U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:30 AM

39,683 posts, read 11,069,440 times

Advertisements

Yes. There are those who always believe in the 'Supreme being' and i supose I have room for that concept. But I have seen no valid evidence to show that there is any such thing. And believe me, I have seen the best at arguing for it.

While they believe in the 'Supreme being' they might shop around for a religion that seemed to be right, fit in with their views or just be convenient. I had a look at various religions, but I never wavered in my disbelief in the Supreme Being and ended up leaving the 'God' -thing in the pending -tray and got on with what mattered - countering the worthless claims of organized religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,141,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That's right. Our lives are as simple as the lives of the leaves that are now dying and covering my grass.

Now I have to decide if I want to rake those suckers or if my wife wants to go to our favorite place for french toast and an omlet. Retirement is full of challenges.
French toast and omelet, without question!

Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,141,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What is UU~?
Universalist / Unitarian
Quote:
What is One Direction~?
Hopefully Hiker will address that, it's a new one on me.
Quote:
Anyways, I know people of different faiths and we all get along. But some people I have met in life had issues of their upbringing but never turned away from the Supreme Being of what they believed in. I've known others to totally leave their faith for another one that they felt was better.
People don't make changes unless the pain of not changing exceeds the pain of changing. More experienced people anticipate the pain and don't wait for it to develop fully, but for the most part, we are pragmatists. If theism works and the leaky abstraction doesn't drip directly on you, then you will stay with it.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,131,221 times
Quote:
What is One Direction~?
That rock you have been living under must be soundproof.

Our daughter and grandaughter went to one of their services and only had to tithe about $250 each. They said it was well worth it.

Our grandaughter claims she is engaged to the blonde guy. I doubt he even knows it.

There are worse things to worship.

One Direction - One Thing - YouTube

Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,066,268 times
Quote:
That rock you have been living under must be soundproof.

Our daughter and grandaughter went to one of their services and only had to tithe about $250 each. They said it was well worth it.

Our grandaughter claims she is engaged to the blonde guy. I doubt he even knows it.

There are worse things to worship.

You mean that they request you have to pay $250~? Someone is out for the bucks it seems and soon you
will be seeing them driving a nice new car or purchase a nice house with that donation. I sure wouldn't do it~!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 PM

243 posts, read 390,956 times
Quote:
What is One Direction~?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hopefully Hiker will address that, it's a new one on me.
Quote:
You mean that they request you have to pay $250~? Someone is out for the bucks it seems and soon you
will be seeing them driving a nice new car or purchase a nice house with that donation. I sure wouldn't do it~!
Veggie, Hiker was making a joke. A funny one actually, if you understand who 1D is.

They are this generation's *NSYNC. Or if you prefer, New Kids On The Block. Or if you prefer, The Beatles?

I've never heard one of their songs, but their name is seemingly inescapable thanks to Taylor Swift and legions of fans on Twitter.

One Direction merely requests that you donate $250 in exchange for concert tickets. In the world of teenage girls who follow boy bands around like cult leaders and treat song lyrics as gospel, it is indeed a worship service .

Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,131,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
One Direction merely requests that you donate $250 in exchange for concert tickets.
Actually, our daughter bought five of those $250 tickets because three of her daughter's friends wanted to attend the 'service'.

When her friends changed their plans, our daughter easily sold them for $350 each. Who says religion doesn't pay?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,066,268 times
The reason I said what I did was, there are religions which have memberships instead of a tithe.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,132,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Actually, our daughter bought five of those $250 tickets because three of her daughter's friends wanted to attend the 'service'.

When her friends changed their plans, our daughter easily sold them for $350 each. Who says religion doesn't pay?
Someone got 'scalped'.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:35 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,772,213 times
I'm an Agnostic because I was looking for a label to describe my human conundrum and because Faith (as opposed to Hope) proved itself inferior to Doubt. I got so much permanent knowledge and growth from Doubt and Struggle. From Faith I got an ephemeral contentment which was obviously biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism