Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
I'm an atheist and think this kind is an absurd waste of time and energy. I would never join a group of this kind. I've always said I'm not the 'activist atheist' type; I just don't believe. I'm not going to spend my precious irreplaceable time talking about that doesn't exist. I'm just going to go about the business of pursuing my happiness, pursuing my values. This kind of stuff is just reactionary BS.
That's absolutely fine. They also serve who only stand and disbelieve. Yet the dictum that for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing is true. To do nothing in playing into the hands of those who are putting HUGE effort and dosh into trying to turn the clock back.

It is undoubtedly since the often unsettling but always reasoned, rational and competent argument of prominent militant atheists (even if they eschew the term 'militant' and avoid the term 'atheist') that the demographics have shown a rise in disbelief in what is not deserving of belief, and the pressure must be kept up and stepped up, and then the end may be in sight.

This is to keep the religious off your back, as well as mine. I am cool with your preference for not being active, but your freedom to stand up and say you are an atheist is down to those who are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
I'm not saying America Atheist shouldn't exist (I'm an atheist) i'm saying why are there conventions and what not for the group? It seems odd. Because as you said, atheism is a thing because of religion. So would you go to one of these conventions just to talk about how much you don't believe in god? It just seems a waste of time. Why can't we just say "I don't believe in god" and be done with it?
It is a waste of time. It is the arguing of the claims FOR a God that gives us a discussion point - the reasons why they are not. If the faithful admitted that there is no valid reason to believe other than personal preference (probably based on indoctrination) there would be nothing to argue about - except that having an irrational faith is somehow good, moral and patriotic and those who do not have it are immoral, bad and not fit to be citizens.
So there is another thing to talk about - how to break this pernicious calumny that those who do not believe in fairies are somehow inferior to those who do. That those who attend Startrek conventions are somehow better persons than those who do not.

Apart from the intellectual exercise of debating the evidential rationale for or against theism, it is religion - organized religion - its claim to power, authority and control over us all - that is the subject of discussion.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-18-2013 at 05:06 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 04:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
What do you guys think of the American Atheist Association?

The what?

(rhetorical question so no explanations needed, thank you)

Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Makes as much sense as "not a stamp collector society"

Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
No. most people I associate with aren't religious. What I am saying is we Atheists do not believe in god, so would you go to an atheist convention or join a group for atheists to talk about how much you do not believe in gods? What would be the point in that?
And who says that the reason you give is the actual reason for such a gathering? You keep insisting that Atheists gather to discuss the lack of a god. Yet you claim to be an Atheist. So we know why you would attend, but not everyone thinks as you do. Perhaps attendance is for purely social reasons or to listen to the thoughts of others. These have nothing to do with religion, no matter how much you insist that they do.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:08 PM

67 posts, read 189,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
And who says that the reason you give is the actual reason for such a gathering? You keep insisting that Atheists gather to discuss the lack of a god. Yet you claim to be an Atheist. So we know why you would attend, but not everyone thinks as you do. Perhaps attendance is for purely social reasons or to listen to the thoughts of others. These have nothing to do with religion, no matter how much you insist that they do.
I am not insisting that the gatherings are solely to discuss religion/ the lack of god, if you re read the post I ASK if that is what is discussed, "so would you go to an atheist convention or join a group for atheists to talk about how much you do not believe in gods? What would be the point in that?" Furthermore, if you read all of my posts, not once do I come out and say that the lack of a god is explicitly what is talked about. And as implied by my posts, I would not attend an AA convention, regardless of what events took place, especially if they were to discuss god, which is why I am somewhat confused about when you said, "You keep insisting that Atheists gather to discuss the lack of a god. Yet you claim to be an Atheist. So we know why you would attend, but not everyone thinks as you do". AA just seems kind of stupid to me, there is no need to be part of a group of atheists, because atheists are not bound to a certain doctrine, cause, or belief system. To me, they are on the same level as any old Church, Mosque, or Synagogue.
Also I called it the AAA in the post so some people would not confuse it with groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous.

Last edited by LEROYJENKINS!; 11-18-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 05:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
I am not insisting that the gatherings are solely to discuss religion/ the lack of god, if you re read the post I ASK if that is what is discussed, "so would you go to an atheist convention or join a group for atheists to talk about how much you do not believe in gods? What would be the point in that?" Furthermore, if you read all of my posts, not once do I come out and say that the lack of a god is explicitly what is talked about. And as implied by my posts, I would not attend an AA convention, regardless of what events took place, especially if they were to discuss god, which is why I am somewhat confused about when you said, "You keep insisting that Atheists gather to discuss the lack of a god. Yet you claim to be an Atheist. So we know why you would attend, but not everyone thinks as you do". AA just seems kind of stupid to me, there is no need to be part of a group of atheists, because atheists are not bound to a certain doctrine, cause, or belief system. To me, they are on the same level as any old Church, Mosque, or Synagogue.
Also I called it the AAA in the post so some people would not confuse it with groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous.
Actually though the only atheist convention I have been to was quite interesting. It was Hitchen's last talk and seeing him responding to questions especially questions from older children was quite an experience. Dawkins was also there and spoke about his children's book The Magic of Reality and the kids who were at the Camp Quest portion of the convention were on stage to play with the Ipad app that is included in the book. Several speakers on science were there including PZ Myers and his presentation on why human minds recognize patterns in things that may not actually have patterns was fascinating. For me, the feminists who spoke were fascinating as well. Also, Eugenie Scott spoke about the need to testify before the Texas Board of Education to keep science in our textbooks and seeing how bad the TBOE has been, her view of the struggle was enlightening.

I think attending will depend upon your interest in the speakers and topics really. Of course, this one was also close to me since I live in a suburb of Houston.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM

67 posts, read 189,144 times
Oh also if anyone is a part of AA my posts are in no way meant to offend.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 PM

19,998 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Oh also if anyone is a part of AA my posts are in no way meant to offend.
By the way, IIRC the AA was founded by Madeline Murray O'Hare. That's one strike against them right there. Not meaning to offend, but not caring much if I do, either. Madeline was ... to put it charitably ... a bit "off".

Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
I kind of wanted to attend the 2013 American Atheist Convention, after having seen it mentioned online somewhere. Why, you ask? Well, it was being held in Austin, about which I've heard *some* good things, in late March, which means that the weather around here (Buffalo) was still likely to make one wish for a reprieve via vacation (a friend of mine who's since relocated and I used to commiserate about March being the worst month to endure in Buffalo due to the false hope it typically offers weather-wise), and I noted that AC Grayling was the headline speaker. I read probably around half of this Grayling book (not the first half; I skipped around to find the topics I deemed most interesting) and enjoyed the material that I read quite a bit:

Thinking of Answers: Questions in the Philosophy of Everyday Life: A.C. Grayling: 9780802719720: Amazon.com: Books

...but I didn't end up going.

I'm attracted to any live discussion that could at all be considered remotely philosophical, so that's probably the best account of my interest I could give
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism