U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 PM

87 posts, read 115,730 times

Advertisements

The unknowns become too much for some, and religion gives some really easy answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,097,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That was a great post, Mordant. Thanks for writing it.

It sounds like religion was very good for your brother. That's the way it should be.
I have shared elsewhere that the end was not so good, as he was terribly confused at how things were not turning out as they were "supposed" to for him. Confused and deeply hurt. Reality bites. That is the problem for people who have bovine contentment with their religion; reality has a pesky way of intruding. I felt so badly for him those last six months. I did my best to explain that the cancer was not a punishment or his fault somehow, but he died thinking he had somehow failed god -- worried for his widow, too, and felt that his punishment was falling on her, too.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,117,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have shared elsewhere that the end was not so good, as he was terribly confused at how things were not turning out as they were "supposed" to for him. Confused and deeply hurt. Reality bites. That is the problem for people who have bovine contentment with their religion; reality has a pesky way of intruding. I felt so badly for him those last six months. I did my best to explain that the cancer was not a punishment or his fault somehow, but he died thinking he had somehow failed god -- worried for his widow, too, and felt that his punishment was falling on her, too.
That is really too bad, Mordant. However, I can't help laughing at the "bovine contentment" phrase. In many cases, religion seems to help people deal with the reality that bites al of us.

Even though my wife does not go to church, she believes in god, and her faith helped comfort her when her parents died. She found a very, very nice priest to give her father his last rites.

Maybe I will have "Thanatopsis" read at my funeral.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,675,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
What are in your opinion, the main reasons for people to turn to religion? I'm interested in this.
My opinion and maybe my opinion only.
Mentaly weak, afraid of being alone, afraid of death and what may lie beyond our physical hosts life.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,097,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That is really too bad, Mordant. However, I can't help laughing at the "bovine contentment" phrase. In many cases, religion seems to help people deal with the reality that bites al of us.

Even though my wife does not go to church, she believes in god, and her faith helped comfort her when her parents died. She found a very, very nice priest to give her father his last rites.

Maybe I will have "Thanatopsis" read at my funeral.
I like that poem, thanks for mentioning it. I may well have it read at my funeral, too, although funerals are for the living, not the dead, so it will be more like a suggestion than a requirement.

As to my "bovine contentment" remark ... some people are naturally more content and less curious and who am I to disturb such people's composure? Those same people will mostly "live and let live" and will not agitate for the imposition of their beliefs upon me. In general they are not even that easy for others to manipulate to impose anything on me. The worst you can say is that their money will be used for such ends to an extent. My late bro was like that; he was congenial and sweet and diligent. I have another brother, the next in birth order, and his personality combined with his religion in a much less innocuous manner. His name is Dick, and let's just say there are times when he really lives up to his name ;-)

Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM

5,226 posts, read 5,104,825 times
Difficulty accepting an honest and accurate "I don't know." as an answer to these two questions:

1. What is the origin of the universe in general and humanity in particular?

2. What happens to one's consciousness when the physical body dies?

Old 11-21-2013, 01:40 PM

40,150 posts, read 26,789,159 times
Default Main reasons people turn to religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Difficulty accepting an honest and accurate "I don't know." as an answer to these two questions:
1. What is the origin of the universe in general and humanity in particular?
2. What happens to one's consciousness when the physical body dies?
It is not so much a difficulty accepting "We don't know" . . . as it is simply acknowledging the ubiquity, scope, power and control over our existence that this ineffable unknown embodies. You may prefer "We don't know" . . . but we prefer to acknowledge the status relative to us of what we don't know using the title God.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM

328 posts, read 407,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
What are in your opinion, the main reasons for people to turn to religion? I'm interested in this.
Fear and ignorance. Some even fear their own individual power. For others, religion is a way to excuse their personal responsibility. The fact that some evangelicals believe that the Earth is 4-6 thousand years old and that humans walked with dinosaurs is tragic ignorance. Education is available at one's fingertips in our era.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:50 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,117,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
The fact that some evangelicals believe that the Earth is 4-6 thousand years old and that humans walked with dinosaurs is tragic ignorance.
We did more than just walk. We tamed them!

Because we know that The Flintstones was a documentary

Old 11-22-2013, 12:11 AM

269 posts, read 168,185 times
fear of reality...

but there are many more reasons i am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism