U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 PM

269 posts, read 168,145 times

Advertisements

i was brought up in an evangelical home.
went to bible college to study for the ministry...
lead youth group out reaches...i was not shy of my belief and volunteered to be in the hot seat in my comparative religious class...the whole shebang...i was totally convinced that i knew the creator of the universe on a personal basis....i was so grateful of being able to understand the grace god had given to me...until i thought about something that i finally came to terms with; the condition of belief for my eternal salvation....

from there i became a mother and understood for the first time what unconditional love was...you simply just love that person who you gave birth to, there is no choice in the matter...not that i am saying all mothers feel what i feel...i am sure many do...but i am strictly speaking from my POV..which finally settled it for me ....gods conditions were bogus..and man made, literally.

then it went from there to seeing how women and homosexuals were being marginalized by an opinion that is not supported with objective evidence and understanding how deep the hooks of this superstition is buried into the fabric of our society where we can justify people being discriminated against in the name of religious freedom, while supremacist were seen as deviant people...so then i began to see christianity as a means to justify double standards and sociopathy...

and then i realized i was an anti theist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I took it upon myself to convince an atheist that he should become a Christian. When I tried to organize and prepare my case, it all fell apart for me.

I married him.
hahhah....

Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 PM

i would venture to say that those who were brought up in the faith, once they were exposed to a world outside their bubble that resonated with them...it was the beginning of the end of the faith...but of course the faithful would call that the devil...
muhahhahha

Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 PM

17,196 posts, read 13,747,109 times
Nothing really. Church was big for me as a kid, but I was just never really in to it. All the god stuff just didn't seem that likely.

No big road back from Damascus moment for me.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:07 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,022,037 times
I was brought up in a religious Russian Orthodox household. I used to drive my parents and the monks who taught Sunday school crazy with "But why? But how?"
They would shout in exasperation "Because it's in the Bible, that's why!!"
As far as I was concerned, that was no answer at all. Even as a child, I knew that.
The older I got, the less sense it made.
Throwing off the yoke of religion made me a very happy camper, indeed.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,091,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiaz View Post
i was brought up in an evangelical home.
went to bible college ....

from there i became a mother and understood for the first time what unconditional love was...you simply just love that person who you gave birth to, there is no choice in the matter...not that i am saying all mothers feel what i feel...i am sure many do...but i am strictly speaking from my POV..which finally settled it for me ....gods conditions were bogus..and man made, literally.
I had a similar, dude version of this experience that was influential for me, although it didn't settle everything on the spot for me. When my daughter was born (my first child) I was, as they say in the UK, gob-smacked by the completely unexpected, complicated yet primally simple paternal sentiments that arose in me ... I loved her immediately, fiercely, and protectively ... and still do, more than 30 years later. And this is when I lost any residual concerns or fears I might have had about the broadness of god's shoulders. He did not need my protection for his fragile ego or tender feelings; if I had doubts, even angry issues, he could most certainly deal with them without his world flying apart or him feeling the need to chain me in a pool of boiling water with flames licking at me from every side, forever and ever.

For a long time I assumed god wasn't man made too, that it was just the hellthreat doctrines and some other stuff that caused him to be misunderstood ... but eventually I was able to see that human invention went far further than embellishment of capital-T Truth. It extended to the creation of "Truth".

Old 11-24-2013, 11:44 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,972,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yeah, I am the same way, and I am kind of surprised to find others just like me.

Still, since we are in this DG, I guess we must have some fascination with religion.
It is not a fascination, but more a know your enemy perspective toward religions, the greatest man-made threat to mankind's future.

A decade of war(s) that has financially bankrupt our country over what, killing in the name of religion. A president that said that he believes god told him to invade a sovereign country (that had nothing to do with 9/11). Religions are the greatest threat to our future that we have control over.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiaz View Post
i would venture to say that those who were brought up in the faith, once they were exposed to a world outside their bubble that resonated with them...it was the beginning of the end of the faith...but of course the faithful would call that the devil...
muhahhahha
A fair statement. Either that, or the bubble fails to be an adequate abstraction for interacting with the real world. That was more the deal for me. "Resonating" with the outside world came later, when I was able to regard the outside world with less built-in suspicion. Now I love the flexibility, that all ideas are on the table, the opportunity for outside-the-box thinking, etc., but I saw those as threats before.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:48 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,526,148 times
I grew up a Jehovah's Witness. When my mom divorced my dad, she got disfellowshipped (shunned) and it sort of tore my family apart. My dad was really never gung-ho about the religion so he stopped going altogether and never really looked back. My mom tried to keep going for a number of years but eventually stopped.

I started researching religion myself and found that most major religions are based off of old deities and prophets from Pagans and Egyptians. Jesus' story is almost word for word the same story as the Egyptian prophet Horus who was also given the title "KRST" meaning "anointed one". The thing is, even Pagans, etc don't even believe in Osiris, Horus, etc anymore (what Jesus seems to be based on to me). Another thing that bothered me is that allegorical literature was extremely common back when the gospels were written some 100 years after Christ (supposedly) walked the earth so it's extremely likely that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John weren't aware that they were writing what would become history. It casted a lot of doubt in me.

Since then I have studied a lot of science (specifically astrophysics) and that has really cemented me away from God. The more I learn about the universe, the less likely it seems that an all powerful God created it. Deities and prophets just seem very old world and represent an antiquated way of thinking.

Last edited by Adric; 11-24-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I grew up a Jehovah's Witness. When my mom divorced my dad, she got disfellowshipped (shunned) and it sort of tore my family apart. My dad was really never gung-ho about the religion so he stopped going altogether and never really looked back. My mom tried to keep going for a number of years but eventually stopped.
I'm curious how your Mom persevered given that she was shunned for the "sin" of divorce. It's ironic that she was the one that tried to hang on and your Dad (who I presume was not shunned) threw in the towel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism