U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 PM

17,303 posts, read 19,577,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
*shrug* It sounded as though he or she was ... as if the Christmas celebrations of other faiths put ours to shame.
I was making the point that if a Christian can still enjoy a religious celebration of a completely different faith even though the Christian doesn't believe in it, then an atheist can certainly enjoy Christmas.

It is exactly the same thing. That's what tolerance is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 PM

40,107 posts, read 26,772,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I was making the point that if a Christian can still enjoy a religious celebration of a completely different faith even though the Christian doesn't believe in it, then an atheist can certainly enjoy Christmas.
It is exactly the same thing. That's what tolerance is all about.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:44 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,026,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What in your life has brought you to being Atheist & Agnostic~? Did you have a religious upbringing in a faith that caused you to leave what you once believed in~? Or you came from a strict family of religion~? I'm curious. I do have a friend who is one of these, I forgot which. He's an animal activist and vegetarian of which when he came into being both his faith no longer seem to click, or it sounded like to me. Plus, he told me that faith fight wars and always fighting over something which bothered him. I kind of agree on this since many countries fight due to faith. Also, he didn't have such a religious upbringing either.
Being born.....

Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,919,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
*shrug* It sounded as though he or she was ... as if the Christmas celebrations of other faiths put ours to shame.
Celebrations - not Christmas Celebrations. Diwali was in November this year.

Eid was in late October

Houston, Texas - www.pac-usa.org Eid Picnic 2013 @ACC on Sunday October 20,2013. - YouTube

Diwali was in November

Diwali & Annakut 2013, Houston, TX - YouTube

Diwali & Annakut 2013, Toronto, Canada - YouTube

Hannukah was in November close to Thanksgiving this year

Hanukkah 2013 - YouTube

Kwanza is coming up December 26 to January 2

35th Annual Kwanzaa Celebration - YouTube

Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,978,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Being born.....
Exactly, everyone is born an atheist.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:55 AM

354 posts, read 246,030 times
I do not have an active belief a god exists, thus I am an atheist. At the same time I do not claim to have evidence against any and all potential gods existing, thus I'm also mostly agnostic on the subject. We do however have evidence that strongly suggests most, if not all of the anthropogenic gods are fabrications and do not exist independently of their concept. Most of the things these gods are claimed to have done are fairly easily dismissed as human myth and thus lends strong credence to the fact that these gods are most likely myths themselves.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:31 AM

39,206 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Yes. While I do not buy into any of the religions, I can be tolerant about the festivals and celebrations and even enjoy them.

The question of a possible cosmic creator, the god of all religions or none, is another matter altogether and I certainly can't say with any degree of certainty: 'That God does not exist'.

At the same time, since we don't know anything much about how the universe was formed - by which I mean, where the matter came from that coalesced into the Big bang which is supposed to have formed our universe at least - nor for that matter where life came from, though we do have convincing evidence of how it developed once it had got as far as the groups of cells - Sortagod or the cosmic mind that runs the universe, aka the god of Einstein, can't be ruled out as a serious possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism