U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:50 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,799,289 times

Advertisements

I visited the Vatican what must be twenty years ago now.
Honestly I just remember it being a very touristy affair. I don't remember any dipping of fingers in holy water but it was a long time ago so either the memory has faded or maybe they do things differently now. I do remember there being a dress code which I think is fair enough. I went on what turned out to be one of their free days so it was absolutely heaving with people - massively long lines and so on, so I think you did well to see the Basilica empty.
If I ever get to go again I'll make sure it's not on one of the free days.
I went specifically for the art appreciation (just finished my art degree) to view the Sistine Chapel (as I guess many people do, it being the thing most people want to see), as well as a few other stunning artworks and drawings. It's really a stunning place - too much to take in in one day I think. Quite mindblowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 06:19 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,104,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I visited the Vatican what must be twenty years ago now...I went specifically for the art appreciation (just finished my art degree) to view the Sistine Chapel (as I guess many people do, it being the thing most people want to see), as well as a few other stunning artworks and drawings. It's really a stunning place - too much to take in in one day I think. Quite mindblowing.
If you ever go back, contact the Swiss Guard by email and request a tour of the Necropolis underneath St Peter's. If you get a slot on your chosen day to be there (which I don't think is too hard, as I have been able to do it twice, in 2004 and 2010), and pay a small fee, you get a fascinating underground tour. Don't go for the alleged capper, though, which is a peek at the place where St Peter's bones were supposedly discovered. It's a peep through a hole in the wall at a small lighted area. The city of the dead itself is more interesting, it predates the original St Peter's and gives you a pretty good idea of what was on the site in ancient times.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,660,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I visited the Vatican what must be twenty years ago now.
Honestly I just remember it being a very touristy affair. I don't remember any dipping of fingers in holy water but it was a long time ago so either the memory has faded or maybe they do things differently now. I do remember there being a dress code which I think is fair enough. I went on what turned out to be one of their free days so it was absolutely heaving with people - massively long lines and so on, so I think you did well to see the Basilica empty.
If I ever get to go again I'll make sure it's not on one of the free days.
I went specifically for the art appreciation (just finished my art degree) to view the Sistine Chapel (as I guess many people do, it being the thing most people want to see), as well as a few other stunning artworks and drawings. It's really a stunning place - too much to take in in one day I think. Quite mindblowing.
The same day I was in the Sistine Chapel. I was upset because I was standing behind a man who was probably 6'8" and because it was so squished I couldn't see around him! I guess that's what you get for going to Rome in the summer, eh. All I wanted was to see the tapestries! At least when I got to see the Last Judgement and the ceiling he was not in front of me! Not too sure why the Sistine Chapel was so crowded yet I could breathe in the Basilica. I remember being in there and thinking, "Wow, I could play a game of soccer in here this place is so big!" Probably wouldn't have thought that way if the place was packed. Not too sure why it was so barren in the Basilica. There probably was a fee.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,990,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
The Vatican was awkward for me. In order to go in, you had to dip your fingers in holy water and do the cross motion with the hands (I forgot what that's called, please don't get mad).

Stepping into a church is pretty awkward for me in general. Especially if there are people worshipping when I'm in there. I honestly don't know what to do with myself. I tend to stand in the back by the door and lay low to not draw attention to myself. I'm the awkward atheist tourist who is the only one not worshipping or doing something religious, just strictly admiring the architecture and the art in the building. That would be me.
Didn't have to do any of that when I went to the Vatican. Long time ago, I was in the Navy, ship was in Naples, Italy and we were given 'basket leave' for 5 days in Rome. A great deal, about $27 for train ride to and from Rome, one meal a day, and a hotel room (shared with 3 other sailors) but I on the ship I live in a compartment with 40 other guys.

Went to see the Vatican (we were in uniform, civies were not permitted then, 1967) and we ran into some college girls from the US that were not allowed in because their head was not covered , so we took off our kerchiefs, unrolled them and they used it as a scarf. That worked out well, and made for a great time in Rome . This is when you got the tour of all the art and artifices and tombs in the basement to demonstrate the vulgar wealth that religion foists upon itself. It is an impressive building.

Went back for the public blessing they had, and I guess still have, every Wednesday. Quite a show of some strange ceremonies and rituals. Big crowd, noisy as hell, clapping, cheering, toting the pope around on his throne chair, etc.

But neither time I entered did I have to perform any ritual such as holy water or ritualistic salute to any deity.

I was an atheist then (I'm a feral atheist) and nothing about it was awkward. More like a circus, and utterly meaningless to me, other than a demonstration that leaves you saying "dang, these people got it bad"

Old 12-20-2013, 09:35 PM

9,888 posts, read 6,758,389 times
It is amazing that so many Atheists like to visit the Vatican. That is life! I see nothing unusual about it because the church was important in Western Civilization, the arts, music, science, architecture, etc.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,828,270 times
If all blessings went like this I would be much more open to them.

Aunt Bethany saying grace - YouTube

Old 12-21-2013, 12:25 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,799,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you ever go back, contact the Swiss Guard by email and request a tour of the Necropolis underneath St Peter's. If you get a slot on your chosen day to be there (which I don't think is too hard, as I have been able to do it twice, in 2004 and 2010), and pay a small fee, you get a fascinating underground tour. Don't go for the alleged capper, though, which is a peek at the place where St Peter's bones were supposedly discovered. It's a peep through a hole in the wall at a small lighted area. The city of the dead itself is more interesting, it predates the original St Peter's and gives you a pretty good idea of what was on the site in ancient times.
Thanks Mordant. I'm sure we'll all keep that useful information in mind for future reference.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If all blessings went like this I would be much more open to them.

Aunt Bethany saying grace - YouTube
Any blessing works;

Including "May The Force be with You".
Gr Gott

No need to be allergic to blessings. This is what makes us human.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,990,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is amazing that so many Atheists like to visit the Vatican. That is life! I see nothing unusual about it because the church was important in Western Civilization, the arts, music, science, architecture, etc.
I also visited the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) and several others when the ship visited Istanbul, Turkey. Nor was it awkward to be in a mosque.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I also visited the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) and several others when the ship visited Istanbul, Turkey. Nor was it awkward to be in a mosque.
Exactly!!!!!

Why be allergic to religion? It is what it is.

I love an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or