U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:59 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,119,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then there was the deacon's daughter, but she was anything but religious, thought she cause many a guy to say OMG many times. Insatiable is probably the best way to describe her.
I feel like the chorus in "Summer Days, Summer Nights" - Tell me more, tell me more

Grease - Summer Nights HD - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,676,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
If you guys were young and still dating, do you think you could date somebody who believes in some religious deity? What about eventually marrying them at a religious ceremony?
Like they were perfect, and you liked everything about them, but they were super religious.
I don't think I could if they were SUPER religious, but if it was one of those girls who kinda believes in a god, but they don't really follow a religion, then I think I could. As long as she was okay with my atheism.
Nope! Not a chance.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,664,486 times
Not happening. Religious a la a member classical theism? No. Spiritual in the non-theistic/Eastern/Pagan sense, sure.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 PM

6,491 posts, read 5,247,893 times
My wife is a Christian (assuming believing in the Christian god and trying real hard not to "sin" qualifies you) but she's not religious, IMO. She doesn't go to church, doesn't pray (at least I haven't heard her pray), very rarely reads the bible, and she's fine with profanity (except neither of us use "bad words" in front of our kid.

So far, the few problems we've had the five years we've been together have stemmed from personality differences, not differences in values or beliefs. Compared to some couples we know who are "better matched", we get along great!

Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,102,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
My wife is a Christian (assuming believing in the Christian god and trying real hard not to "sin" qualifies you) but she's not religious, IMO. She doesn't go to church, doesn't pray (at least I haven't heard her pray), very rarely reads the bible, and she's fine with profanity (except neither of us use "bad words" in front of our kid.

So far, the few problems we've had the five years we've been together have stemmed from personality differences, not differences in values or beliefs. Compared to some couples we know who are "better matched", we get along great!
Exactly. There is something to the Biblical admonition not to be "unequally yoked together" but it is not so much an inherent problem between a believer and an unbeliever as it is a problem between a sufficiently strident, fundamentalist believer and an unbeliever, combined with the maturity on both sides of the relationship (or absence thereof) that allows reasonable amounts of tolerance and forbearance, not trying to force people to be what you want them to be, etc.

It sounds to me like you are never going to be harangued to attend church and you are not likely to have arguments about sending the kids to church. The only danger is if your wife is guilt-prone enough to be suckered into a more legalistic dogma out of, say, anxiety over the perceived "spiritual needs" of the kids. But if she or her family don't have that legalistic background, you're probably good to go.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM

6,491 posts, read 5,247,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Exactly. There is something to the Biblical admonition not to be "unequally yoked together" but it is not so much an inherent problem between a believer and an unbeliever as it is a problem between a sufficiently strident, fundamentalist believer and an unbeliever, combined with the maturity on both sides of the relationship (or absence thereof) that allows reasonable amounts of tolerance and forbearance, not trying to force people to be what you want them to be, etc.

It sounds to me like you are never going to be harangued to attend church and you are not likely to have arguments about sending the kids to church. The only danger is if your wife is guilt-prone enough to be suckered into a more legalistic dogma out of, say, anxiety over the perceived "spiritual needs" of the kids. But if she or her family don't have that legalistic background, you're probably good to go.
Absolutely. Like I said in another thread on the subject, compatibility and longevity of any relationship depend more on attitudes than beliefs. Neither me nor my wife consider the god question worth fighting/competing over. We want our son to be well-informed of facts (including that option A and option B exist), and encouraged to make his own decisions on all else. Anything we do not know for sure, we want to resist the urge to push upon him as a fact. I actually want my son to attend a few church services here or there, so he can see for himself exactly what religion is, and what it isn't. Always felt the seed for tolerance is exposure.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM

328 posts, read 407,540 times
My husband is an on paper Christian. It works for him and me. I respect his beliefs and it's easy for us to coexist because he knows I am simply not trying to hear it, ANY of it, and likewise, I don't push my non beliefs on him. Since he doesn't attend the meetings or strictly adhere, there is no power struggle over teaching blah blah blah to the kids. One place we are in full agreement, is that our kids will choose what to believe. I wonder if I had any impact on him so far as that, because...both of us had the bible beat into us as kids. I escaped, he did not.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 AM

39,247 posts, read 10,913,531 times
How would you guys feel about a religious BF/GF/Spouse?

Start at the top and work my way down.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:04 AM

41,194 posts, read 18,614,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
How would you guys feel about a religious BF/GF/Spouse?

Start at the top and work my way down.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 PM

9,886 posts, read 6,754,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Nah. Then you'd be stuck in the position of having to spend your time pretending to respect religion.
And we finally get to the main issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or