cajoled her into becoming involved again, and she jumped in with both feet.
That is too bad. Glad the split was at least amicable and you weren't demonized.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,990,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
A relationship with a woman who is religious is not going to happen. It's too big of an issue for me.
I'd rather be lonely...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Ya right.
John is clearly right. As I posted earlier I pursued a gal in my high school days. She was cute, adventurous, sexy, fun, loving, witty, and seemed like a great catch, yet there was this religion thing, expecially on Sundays.

She ended up with another guy, moved to CA when he was stationed out there (Vietnam was going full blast and many of this generation ended up in the military).

I would hear from her from time to time (she always calls on my birthday), and finally made it back to town after 40+ years. OMG, did I dodge a bullet. I guess the fact she was cute, fun, and sexy momentary blinded me to the true picture. She makes lonely look good.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,473,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasoou View Post
Then you are a militant atheist and very intolerant
And yet YOU are the one who said that you would make a spouse bow to your religious demands.

Never mind. I see Nunnor has been banned again.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 PM

3,571 posts, read 6,189,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And yet YOU are the one who said that you would make a spouse bow to your religious demands.

Never mind. I see Nunnor has been banned again.
Lol I second that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or