U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,112,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually though the only atheist convention I have been to was quite interesting. It was Hitchen's last talk and seeing him responding to questions especially questions from older children was quite an experience. Dawkins was also there and spoke about his children's book The Magic of Reality and the kids who were at the Camp Quest portion of the convention were on stage to play with the Ipad app that is included in the book. Several speakers on science were there including PZ Myers and his presentation on why human minds recognize patterns in things that may not actually have patterns was fascinating. For me, the feminists who spoke were fascinating as well. Also, Eugenie Scott spoke about the need to testify before the Texas Board of Education to keep science in our textbooks and seeing how bad the TBOE has been, her view of the struggle was enlightening.

I think attending will depend upon your interest in the speakers and topics really. Of course, this one was also close to me since I live in a suburb of Houston.
Hitchens, Dawkins, and to a lesser extent PZ = definite attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 AM

269 posts, read 168,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually though the only atheist convention I have been to was quite interesting. It was Hitchen's last talk and seeing him responding to questions especially questions from older children was quite an experience. Dawkins was also there and spoke about his children's book The Magic of Reality and the kids who were at the Camp Quest portion of the convention were on stage to play with the Ipad app that is included in the book. Several speakers on science were there including PZ Myers and his presentation on why human minds recognize patterns in things that may not actually have patterns was fascinating. For me, the feminists who spoke were fascinating as well. Also, Eugenie Scott spoke about the need to testify before the Texas Board of Education to keep science in our textbooks and seeing how bad the TBOE has been, her view of the struggle was enlightening.

I think attending will depend upon your interest in the speakers and topics really. Of course, this one was also close to me since I live in a suburb of Houston.
i wish i was there for that....good for you.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
I didn't know there was such a thing. I can see where it would be helpful for some to feel they were not alone in their thoughts about atheism and to hear speakers talk about the subject regarding the history, social implications and so forth at meetings and the like.

I might be interested in attending a convention such as the poster described who did if one was in my city. But joining a group holding regular meetings would not be for me.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:42 AM

19,846 posts, read 19,943,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I didn't know there was such a thing. I can see where it would be helpful for some to feel they were not alone in their thoughts about atheism and to hear speakers talk about the subject regarding the history, social implications and so forth at meetings and the like.

I might be interested in attending a convention such as the poster described who did if one was in my city. But joining a group holding regular meetings would not be for me.
Ditto
Gays coming out gets all the 'press' but the problems of atheists 'coming out' are similar.
I would say that the real numbers are vastly greater than those published.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,816,751 times
I guess it could be interesting depending on that particular speakers/topics they have planned. I can't imagine ever putting enough energy and time in to actually joining or attending meetings though.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,290,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Makes as much sense as "not a stamp collector society"
And such an organization would make a lot of sense - if we lived in a society filled with laws lifted from the Stamp Collectors Manual, which everyone had to obey regardless of whether or not they were philatelists.

If those who did not collect stamps were the occasional subject of bombings, shootings, and other assorted attacks because of what they did not collect.

If you effectively had to collect stamps to even be considered a viable candidate for higher office.

If the biology curricula of our schools was constantly undermined because the Stamp Collectors Manual suggested an origin of life that did not jibe with evolution.

If marriage laws were defended on the basis of a sentence in chapter 13 of that manual.

If philatelist organizations were tax-exempt.

On one hand, it is fortunate that we don't live in such a society.

On the other hand, we live in a society with beliefs that are no less illogical, and which are ceaselessly push on everyone.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,902,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Religion. The only point of atheism is religion. Without religion, atheism would not become apparent, any more than we don't miss the lack of individual or organized opponents of belief in donut - mining Jovian mice.

If donut -mining mice were considered a matter of requisite faith -belief, that their existence was supposed to be taught in our schools, if those who questioned their existence were regarded as morally inferior, doomed to having their heads smashed in with tiny *****xes (I can't believe this - pick -axes) after death, and having a miserable, meaningless and suicidal nihilistic view of existence without such belief, that a science that suggested that there was no good evidence for them should be attacked as closed -minded and flawed, and those who objected to being reminded every trick or treat that the mice is the reason for the season, and huge polystyrene mice (with littell mattocks) and illuminated from the inside were regularly erected in the square at public expense and anyone who said that they had no business there was regarded by senior political personages as not fit to be citizens, then organizations to counter such insanity there would surely be.

I have added this to my "TOP TEN POSTS OF THE YEAR"
Congrats, and here is your award - love it!! Wish I was clever enough to have written it.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,902,143 times
Ridding the world of prejudice against "myself" would indeed be worth pursuing, (as Arequipa has so wonderfully capsulated) that said, I already belong to groups of people trying to rid the world of prejudice, against all deemed sinful, including myself. The nice thing about these groups is that they include Theists, which I think has a bigger impact. Instead of an atheist only group, I'd prefer more atheists join groups which already fight for freedom for all, not just freedom for atheists specific.

But, it does help to take a stand as the minority because a group does more than an individual. As long as they do it well, without becoming close minded themselves, I can see the benefits. So far it's been a fine line for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or