U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:08 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,327,070 times

Advertisements

The fact that there is a discussion over how this book was labeled by the store is just more evidence of the Christian persecution complex being alive and well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 04:59 AM

43,547 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The fact that there is a discussion over how this book was labeled by the store is just more evidence of the Christian persecution complex being alive and well.
I know, right?

Wonder what section the dictionary is in so people can look up the actual definition of persecution.

"No longer putting up silently with your bullsh*t" is NOT it.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,672,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post

So some bibles in Costco stores were (rightfully) labeled fiction. I think it's just foreshadowing how most will view the bible in a couple decades. As expected Costco apologized because foxnews and some butthurt pastor through a fit. Anyway, any thoughts?

'Fiction' Label On Bibles At Costco Shocks Pastor [UPDATE]
Why should they apologize for simply stating the truth?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,953,508 times
Pick it up, read the part about the big boat, and the ability to collect all life forms, even from parts of the world that were not know to exist, etc. (How did they get all the unique life forms from Australia there, and then deliver them back to the Australian continent?)

Yep, it's fiction

Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 AM

39,035 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yes, Gutenberg invented the printing press. However the first book was printed in China. I never mentioned moving type in my post.

It's funny though, that all the Christians think the bible was the first book ever written or printed.
I'm not quite sure what the point is here. That some kind of technological advance supposedly increases the validity of the subject matter of the bod that is printed?

In any case, I seem to recall that the first printed book in the west was a treatise on chess. (2)

I guess my feelings on this is that I am tickled pink by the classifying of the Bible as 'Fiction', but if it was my bookshop, I should have classed it under 'religion' in between 'Philosophy' and nutcase cult -books. And I probably would have got flak enough for putting it on the shelf below Buddhism (alphabetical order ).

However, since we have the fuore (1), I welcome the discussion.

(1) another word I can't spell. Websters seems never to have heard of it. Furore is right.

(2) No the first printed book in the atheist UK
The oldest wood-block printed book is the Diamond Sutra. dated 11 May 868
Around 1040, the first known movable type system was created in China by Bi Sheng out of porcelain.
Block -printing of images and writing was known in europe from 1300 on. Metal movable type was first invented in Korea during the Koryo Dynasty (around 1230).
Because of the huge number of Chinese characters, movable type is not as efficient as writing a page on wood, cutting away the background and printing from the block. Also the individual calligraphy of the writer is preserved.
Movable type is of more efficiency with the roman alphabet.
It is traditionally summarized that Johannes Gutenberg, of the German city of Mainz, developed European movable type printing technology around 1439
1474 Caxton's chess book printed in England.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-22-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 02:07 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,646,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't understand what the big deal is. If the tag is so offensive to you, buy the book, take off the tag. Problem solved.
Exactly.

Thought I'd like to think it was done by a bored clerk with a sense of humor.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:48 PM

878 posts, read 774,364 times
Quote:

So some bibles in Costco stores were (rightfully) labeled fiction. I think it's just foreshadowing how most will view the bible in a couple decades. As expected Costco apologized because foxnews and some butthurt pastor through a fit. Anyway, any thoughts?

Yes, they should have done it. Some folks just don't like the truth.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:59 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,882,746 times

Old 11-22-2013, 08:02 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,838,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Exactly.

Thought I'd like to think it was done by a bored clerk with a sense of humor.
Or a bored customer. Whenever I see a Michael Behe book in the Science section of my local Barnes and Noble, I move it to it's correct section: Religion.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 AM

199 posts, read 507,902 times
Quote:

That is so funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism