Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 PM

269 posts, read 208,118 times

Advertisements

by definition dogma is "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true "

is the skeptics position dogmatic,
since the fundamental disposition of a skeptic is to be convinced with evidence?

BUT

wouldn't that proposition apply to everyone as everyone has set a standard for themselves to be convinced of anything?

so is there such a thing as a dogmatic atheist? >> speaking strictly about their skepticism concerning theology<<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
They use terms in an attempt to equate belief with non belief or pretend atheism is a religion too. You need to understand their indoctrinated views of atheism is what they post from.

They would not be able to differentiate a theist from atheist in the street or a bank queue.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
They use terms in an attempt to equate belief with non belief or pretend atheism is a religion too. You need to understand their indoctrinated views of atheism is what they post from.
i suppose their argument would suggest that everybody "believes" in something, it's just that their belief is more than a belief...
i am trying to put on those old shoes

Quote:
They would not be able to differentiate a theist from atheist in the street or a bank queue.
the pink elephant...

Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
"I see no reason to believe that there is a god" is a conclusion.

"There is no possibility of a god" is dogma.

It is a matter of starting with a default position or starting with no position.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"There is no possibility of a god" is dogma.
While the above is not my unqualified position, it is not dogma if dogma is as defined by the OP (and the dictionary), because it is not a principal laid down by an authority. Also it's a position that is implicitly based upon the overwhelming preponderance of evidence, not simply parroted. Where I would disagree with this as a literal statement is that I'm not willing to assign absolute zero probability to SOME kind of god and I do not want to appear to be closed minded as to any possible evidence that might arise, however vanishingly improbable I might think that is. However, you have to admit that in practical terms, the two statements you cite are functionally identical, it is only a matter of nuanced communication and mindset which one you would subscribe to.

Therefore, "I see no reason to believe in god" is really not different from "there is no possibility of a god" other than IMO the latter is not properly thought out and lacks precision of expression. It's my guess that 90% of anyone saying "no possibility", if they thought it through carefully, would rephrase the 2nd version more like the 1st, and most of the other 10% would not be 100% intellectually honest, they would simply be trying to be provocative.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
No.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
While the above is not my unqualified position, it is not dogma if dogma is as defined by the OP (and the dictionary), because it is not a principal laid down by an authority. Also it's a position that is implicitly based upon the overwhelming preponderance of evidence, not simply parroted. Where I would disagree with this as a literal statement is that I'm not willing to assign absolute zero probability to SOME kind of god and I do not want to appear to be closed minded as to any possible evidence that might arise, however vanishingly improbable I might think that is. However, you have to admit that in practical terms, the two statements you cite are functionally identical, it is only a matter of nuanced communication and mindset which one you would subscribe to.

Therefore, "I see no reason to believe in god" is really not different from "there is no possibility of a god" other than IMO the latter is not properly thought out and lacks precision of expression. It's my guess that 90% of anyone saying "no possibility", if they thought it through carefully, would rephrase the 2nd version more like the 1st, and most of the other 10% would not be 100% intellectually honest, they would simply be trying to be provocative.
just clarifying...

are you saying
i see nothing = there is nothing

Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
No.
whats your secret?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Therefore, "I see no reason to believe in god" is really not different from "there is no possibility of a god" .
"Should be a great picnic, I see no reason to believe it will rain."

"It will be a great picnic because there is no possibility that it will rain."

or...

"Should be a great marriage, I see no reason why it won't last."

"It will be a great marriage, there is no possibility it will not last."

.....still see no difference?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiaz View Post
whats your secret?
Well, I try to be respectful and non-confrontational. I may be the only atheist some people will know (or know that they know). If I am their only frame of reference, I want to make sure that they find atheists to be reasonable and pleasant. I definitely don't want to turn people away from rethinking their beliefs just because they only atheist they come in contact with is a jerk.

I find that more people consider what I think and believe if I don't yell or shove it in their faces.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism