U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 AM
 
39,168 posts, read 10,865,034 times
Reputation: 5092

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Oh goodie, I agreed about your first point with the Hinduism and Nirvana, although told about Moshka from the Uppanishads, the Hindues might have incorporated Nirvana to incorporate Buddhism. Not sure how old Nirvana is, but it seems to me that it would be the opposite of Moksha, or is Nirvana viewed as returning to Brahman? I'm fussy with the details but was taught that Nirvana and Moksha were part of Hinduism while Moksha (im guessing going back to God) was not really part of Buddhism.

Answers:

Gnostic Cathars? The Cathars were persecuted by Catholics, swami sounds Indian, Gulag possibly russian, Kharijites doesn't sound too North African/Near Eastern to me.

Gospel of Egyptians? The guru is Sihks book, Evangelion and Goetia i've never heard

Seax? guessing based on how the name sounds, Diana, Greek Theos, Blue Star might be neopagan

Asutru i've heard before

Alsace is likely a small state where it would be easier to do.

1/5 if you don't count the guesses (educated or otherwise.)


.....

They should definitely ask people serious theological/mytholical questions that will really educate them once they find the answers out.
Cathars were 'heretics' but not Gnostic so far as I know. Swami Hindu as you say, Gulag a Russian prison camp, so Khajarites seems to be the answer.

Guru is Sikh- Hindu, Goetia was mentioned on the boards as a form of magical instruction. I seem to recall (in a collation of 'lost' or fragmentary gospels that the 'gospel of the Egyptians' is lost and there are efforts to relate it to various fragmentary Alexandrian gospels. So I opt for that.

I agree Theos sounds greek and therefore christian.Blue star I first thought was a sort of medical insurance, but that's Blue cross, i believe. Seax is saxon, and doubtfully Wicca, but likely Pagan, similar to Norse.

Asutru I got through a process of elimination. I don't believe Alsasce ever banned religion either as part of France or part of Germany. Russia did not actually ban, it or I should have heard of it along with Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot . Albania as part of the soviet empire under Enver Hoxa tended to have grandiose postures to counter their piddling effectiveness, so banning religion outright is just the sort of immoderate loopiness those marxist -fundies might have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:49 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,676 posts, read 3,055,286 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I think it's important to study comparative religion. You meet a lot of different people in your lifetime, and understanding them goes a long way in building bridges between cultures.
I have met a lot of people in my lifetime from different religious backgrounds. The ones that are open to learning about my atheism, well, we've had some awesome conversations. I have learned a lot about their views on religion and their own religion. I even send out the appropriate greeting cards to them.

HOWEVER, the fact that I respect their choice is a bridge in itself. I don't need to learn everything about all religions to be respectful of one's culture. Even knowing nothing, is more respectful than bashing or being disrespectful (like so many religious folks do to one another).

So, I have to disagree that you need to study comparative religion to understand and build bridges. All you have to do is be respectful. I think that goes just as far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,676 posts, read 3,055,286 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Go back and try again. I know nothing about religion. Haven't been to a church in 40 years (weddings don't count) and I got 63%

See if you can beat that.
Okay, I went back and completed it. Let's just say some were lucky guesses (before I started using "I don't know" to get a true score).

I got a 44%. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 03:03 AM
 
313 posts, read 393,220 times
Reputation: 218
78% and atheist. (though reddit's r/atheism makes me ashamed to be one. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 AM
 
12,709 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Reputation: 34839
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Too easy.

Sad that the average is so low.

Ironically, I feel organized religion is for suckers but I am not an atheist.

What does being or not being religious have to do with how well you do?
I got 100%. I would think that the test is more a reflection of your education in history and reading newspapers or watching TV news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
 
16,104 posts, read 17,907,645 times
Reputation: 15897
94% and Atheist here. I got 2 wrong, one of which I should have known, but misread the question in terms of which religion it was asking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Status: "6' - 220" (set 4 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,849 posts, read 13,431,022 times
Reputation: 11681
94% and Animist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2013, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 15,344,637 times
Reputation: 6670
97%, strong Catholic here.

I missed the one on school prayer...I thought it was a trick question.

I'm guessing atheists ranked highest because most were not "born" atheists and had to make a conscious rejection of religion. Jews probably scored near atheists because they tend to be more educated than other religious groups. Catholics scored lowest because a very healthy percentage of American Catholics today are immigrants from or children of immigrants with a lower level of education.

Last edited by tvdxer; 12-14-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2013, 08:45 AM
 
39,168 posts, read 10,865,034 times
Reputation: 5092
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
97%, strong Catholic here.

I missed the one on school prayer...I thought it was a trick question.

I'm guessing atheists ranked highest because most were not "born" atheists and had to make a conscious rejection of religion. Jews probably scored near atheists because they tend to be more educated than other religious groups. Catholics scored lowest because a very healthy percentage of American Catholics today are immigrants from or children of immigrants with a lower level of education.
Ooohh..good guess, But you'd get a no mark for it. We were all born atheist and had to be taught our various religions. Some accepted it and became theist and others didn't believe or want it and stayed atheist.

Some of those never bothered about religion and so didn't know the name of the first pope, the Sikh Holy book or Viracocha was the God of the Mongols, the Incas or the Zorroastrians, and they would get rather low marks, and good for them.

The kind that was obliged to think about and defend their atheist position is the kind that tends to roll up here, ready for a wrangle and to spread the Good news about the World tomorrow - it's going to be one with freedom from religion.

They are the atheists who tend to get good marks.

Now you know the answer and will get it right, next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM
 
6,342 posts, read 8,748,788 times
Reputation: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Cathars were 'heretics' but not Gnostic so far as I know. Swami Hindu as you say, Gulag a Russian prison camp, so Khajarites seems to be the answer.
The Cathars were Gnostic Christians, related to the Bogomils. Gulag is a school of Tibetan Buddhism, with the Dalai Lama as its head. Khajarites are the smallest sect of Islam, with only the Ibadis surviving to the present time.




Quote:
Guru is Sikh- Hindu, Goetia was mentioned on the boards as a form of magical instruction. I seem to recall (in a collation of 'lost' or fragmentary gospels that the 'gospel of the Egyptians' is lost and there are efforts to relate it to various fragmentary Alexandrian gospels. So I opt for that.
The Guru Granth Sahib is a text in Sihkism, the eternal Guru. The Gospel of the Egyptians has been recovered mostly in tack while the Evangelion, the Holy book of Manicheaism, has never been found except for a few fragments.

Quote:
I agree Theos sounds greek and therefore christian.Blue star I first thought was a sort of medical insurance, but that's Blue cross, i believe. Seax is saxon, and doubtfully Wicca, but likely Pagan, similar to Norse.
Theodism is the revival of old English paganism, not Wicca. Seax is an Anglo-Saxon version of Wicca, Blue Star is a branch of Wicca with rites and a distinct organization.
Quote:
Asutru I got through a process of elimination. I don't believe Alsasce ever banned religion either as part of France or part of Germany. Russia did not actually ban, it or I should have heard of it along with Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot . Albania as part of the soviet empire under Enver Hoxa tended to have grandiose postures to counter their piddling effectiveness, so banning religion outright is just the sort of immoderate loopiness those marxist -fundies might have done.
Asatru is indeed Norse Paganism as it has been revived in modern times. The only nation to ban religion was Albania under Hoxha, where even the USSR at least paid lip service to freedom of religion.

"The state recognizes no religion, and supports atheistic propaganda in order to implant a scientific materialistic world outlook in people."-Albanian constitution, 1976...Dawkin's would have been proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top