Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM

67 posts, read 189,088 times

Advertisements

If you guys were young and still dating, do you think you could date somebody who believes in some religious deity? What about eventually marrying them at a religious ceremony?
Like they were perfect, and you liked everything about them, but they were super religious.
I don't think I could if they were SUPER religious, but if it was one of those girls who kinda believes in a god, but they don't really follow a religion, then I think I could. As long as she was okay with my atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
Doesn't bother me at all, it's me bothering them that's usually the issue. I love everyone.
As long as they don't brain wash the kids, and agree to let them make religious choices when they are well informed. No problems.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Nah. Then you'd be stuck in the position of having to spend your time pretending to respect religion.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,824 times
[quote=LEROYJENKINS!;32256034] but if it was one of those girls who kinda believes in a god, but they don't really follow a religion, then I think I could. As long as she was okay with my atheism.[quote]

Well basically that where I'm at. My S.O. a very liberal Jewish girl. She believes in a "Higher power" and does/observes some "cultural/religious" events through out the year. Granted I do some "Cultural" things related to Christianity.....say like going over to my family's house and hangout on Xmas day. So I call that even Steven. Honestly we never really talk about religious stuff unless there a upcoming holiday that she wants to do with here family. It Usually never a problem for us. So basically life it good.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,824 times
My husband was a devout catholic when we started dating at 17/18 .. Praying hands and strips of Palm on the walls devout. He prayed every night before bed and did his Hail Marys and Lord's Prayer.. 14 years later we are still together. Religion never got in the way of our lives. I was an Atheist from the time we started dating and still am. He's relaxed greatly and is more Agnostic now than anything. We are raising our daughter Atheist also. We never had religious fights and respected each other's opinion. I love him for him not his views.

The ONLY time it became weird was holidays at his house that required prayer. I do not participate and they ,I think, were uncomfortable with that at first. I did not however hide my non belief. They were not ashamed to show theirs so I wasn't either.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:56 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Nah. Then you'd be stuck in the position of having to spend your time pretending to respect religion.
Why? You wouldn't have to pretend. Just be honest.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM

5,469 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
In most cases, he's probably right that it'd be easier (or necessary) to pretend to respect the other's religion than to show your honest disdain for it. I am not in a relationship, but that's how I handle the situation among family members, nearly all of whom are religious. Of course, if they're Facebook friends with me, they know how I really feel, but in person I try not to ruffle any feathers (I suppose this comment is more apropos of the "grace before meals" thread, but I'm addressing this response, so...)

Last night I read Sam Harris' mini-book/pamphlet "Lying" wherein he espouses/defends the simple idea that one should be as honest as possible. While I agree in theory, in practice the cost-benefit of honesty vs. vagueness/ambiguity (as opposed to outright dishonesty) typically tilts in favor of the latter IMO. I'm all for the occasional (or more frequent than occasional) diplomatic comment/gesture if it aids in keeping the peace.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
My honest attitude is one with no respect for subscription to mythology and superstition.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Super religious? That isn't going to work. Kind of sort of religious? That would probably work.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:36 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My honest attitude is one with no respect for subscription to mythology and superstition.
I understand that. And my suspicion is your partner would understand that too. Ninety nine percent of people would be able to reconcile differing viewpoints on religion easier than they would someone who is a phoney baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism