U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times
Reputation: 37474

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
If you all feel as you do, how do you all deal with your family & relatives and friends who invite you over for the holidays~? Seems like holidays involve faith, so that may be difficult to participate since what you don't believe may conflict with those around you, right~?
Cutting down a tree and propping it up in the living room and then draping it with tinsel and ornaments, having a nice dinner, exchanging gifts - these things have no more to do with Christianity than an Easter egg hunt has to do with pagan fertility rites, or trick-or-treating has to do with whatever the distant pagan and/or Christian roots of Halloween may be.

Christmas has largely been co-opted as a secular holiday in the West, a bit amusing considering that Christmas itself was the co-option of pagan solstice festivals. The vast majority of what constitutes the celebration of Christmas has no more to do with Christianity than calling the middle day of the week 'Wednesday' has to do with Norse paganism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Reputation: 12991
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
If you all feel as you do, how do you all deal with your family & relatives and friends who invite you over for the holidays? Seems like holidays involve faith, so that may be difficult to participate since what you don't believe may conflict with those around you, right?
If you're a Christian, have you ever tried joining in Jewish, Muslim, Hindu or other religious celebrations?

Some of them make Christmas look humdrum by comparison. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,044,934 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you're a Christian, have you ever tried joining in Jewish, Muslim, Hindu or other religious celebrations?

Some of them make Christmas look humdrum by comparison. ;-)



I'm not a Christian and I do partake in other religious celebrations

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What in your life has brought you to being Atheist & Agnostic~? Did you have a religious upbringing in a faith that caused you to leave what you once believed in~? Or you came from a strict family of religion~? I'm curious. I do have a friend who is one of these, I forgot which. He's an animal activist and vegetarian of which when he came into being both his faith no longer seem to click, or it sounded like to me. Plus, he told me that faith fight wars and always fighting over something which bothered him. I kind of agree on this since many countries fight due to faith. Also, he didn't have such a religious upbringing either.
I never had a religious upbringing. My parents, even though they are Christian, live very secular. They stopped taking me to sunday school when I was like six, because they got too busy with other parts of their lives. That was the last day anyone in my house went to church, which I remember clearly.

I pretty much have always been an Atheist. I would hear what religious people would say to me about their religion and I would think, "Wow, where do they get this stuff from? This doesn't even make sense!" I think to me it was clear that I did not believe in a religion when I heard about creationism and how religion supports that, and how the earth is only several thousand years old, and I believed in evolution since I knew about it and there was proof that the earth is much older. The second I knew they could lie and hide knowledge from people, the second I stopped supporting such a thing.

But I never thought, "Yes, there is a God."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: The backwoods of Pennsylvania ... unfortunately.
5,846 posts, read 3,354,843 times
Reputation: 4055
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you're a Christian, have you ever tried joining in Jewish, Muslim, Hindu or other religious celebrations?

Some of them make Christmas look humdrum by comparison. ;-)
There is no Christmas celebration in the Hindu faith. Only Christians celebrate Christmas in India and they do pretty much the same things that Western Christians do. For those who believe in Ganesh, there is Pancha Ganapati which is similar to Christmas with gift-giving, feasting, etc., but there aren't any trees and such.

In short, you can't really attend a Hindu "Christmas" since that is a bit of a paradox. It would be like asking a Christian if he has undertaken his pilgrimage to Mecca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,522 posts, read 2,446,919 times
Reputation: 23978
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What in your life has brought you to being Atheist & Agnostic~? Did you have a religious upbringing in a faith that caused you to leave what you once believed in~? Or you came from a strict family of religion~? I'm curious. I do have a friend who is one of these, I forgot which. He's an animal activist and vegetarian of which when he came into being both his faith no longer seem to click, or it sounded like to me. Plus, he told me that faith fight wars and always fighting over something which bothered him. I kind of agree on this since many countries fight due to faith. Also, he didn't have such a religious upbringing either.
Seems that I answered the same question before in one of the many other threads asking the same exact thing but here we go again. It seems you've asked the same thing 3 times leaving no room for those who weren't raised religiously. But it just so happens that I was raised as a fundamentalist and being free from that finally is well.....freeing.

It was forced upon me since birth and I never had any inclination to question it because of the fear of eternal damnation. I started to question though even so as the eternal hellfire thing just wasn't adding up for me. That led me to Universalism which eventually led me to agnosticism.

Science and the reality that there is no proof of the existence of a deity is what ultimately did it. The cold hard facts are enough to keep me as an agnostic atheist. We need undeniable proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2013, 08:19 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,044,934 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Seems that I answered the same question before in one of the many other threads asking the same exact thing but here we go again.
I don't know what your talking about This is the first time I posted such a question and I've never been in this room before now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,522 posts, read 2,446,919 times
Reputation: 23978
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I don't know what your talking about This is the first time I posted such a question and I've never been in this room before now.
Ok calm down, I don't recall saying it was you asking the same questions, it's just been asked several times before on different threads. If newbies would do a search before posting then you would see what I'm talking about. So that's all that you gleaned from my post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,029 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Reputation: 66369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
There is no Christmas celebration in the Hindu faith. Only Christians celebrate Christmas in India and they do pretty much the same things that Western Christians do. For those who believe in Ganesh, there is Pancha Ganapati which is similar to Christmas with gift-giving, feasting, etc., but there aren't any trees and such.

In short, you can't really attend a Hindu "Christmas" since that is a bit of a paradox. It would be like asking a Christian if he has undertaken his pilgrimage to Mecca.
The person to whom you're responding said nothing about a Hindu Christmas whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 PM
 
Location: The backwoods of Pennsylvania ... unfortunately.
5,846 posts, read 3,354,843 times
Reputation: 4055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The person to whom you're responding said nothing about a Hindu Christmas whatsoever.
*shrug* It sounded as though he or she was ... as if the Christmas celebrations of other faiths put ours to shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top