Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:10 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I scored 85%.

Are you smarter than an atheist? A religious quiz - When does the Jewish Sabbath begin? - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 07:19 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
I am an atheist.

My score was 97%, with one wrong answer. And 2 educated guesses which turned out to be correct.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:50 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
I missed three, but two of those were because I second guessed myself and difn't go with my first choice.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
What fun. I luv quizzes, except when I get a low score.

I liked it that they (uncommonly) defined atheism correctly.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-28-2013 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
I didn't do too well. I had no idea about Indonesia and a couple of the questions about names I didn't know.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Got 100% except I almost missed the one about the time frame for the founding of Mormonism because for some reason I misread it as Islam (Mormonism --> Mohammed -- Islam, I guess).

But that is only because of my religious background.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I didn't do too well. I had no idea about Indonesia and a couple of the questions about names I didn't know.
That's the advantage the atheist has - the Christian will not have read up on the Other religions. If the quiz had been all Christian, I imagine the title would have been: "Atheists, are you as smart as Christians?"

The one I got wrong was the faith one, and I reasoned that Faith was a pre-requisite for salivation in both religions, though my first inclination was Protestantism - Only Faith will gain salvation. Presumably poor or non -Catholics can be saved through intercession, Indulgences of just hefty donations. I may be forgiven for thinking that these corruptions were as much a thing of the past as Paedofidelling priests.

And a couple I guessed.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The one I got wrong was the faith one, and I reasoned that Faith was a pre-requisite for salivation in both religions, though my first inclination was Protestantism - Only Faith will gain salvation.
I think some Catholics would get that question wrong or take exception to its implications, but I answered "Protestantism" mainly because that was the original primary raison d'etre for the Reformation -- salvation by faith alone. Catholics tap dance around that more in modern times but even today I think a default conception among most Catholics is that salvation = belonging to the church and not getting excommunicated, and this has to do more with behaviors and conformance than with grace. Your mileage may vary.

Of course as with all tests, you have to answer in terms of what you think the author is fishing for, not in terms of what is actually true or what you actually think is true.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:45 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
I got 94%, 2 wrong.

I thought the Jewish Sabbath started on Saturday. I don't know much about the Jewish faith it seems.

I also got this one wrong;

Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening?

Apart from these two the rest were pretty easy.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I got 94%, 2 wrong.

I thought the Jewish Sabbath started on Saturday. I don't know much about the Jewish faith it seems.

I also got this one wrong;

Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening?

Apart from these two the rest were pretty easy.
Those were a couple of trick questions. The sabbath is Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, which would mostly be known to Jews or probably conservative Christians who would incidentally have a basic knowledge of Jewish ritual via the Old Testament. As for the Awakening question, I guessed on that one myself with about 70% certainty. I knew there was a Second Great Awakening, and was fuzzy on the dates of both Awakenings, but knew that Jonathan Edwards (he of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God sermon fame) was from an earlier era than Finney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism