U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,697,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I failed and I'm an atheist. In my defense, I don't care about any religion and see no point in learning any of it.
You get points for being honest.

Were this quiz put in Religion and Spirituality, where more Christians might see it, I think a number of the more conservative Christian posters would fail. Many know nothing about any religion other than there own. (I'd love to see them take it and be as honest as you are, BTW. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,452,753 times
Ok so I didn't do as well as I thought I would but better than the average Christian I'm sure, most of them have no clue about any other religion outside of Christianity or what being an atheist or agnostic really means. In my defense, I used to be a Christian and I still have a lot to learn concerning other places and religions but all in all didn't do too bad I guess.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,060,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You get points for being honest.

Were this quiz put in Religion and Spirituality, where more Christians might see it, I think a number of the more conservative Christian posters would fail. Many know nothing about any religion other than there own. (I'd love to see them take it and be as honest as you are, BTW. )
I figure, no point in lying, right? LOL. And if the Christians had to post to the Atheist board their true answer, I'd have a feeling they wouldn't be honest.....or they wouldn't post.

I think the difference with me is that I wasn't raised with religion at all. Nothing. Had no clue what anything meant. Easter was the bunny, chocolates, and eggs. Christmas was a tree and presents, family, and giving. Period. Nothing more. Ever. My mom wanted it that way because she hated being forced into Catholicism when she was a kid. Most atheists I know were raised with religion.

I respect people and their choice of religion, but I have no need, want, nor curiosity to learn about religion at all. Learning about religion is like learning about...trying to think of the most insignificant thing on the world besides religion....drawing a blank. Well, you get my point.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM

8,388 posts, read 8,346,321 times
Default "Are You Smarter Than An Atheist" Quiz

Well, I'm an atheist and I scored 91%, but then I was forced to attend church throughout my childhood, so a lot of the Bible-based questions were pretty easy for me.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:52 PM

43,566 posts, read 52,739,145 times
Too easy.

Sad that the average is so low.

Ironically, I feel organized religion is for suckers but I am not an atheist.

What does being or not being religious have to do with how well you do?

Old 12-11-2013, 07:07 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,984,037 times
Well, I reckon I am smarter than at least one Atheist, since I got 100%.
If it matters, I am a Christian.

But I have studied up on a lot of religions. Not all of us prefer to be ignorant.

Not all of us prefer to be ignorant.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:22 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,748,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I'm a Gnostic Christian, not an atheist, and I laughed my way through to 100%. Easy questions...except for the one about Nirvana (or Nibbana as it's called in Theravadan Buddhism, do to linguistic differences) They asked which religion sees Nirvana as a goal, and included Hinduism and Buddhism with only one correct answer. I figures that the writers of this elementary school level test would know most people associate Nirvana with Buddhism and got it right. In fact, Hinduism also seeks Nirvana as well as Moksha, or an end to the cycle of death and rebirth.

Still, for atheist and standard theists this test may be valid I guess. But for those of us following other paths, a little more of a challenge would be nice. Like say...

Which one of these were a Gnostic sect:

Gulag, Swaminarayanism, Cathars or Kharijites?

Which one of these holy text did not survive into the modern day (as in no complete copy has ever been found):

The Goetia, The Evangelion, the Gospel of the Egyptians, or the Guru Granth Sahib?

Which one of these are not a Wiccan sect:

Dianic, Seax, Theodian, or Blue Star?

Norse paganism in the modern age is referred to as what:

Ebonites, Sakya, Atenism or Asatru?

What was the only state to official outlaw religion in the name of promoting science:

The USSR, Mongolia, Alsace or Albania?

I came up with those in a couple of minutes and they would be a lot less insulting to the intelligence of someone taking the test than asking "what is the Muslim Holy book called?
Oh goodie, I agreed about your first point with the Hinduism and Nirvana, although told about Moshka from the Uppanishads, the Hindues might have incorporated Nirvana to incorporate Buddhism. Not sure how old Nirvana is, but it seems to me that it would be the opposite of Moksha, or is Nirvana viewed as returning to Brahman? I'm fussy with the details but was taught that Nirvana and Moksha were part of Hinduism while Moksha (im guessing going back to God) was not really part of Buddhism.

Answers:

Gnostic Cathars? The Cathars were persecuted by Catholics, swami sounds Indian, Gulag possibly russian, Kharijites doesn't sound too North African/Near Eastern to me.

Gospel of Egyptians? The guru is Sihks book, Evangelion and Goetia i've never heard

Seax? guessing based on how the name sounds, Diana, Greek Theos, Blue Star might be neopagan

Asutru i've heard before

Alsace is likely a small state where it would be easier to do.

1/5 if you don't count the guesses (educated or otherwise.)

They should definitely ask people serious theological/mytholical questions that will really educate them once they find the answers out.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:31 AM

4,754 posts, read 4,332,554 times
100% for a lapsed Catholic, ding!

That was an easy quiz for anyone who has any inkling of other religions and cultures. I would expect most 8th graders to ace that test.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,028,577 times
Quote:
I figure, no point in lying, right? LOL. And if the Christians had to post to the Atheist board their true answer, I'd have a feeling they wouldn't be honest.....or they wouldn't post.

I think the difference with me is that I wasn't raised with religion at all. Nothing. Had no clue what anything meant. Easter was the bunny, chocolates, and eggs. Christmas was a tree and presents, family, and giving. Period. Nothing more. Ever. My mom wanted it that way because she hated being forced into Catholicism when she was a kid. Most atheists I know were raised with religion.

I respect people and their choice of religion, but I have no need, want, nor curiosity to learn about religion at all. Learning about religion is like learning about...trying to think of the most insignificant thing on the world besides religion....drawing a blank. Well, you get my point.
I think it's important to study comparative religion. You meet a lot of different people in your lifetime, and understanding them goes a long way in building bridges between cultures.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times
Quote:
I failed and I'm an atheist. In my defense, I don't care about any religion and see no point in learning any of it. So yeah, after getting oh, almost all the first 10 wrong, I quit. I saw where it was going and I knew I would fail. LOL.

However, I'm glad to see the rest of you are doing great. Most atheists I know, know more about religion than those who are religious. I'm just not one of them.

Sorry to let you all down. Hehe.
Go back and try again. I know nothing about religion. Haven't been to a church in 40 years (weddings don't count) and I got 63%

See if you can beat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism