U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,885,312 times

Advertisements

Atheists have no doctrine or dogma, so we can talk/do about anything we want. I've been to several conventions. The topics typically surround how people cope while recovering from religion, scientific talks, seminars on activism, current methods creationist are using to ease into schools and of course separation of church and state. And night, there are copious amounts of alcohol consumed, comedy shows, magic shows, costume parties, pub crawls and/whatever you want to do.

I hear the OPs question often but I never got it when hanging out with my football teammates, fraternity brothers etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 03:02 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,885,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiaz View Post
or at least not being enforced to go to meetings, pay dues or read newsletters

Yep, and you can start and stop whenever you like without the fear that you'll upset your invisible skydaddy.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,743,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Yep, and you can start and stop whenever you like without the fear that you'll upset your invisible skydaddy.
That's not going to be good for getting the dumb, desperate, and/or poor to commit.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:57 PM

781 posts, read 594,871 times
I'm an atheist and think this kind is an absurd waste of time and energy. I would never join a group of this kind. I've always said I'm not the 'activist atheist' type; I just don't believe. I'm not going to spend my precious irreplaceable time talking about that doesn't exist. I'm just going to go about the business of pursuing my happiness, pursuing my values. This kind of stuff is just reactionary BS.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,972,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
That's not going to be good for getting the dumb, desperate, and/or poor to commit.
Yea, can't recruit through the liberal application of baseless irrational fear of invisible things. All they have is reason and rational thinking. No wonder membership is so low

Old 11-17-2013, 05:30 PM

67 posts, read 164,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
If you are with a group of people, what do you discuss?

Or do you only associate with people who talk about nothing but religion? Now that would be odd to me.
No. most people I associate with aren't religious. What I am saying is we Atheists do not believe in god, so would you go to an atheist convention or join a group for atheists to talk about how much you do not believe in gods? What would be the point in that?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM

67 posts, read 164,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Religion. The only point of atheism is religion. Without religion, atheism would not become apparent, any more than we don't miss the lack of individual or organized opponents of belief in donut - mining Jovian mice.

If donut -mining mice were considered a matter of requisite faith -belief, that their existence was supposed to be taught in our schools, if those who questioned their existence were regarded as morally inferior, doomed to having their heads smashed in with tiny *****xes (I can't believe this - pick -axes) after death, and having a miserable, meaningless and suicidal nihilistic view of existence without such belief, that a science that suggested that there was no good evidence for them should be attacked as closed -minded and flawed, and those who objected to being reminded every trick or treat that the mice is the reason for the season, and huge polystyrene mice (with littell mattocks) and illuminated from the inside were regularly erected in the square at public expense and anyone who said that they had no business there was regarded by senior political personages as not fit to be citizens, then organizations to counter such insanity there would surely be.
I'm not saying America Atheist shouldn't exist (I'm an atheist) i'm saying why are there conventions and what not for the group? It seems odd. Because as you said, atheism is a thing because of religion. So would you go to one of these conventions just to talk about how much you don't believe in god? It just seems a waste of time. Why can't we just say "I don't believe in god" and be done with it?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:28 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,089,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
I'm not saying America Atheist shouldn't exist (I'm an atheist) i'm saying why are there conventions and what not for the group? It seems odd. Because as you said, atheism is a thing because of religion. So would you go to one of these conventions just to talk about how much you don't believe in god? It just seems a waste of time. Why can't we just say "I don't believe in god" and be done with it?
American Atheists is a very small organization -- check out the membership numbers on their site and then compare with the number of self-labeled atheists living in the US. In essence they are a very tiny part of the set of people known as "atheists" who are activists or perhaps zealots and have a high enough interest level to attend a convention of like-minded people. An even tinier group have been running around lately setting up meetings on Sundays they are calling an "atheist megachurch". Atheism is really too thin a concept to go to such lengths over. But that doesn't mean a few people won't try.

I would venture to guess that 95 out of 100 atheists don't even give it much thought and feel no need to be joiners of any kind about that topic specifically. And most of the other 5 are deconverts who had relatively positive experiences and fond memories of theist fellowship and are trying to fill that hole in their lives, plus a smattering of philosophical types like us here on this forum who just enjoy kicking the topic around, and a handful of authors agitating against the un-level playing field in the marketplace of ideas between theism and atheism.

I don't think it's a good idea in general to identify yourself in terms of what you are against and/or don't believe so in the real world, I simply participate in my community as a citizen with respect to causes I believe in and care about. My unbelief informs my interests and priorities, of course, but it is not really a consideration as such.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 PM

41,047 posts, read 18,583,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
My personality is already organization resistant, so in keeping with the above, I feel little need to formalize what is essentially just a part of my overall rationalist approach to life. I wouldn't join an organization devoted to not believing in voodoo, or not believing in reincarnation.

In addition, once people start organizing around a common belief, or in this case a common disbelief, the tendency is for a hierarchy to form and a power struggle to take place within the hierarchy. That leads to the establishment of orthodoxies around which factions rally. Schism occur...this group doesn't believe in the Christian god, while that rival group insists that the focus should be on not believing in the Islamic god. The organization winds up a parody of the thing it is supposed to be opposing.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 AM

278 posts, read 255,547 times
I suppose, if it brings awareness to the alternative to religion.
I'm not joining though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or