U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 AM

3,564 posts, read 6,182,415 times

Advertisements

Truth hurts. Made me laugh when I saw it on tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 AM

243 posts, read 389,869 times
Appropriate classification.

The conservative right is always claiming that we have become too PC and people wrongly get offended over every little thing. It's hypocritical of those same people to make a fuss over this.

I'm disappointed that Costco felt the need to apologize over this.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,092,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I see no problem calling it a Reference book...of Judeo~Christian beliefs.
It's a combination of stories and teachings so not purely reference; I understand the Library of Congress classifies it under Doctrinal Theology and I think this is the most accurate.

If I were Costco I'd quit openly printing classifications on the tags, they can go with A, B, C ... the classifications they would use would probably be more to help organize the stocking of shelves and management of inventory than to actually seriously classify the books. That way they can deal with their internal needs without offending anyone or being second-guessed by anyone. I doubt that anyone would take umbrage to the Bible happening to be next to Gone Girl (#1 NYT fiction best seller) although they may have a malfunction with Fifty Shades of Grey (#2) ...

Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,459,312 times
I don't understand what the big deal is. If the tag is so offensive to you, buy the book, take off the tag. Problem solved.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,673,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post

So some bibles in Costco stores were (rightfully) labeled fiction. I think it's just foreshadowing how most will view the bible in a couple decades. As expected Costco apologized because foxnews and some butthurt pastor through a fit. Anyway, any thoughts?

'Fiction' Label On Bibles At Costco Shocks Pastor [UPDATE]
Well. I don't know who/what/where/why the book was labeled a particular way. And I actually don't care either way. But I do understand why Costco apologized so quickly. Basically they just don't want to deal with the possibility of a major the backlash....even if it would only be short term.

outrage/backlash = < money = lower share prices = shareholders.

And the only reason for Costo (corporations in general) to exist it to please it shareholders.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,975,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
Appropriate classification.

The conservative right is always claiming that we have become too PC and people wrongly get offended over every little thing. It's hypocritical of those same people to make a fuss over this.

I'm disappointed that Costco felt the need to apologize over this.
Many people wake up each with a single goal that must be accomplished that day. The goal is to find something to be offended by, and express it is indignation and outrage, no matter how trivial.

Reality shows that this is almost exclusively a theist thing.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM

The fairy tale version of creation is in the book. It's fiction.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM

269 posts, read 168,156 times
i find it very telling about christians who are at an uproar about this....

so much for the peace of jesus...ooops

Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiaz View Post
i find it very telling about christians who are at an uproar about this....

so much for the peace of jesus...ooops
It's the irrational hatred and murderous ways of jesus's dad, the big kahuna with 2 million+ notches on his magic wand.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:46 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,843,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Interesting first book ever written/printed in history, with more publications than any book on the planet, in more languages than any other , and there is so little respect among the ignorant
The Chinese beat us to printing, so the first book printed was unlikely to be something linked to Western Philosophy.

There are likely more published copies of the Qu'ran than the bible worldwide. And Chairman Mao might have them both beat.

Though your criteria for "respecting" a book are pretty suspect, given that Fifty Shades of Grey was on #1 the Bestseller list for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism