Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:15 PM

131 posts, read 259,714 times

Advertisements

91% - The stupid missed question was on the Dalai Lama, the one about the Great Awakening and Maimonides I had no ideal about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,951,511 times
I'm a Gnostic Christian, not an atheist, and I laughed my way through to 100%. Easy questions...except for the one about Nirvana (or Nibbana as it's called in Theravadan Buddhism, do to linguistic differences) They asked which religion sees Nirvana as a goal, and included Hinduism and Buddhism with only one correct answer. I figures that the writers of this elementary school level test would know most people associate Nirvana with Buddhism and got it right. In fact, Hinduism also seeks Nirvana as well as Moksha, or an end to the cycle of death and rebirth.

Still, for atheist and standard theists this test may be valid I guess. But for those of us following other paths, a little more of a challenge would be nice. Like say...

Which one of these were a Gnostic sect:

Gulag, Swaminarayanism, Cathars or Kharijites?

Which one of these holy text did not survive into the modern day (as in no complete copy has ever been found):

The Goetia, The Evangelion, the Gospel of the Egyptians, or the Guru Granth Sahib?

Which one of these are not a Wiccan sect:

Dianic, Seax, Theodian, or Blue Star?

Norse paganism in the modern age is referred to as what:

Ebonites, Sakya, Atenism or Asatru?

What was the only state to official outlaw religion in the name of promoting science:

The USSR, Mongolia, Alsace or Albania?

I came up with those in a couple of minutes and they would be a lot less insulting to the intelligence of someone taking the test than asking "what is the Muslim Holy book called?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
Tough questions. I think I'd be guessing quite a lot.
Without Googling, "Kharijites, the Gospel of the Egyptians, Theodian, Asatru, Albania." Did I get any right?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:20 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,951,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Tough questions. I think I'd be guessing quite a lot.
Without Googling, "Kharijites, the Gospel of the Egyptians, Theodian, Asatru, Albania." Did I get any right?

Granted, I'm one to talk...99% of atheists are probably better at science questions than I am.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,976,196 times
Episcopalian here. 100%.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 PM

5,324 posts, read 5,052,602 times
Got one wrong. Guessed Minemondes was a Hindu.
Victorian punk yours is harder. The only educated guess I have is the USSR for the last one.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Granted, I'm one to talk...99% of atheists are probably better at science questions than I am.
'Thinking' atheists (as I call them) are probably better at both than most bods in the street. I can say that I doubt I'd get 25% right had I not needed to research a lot in the course of debate.

That means of course, that they are not necessarily smarter, but have had to crib a lot of the questions beforehand. I am rather surprised and impressed by the number of high scores by Theists, by the way.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,546,413 times
Wavering Deist/Agnostic - 91%

Screwed up two that were pretty easy! I said all of the above for the Ten Commandments despite knowing that the Golden Rule is not in them! D'oh. Also, answered Moses on the Elijah question. I had no clue who Maimonides was and just said "don't know".

Old 12-09-2013, 11:09 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,051,360 times
I failed and I'm an atheist. In my defense, I don't care about any religion and see no point in learning any of it. So yeah, after getting oh, almost all the first 10 wrong, I quit. I saw where it was going and I knew I would fail. LOL.

However, I'm glad to see the rest of you are doing great. Most atheists I know, know more about religion than those who are religious. I'm just not one of them.

Sorry to let you all down. Hehe.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:05 AM

Your ignorance of religions and everything to do with them do you great credit, my dear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism