Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM

50 posts, read 66,479 times

Advertisements

Hi all atheists, what answer would you give to the following questions?

1- Why is there something rather than nothing (nothing being the non-existence of anything at all)?

2-If there is no God, is there good and evil, also called moral values? (No, there isn't) How could you come to the conclusion that helping is good and killing is bad?

3- If you believe that God is just a human idea and doesn't exist, than you have to consider that the moral values are also just human ideas and are not true in reality. If that is so, being you someone who was taught about the moral values since your childhood, how could you believe in your perspective of reality, once your own mind was built based in something that isn't actually true (moral values) by your own perspective?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:37 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iohanan View Post

1- Why is there something rather than nothing (nothing being the non-existence of anything at all)?

2-If there is no God, is there good and evil, also called moral values? (No, there isn't) How could you come to the conclusion that helping is good and killing is bad?

3- If you believe that God is just a human idea and doesn't exist, than you have to consider that the moral values are also just human ideas and are not true in reality. If that is so, being you someone who was taught about the moral values since your childhood, how could you believe in your perspective of reality, once your own mind was built based in something that isn't actually true (moral values) by your own perspective.

Thanks!
I'm not an atheist, and your questions don't make any sense to me.

Why can't moral values be true to a person who doesn't believe in God? Why do you think that a person couldn't come to those same conclusions without believing in God? There's no logic to what you're saying. Belief in God is not the only reason people do good things or choose to help others.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
There's no logic to what you're saying.
Correct, Mightyqueen801.

I'll address this:
Quote:
being you someone who was taught about the moral values since your childhood
I grew up in a strict religious household with domestic violence. My childhood was horrible. I was robbed and cheated out of it.
I turned away from those "values." Atheism made sense to me but it took me until age 19 to realize it.

I know the difference between right and wrong.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
Quote:
Okay, but if you use the search feature you will find these questions have been done to death.

Quote:
Why not? I really don't know and I don't think the answer is knowable.

Quote:
I don't believe in "evil". Of course "good" exists. So does "bad". Have you ever heard of the Golden Rule?

Quote:
3- If you believe that God is just a human idea and doesn't exist, than you have to consider that the moral values are also just human ideas and are not true in reality. If that is so, being you someone who was taught about the moral values since your childhood, how could you believe in your perspective of reality, once your own mind was built based in something that isn't actually true (moral values) by your own perspective?
Yes, moral values are just human ideas. Define what "true" means to you. I'll bet your definition is not the same as mine. Therefore, the last part of your question is not logical to me.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 PM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
The same person keeps signing up with new accounts and posting these questionnaires. They are always someone with almost no posting history. Then other than maybe professing to be doing a term paper, the poster very seldom discusses or engages or debates, they just vanish. Rinse and repeat.

I'd say "don't feed the trolls" except that there is no overt goading. It's almost like some kind of OCD thing. Creepy though. I'm not participating.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 PM

431 posts, read 474,529 times
The poster is a troll doesnt want to debate just post .
there is no answer to the questions cus the questions dont make any sence .

Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Because bellybutton lint, of course.

Quote:
I still cannot believe they let King Kong defeat Godzilla in that one Toho movie.

Quote:
3- If you believe that God is just a human idea and doesn't exist, than you have to consider that the moral values are also just human ideas and are not true in reality. If that is so, being you someone who was taught about the moral values since your childhood, how could you believe in your perspective of reality, once your own mind was built based in something that isn't actually true (moral values) by your own perspective
All I can say is, punctuate the following:

that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is

Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
hi all atheists, what answer would you give to the following questions?

1- why is there something rather than nothing (nothing being the non-existence of anything at all)?

2-if there is no god, is there good and evil, also called moral values? (no, there isn't) how could you come to the conclusion that helping is good and killing is bad?

3- if you believe that god is just a human idea and doesn't exist, than you have to consider that the moral values are also just human ideas and are not true in reality. If that is so, being you someone who was taught about the moral values since your childhood, how could you believe in your perspective of reality, once your own mind was built based in something that isn't actually true (moral values) by your own perspective?

Thanks!
Look up the evolution of empathy.... for a start

Last edited by Ceist; 11-02-2013 at 03:30 AM..

Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:

I don't know.

Note: "I don't know." ≠ "God did it!", any more than our ancestors failure to understand infectious disease (having no knowledge of bacteria and viruses) meant that God was causing a particular malady.

Quote:
The same reason every society - including those peoples that have no deity-centric religion (and, yes, those cultures do exist) - come up with similar models of good and bad behavior (hint - those societies function better and tend to supercede societies that do not have such models, a sort of cultural natural selection).

Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, moral values are just human ideas. Happily, humans have the power to reason out those things that are beneficial to individuals, beneficial to society at large, and how to balance those two interests. We quibble (a lot) about the details, but that is only natural. Of course, I know that this idea of reasoning is astonishing to some people, who think humans cannot possibly function without first taking lessons from ancient texts.

Here are some examples of moral values:
Democracy. That's a human idea, and nowhere to be found in the Bible.
Freedom of Speech. That's a human idea, and nowhere to be found in the Bible.
Racial Equality. That's a human idea, and nowhere to be found in the Bible.

I'll point out, as I always do, to those baffled by the idea that the non-religious aren't thieving, raping, murdering lunatics - if your ideas were correct, then we would tend to see higher rates of all manner of immoral behavior in parts of the country that are less religious compared to those parts of the country that are more religious, and in parts of the world that are less religious compared to those parts of the world that are more religious. But we don't.

Have you ever thought to actually look at whether or not your assumptions bear out in the great laboratory we call reality?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:23 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
These questions always bother me because they imply that the sort of religious types who pose these questions are only restrained from terrible acts by their belief that their deity will punish them.

I don't abide by "moral" values. Instead, I have a little thing called ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism