U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:44 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,270,970 times

Advertisements

I had no overt religious upbringing. However, even growing up in a part of the United States where religion is relatively low-key (Minnesota), one is essentially given a religious upbringing of sorts simply by being within a religious society. So at one point I had this awareness that there was a God in the same way that I had an awareness that there were ghosts and aliens visiting Earth. One simply absorbs such things from culture.

But as a child I was a voracious reader, and very interested in science. Delving into actual fact-based understandings of the world, along with the rigorous logic applied in order to gain scientific understandings, disabused me of the notion that there were deities, ghosts, or little green men among us.

Basically, once I actually thought about it to any critical degree, the vacuousness of the proposition that there is a deity of any sort became obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 05:25 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,006,739 times
I took it upon myself to convince an atheist that he should become a Christian. When I tried to organize and prepare my case, it all fell apart for me.

I married him.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:25 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,077,440 times
I was a pretty compliant child who grew up in a nominally but barely practicing Christian household. When I was 3, my family converted to a fundamentalist sect and I "accepted Jesus" at the age of 5. Our denomination wasn't as overtly hateful as Ohio Hello shared concerning the KJV-only conservative Baptist hellfire church her parents got into. But it qualified, I think as smug. At any rate, I grew up thinking that if I loved god and was a good boy all would be well. Long story short, that didn't prove to be true. At all. It took a lot of that cognitive dissonance for me to get past the fear of causing disappointment and confusion in my extended family and the anxiety of losing the various psychological crutches I had grown used to, but gradually over the first 20 years or so of my adult life, I departed from my faith and eventually admitted to myself that I was an atheist. I have embraced that fully in the past decade plus, and the fresh air is wonderful.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
No religious upbringing for me. The idea of god(s) makes no sense to me.

I'm also a happy meat eater.
Yeah, I am the same way, and I am kind of surprised to find others just like me.

Still, since we are in this DG, I guess we must have some fascination with religion.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
the fresh air is wonderful.
That's right. Our lives are as simple as the lives of the leaves that are now dying and covering my grass.

Now I have to decide if I want to rake those suckers or if my wife wants to go to our favorite place for french toast and an omlet. Retirement is full of challenges.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What in your life has brought you to being Atheist & Agnostic?
I came to realize that science disproves everything about religion and the supernatural.

That's all there is to it.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 AM

20,331 posts, read 10,439,989 times
I was raised partially religious. Mom was a serious churchgoer, dad a non believer. Mom made all of the kids go to church for every event every week, sometimes 4 or 5 times a week. I was a member of the choir, went to bible camp every summer, went to religious schooling for 6 years. I never questioned anything.

When I was 11 or 12 I got suspended from my baptist school for questioning the bible teacher. I loved science, and did well in it, questioning is part of science and I didn't see why the bible should be any different. After that suspension there were more, for the same reasons (and one for chewing gum in band). I began to question my Sunday school teachers and couldn't accept "the bible says" as an answer. My questions got me kicked out of Sunday school for being disruptive.
Mom decided it would be better for me to stay home with dad on church days.

After I got out on my own, I began researching many different religions, visited many different churches, and decided that they all have some good teachings, but no facts. I still love to learn about different religions, and still get myself into trouble for asking questions. I guess I never grew out of the "why" phase of life, and hope I never do. I teach my children to question everything. All of them have been encouraged to study any religion they want, we have been to many many different churches. My oldest (21) loves Buddhism, my middle child (19) attends a UU church, the youngest (9) would rather spend his weekends in the woods. They will find their own path.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:25 AM

39,028 posts, read 10,819,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I was a pretty compliant child who grew up in a nominally but barely practicing Christian household. When I was 3, my family converted to a fundamentalist sect and I "accepted Jesus" at the age of 5. Our denomination wasn't as overtly hateful as Ohio Hello shared concerning the KJV-only conservative Baptist hellfire church her parents got into. But it qualified, I think as smug. At any rate, I grew up thinking that if I loved god and was a good boy all would be well. Long story short, that didn't prove to be true. At all. It took a lot of that cognitive dissonance for me to get past the fear of causing disappointment and confusion in my extended family and the anxiety of losing the various psychological crutches I had grown used to, but gradually over the first 20 years or so of my adult life, I departed from my faith and eventually admitted to myself that I was an atheist. I have embraced that fully in the past decade plus, and the fresh air is wonderful.
Yep. If one were to sum up what atheism has to offer: Fresh Air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I was raised partially religious...

After I got out on my own, I began researching many different religions, visited many different churches, and decided that they all have some good teachings, but no facts. I still love to learn about different religions, and still get myself into trouble for asking questions. I guess I never grew out of the "why" phase of life, and hope I never do. I teach my children to question everything. All of them have been encouraged to study any religion they want, we have been to many many different churches. My oldest (21) loves Buddhism, my middle child (19) attends a UU church, the youngest (9) would rather spend his weekends in the woods. They will find their own path.
Good post, pardon me for clipping. Yes, there are good teachings in churches and out of it, but not being religious means that you don't have to stick to one set of teachings and swallow it all without question.

You make a very good point that you don't teach atheist dogma; you let the kids find their own way. I gather that all atheists would take that line.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: atheism...what about it?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You make a very good point that you don't teach atheist dogma; you let the kids find their own way. I gather that all atheists would take that line.
That's how we raised our kids. Our daughter (40) is a believer but never goes to church and our son (35) recently got baptized as an Episcopalian. Our grandaughter (14) worships One Direction but I think she will outgrow that phase of her life.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,043,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Your question assumes that some of us have been anything but. I was not brought to a position of not believing there is a god. I was never IN ONE in the first place. I simply never, at any point in my life, thought there was one.

So for me at least your question makes as much sense as walking up to a Black Man and asking him what turned him Black.

No, I think your interpreting my question wrong as far as race goes. Some families overpower their kids with faith growing up while others don't have any. So you should never presume, but perhaps one's upbringing had something to do with their turn away from faith.

Quote:
In my late teens, my parents started attending a very conservative Baptist church with a very conservative pastor from our neighbor to the south, Kentucky. I was expected to go when I was home from college. Nice jeans/trousers and a nice top were unacceptable; I had to wear dresses (which I was NOT okay with) to conform to some unspoken rule. I tried to escape to my boyfriend's Methodist church on Sundays when I could, as they were all very kind, loving, and uplifting.
I'm from Kentucky also and some of the Baptist faith are very strict in their beliefs, like no dancing, drinking, makeup, etc. One gal I met years ago from Ohio was kicked out of the Baptist Church because she wore makeup.

Quote:
What is UU~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That's how we raised our kids. Our daughter (40) is a believer but never goes to church and our son (35) recently got baptized as an Episcopalian. Our grandaughter (14) worships One Direction but I think she will outgrow that phase of her life.
What is One Direction~?

Anyways, I know people of different faiths and we all get along. But some people I have met in life had issues of their upbringing but never turned away from the Supreme Being of what they believed in. I've known others to totally leave their faith for another one that they felt was better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism