Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

First of all, apologies to our visiting Christian friends to the atheist forum, I hope this thread will be taken in good humour.
I've been meaning to post this for years but can no longer resist.

I first heard about 'The Great Disappointment' on my favourite British comedy quiz show 'QI' where I also learnt about The Rapture (sorry yes I am very behind the times with this sort of thing).

I wondered how many of you had heard about the website Raptureready.com?

Rapture Ready - Rapture resource for the end times

Which includes such fascinating categories as:
A quiz called 'Are you rapture ready?'
The Choice: Jesus or Satan

Oops, I guess I wasn't ready
Oops, I Guess I Wasn't Ready!

and letters left behind for those not invited to the Rapture
Left Behind Letters

For more mirth, here's the hilarious bit from QI which discusses The Rapture and The Great Disappointment...

QI: Religious Cults - YouTube

Last edited by Cruithne; 11-18-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
The Rapture Ready folk provide the bulk of the scorn for Fundies say the Darndest Things. They have a website but your head gets sore from all the face palms so you can only take it in small doses.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The Rapture Ready folk provide the bulk of the scorn for Fundies say the Darndest Things. They have a website but your head gets sore from all the face palms so you can only take it in small doses.
Why go there at all?

I find it odd atheists spend the bulk of their time focused on something they don't believe in.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Why go there at all?

I find it odd atheists spend the bulk of their time focused on something they don't believe in.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Old 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Why go there at all?

You must be very young and uninformed about much in life. At a time FSDT was a comic relief for boredom long before face book.

We spend our time countering religion as we had so many years vested in the twaddle. There is very little use for detailed biblical and church history knowledge except to help doubters out of the madness called religion.

You would fall into the rapture ready crowd based on your thread in the xian forum. It is obvious you have no clue where this doctrine originated. Hint there is no escape from this life except by death. Your grand delusions of some magical rescue is just that, a magical rescue that will never ever happen.

If you have lived your whole life in a bubble, I guess it is scary when others do not share your sentiments.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Why go there at all?

I looked up some of your other posts to determine your status in relation to religious belief and it appears that you are among the faithful.

That raises the question of what you are doing in the Atheist Forum criticizing them for having an interest in "something they don't believe in." In that you do not subscribe to atheism, why is your focus on us?

So, why is our interest "odd" while yours is not?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Why go there at all?

The vast majority of atheists don't give it much if any thought. Some of us, mostly deconverts, do penance for our years in theism in places like this by providing some needed and overdue pushback on theism, which has had a free pass for too long on its baseless assertions. Also, we occasionally have the pleasure of helping fellow travelers out of theism and adjusting to reality.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I looked up some of your other posts to determine your status in relation to religious belief and it appears that you are among the faithful.

That raises the question of what you are doing in the Atheist Forum criticizing them for having an interest in "something they don't believe in." In that you do not subscribe to atheism, why is your focus on us?

So, why is our interest "odd" while yours is not?
It popped up in the active forums section. I didn't know it was the atheist section.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
It popped up in the active forums section. I didn't know it was the atheist section.
What you mean despite this being my opening:
"First of all, apologies to our visiting Christian friends to the atheist forum, I hope this thread will be taken in good humour."

Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM

I was responding to the post below that, which is the post that popped up in the most recent post section.

You can see I quoted that particular post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism