U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:43 AM

9,879 posts, read 6,752,792 times

Advertisements

I am agnostic Catholic since no one can prove the existence of God. However, it cannot be disproved as long as we have to deal with the issue of Ex Nihilo Creation.

Like someone said above, most Catholics are non judgmental and will enthusiastically get drunk with the neighborhood atheists in the local pub.

My wife is a devout catholic and the existence or non existence of God is a moot point for her. Se also enjoys the friendship of atheists and other believers. We don't have evangelical fundamentalist friends because I assume we would be uncomfortable around each other.

And lastly, the most popular student in the Catholic High School that my kids attended was a Jew. Yeah, some non-Catholic people send their kids to Catholic schools. I am not sure why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 AM

4,516 posts, read 3,924,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

And lastly, the most popular student in the Catholic High School that my kids attended was a Jew. Yeah, some non-Catholic people send their kids to Catholic schools. I am not sure why.
Usually because the local public schools suck. Many catholic schools are excellent at education.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 4,638,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Usually because the local public schools suck. Many catholic schools are excellent at education.
Yep. That's exactly why I went to one for high school. Many of the teachers were non Catholic too.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:52 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
It is very commonplace for people who express a hatred to append a scriptural or canonical quotation (or misquotation) to support their hatred. These statements are often widely quoted in the national news media. So is it not surprising that the audience has learned to link them together.

How many times have you heard things like "the bible says homosexuality is an abomination"? People who express hatred don't want to take personal responsibility for their own clinical psychopathy, so they attribute it to a command from the scriptures, which terminates their examination of the issue and leaves them pompously satisfied that they can only be right..

Atheists have no such dogmatic resource to justify whatever hatreds they might harbor, so they then need to think through the empirical source of their hatred, and oftentimes discover that their hatred is not well-founded, and adjust their view.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-28-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-28-2013, 12:00 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,987,323 times
I know a few active or practicing Catholics. For the most part they don't seem to have any extreme views about anything, just pretty normal folk. Still view some practices as being from the dark ages of ignorance, which they are, such as symbolic cannibalism and their views on birth control. If anything Catholics (and some others) seem to live the life they say their god is all about and not cram it down anyone else's throat.

In these parts I know a lot of practitioners of the fundy religions, baptist, pentecostals. Now we are talking some serious bigotry, ignorance, and down right pure hatred of anyone even a little different (meaning not of their cult). Take the followers of good ol' Billy Graham that wet themselves when he denounced gay people. WTF is with a preacher (supposedly teaching the love his imaginary friend bestows on all) standing up and preaching hate toward 10 - 15% of the population? The same message is screamed from many a pulpit amongst bible slapping and spraying spittle in many of the houses of ignorance throughout the bible (pronounced buy-bull) belt. And people glorify this hate preaching bigot

Last edited by Asheville Native; 11-28-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 PM

650 posts, read 440,500 times
I find the OP somewhat confusing.

Last edited by alexcanter; 11-28-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-28-2013, 12:23 PM

5,846 posts, read 3,362,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Christians and Catholics in the "real world" are not like those on the message boards or on the news.
Be careful here. People on message boards and in the news ARE in the "real world" since they are real people with real religious beliefs.

The internet is better than alcohol for lowering inhibitions. Anonymity is grand. The person who writes a nasty, hateful post on a message board could very well be the mild-mannered and friendly person who sits next to you every Sunday morning. In fact, this is somewhat likely as most people aren't raving mad in "real life."

Many Christians know that some of their beliefs are militant and socially unacceptable by the people around them, so they act very balanced and sane regarding their religion, but get them on an anonymous message board and watch the hate fly.

If there is a lot of religiously-inspired hatred on message boards, you can bet your bottom dollar that there is A LOT of religious-inspired hatred in the real world; for every hater on a forum, there are probably 10 or 20 haters out there who don't even know about internet forums or don't have the time to post on them.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:42 PM

77 posts, read 198,682 times
Thanks again everyone for all of your insights. I've learned a lot and you guys are awesome.

As far as the effed stuff the church has done, said, or currently does, I don't defend it because it's effed. I've struggled with it and here's my basic conclusion: you get enough people together and enough money and someone's gonna do something messed up.

I hate the idea of people slaving away in horrible conditions to make me a shirt so I try to figure out how stuff is made, but I know I'm not getting the whole story and I've found out it can be made one place but the material came from another-- I still buy stuff. I work in medical research at a public institution. I've heard there's a researcher who's a messed up when it comes to animal experiments, which I would not be okay with in any way and I still go to work and work with my team, who I trust. I'm not okay with people going without food, shelter, or healthcare and yet I bought a nicer car than I absolutely have to have get around, but I could have just donated that money. What can I say? Sometimes I'm a jerk, I can be illogical, I can be a hypocrite, and sometimes I just plain don't make sense. I'm not going to pretend that I don't do these things. I go to mass because when I'm there it's about me and God and no one else. I try to learn, I try to be more thoughtful, I try to take what I can from the experience, but it and the institution are not always right and there's a line that if crossed, I would leave. I just figure nothing is perfect (though yes, some things are unacceptable) and I try in my own way, but no, I don't make every one of my opinions into a personal cause. In the process I'm most likely condoning some **** things in this world. I can totally understand why someone would not be able to understand that.

Oh and yes, I've been told plenty that I'm going to hell by Protestants. So I'm familiar with that one.

Thank you, again.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:58 PM

650 posts, read 440,500 times
well you seem like a very good and thoughtful person to me, won't be back to this and wanted to say.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:01 PM

2,637 posts, read 10,950,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llgg View Post
...it and the institution are not always right and there's a line that if crossed, I would leave.
Well good grief, where is that line? It wasn't crossed by multiple incidents of sexual assault of innocent children? It wasn't crossed by covering up evidence of same? By protecting the perpetrators instead of the victims? What could the institution possibly do that WOULD cross that line for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism