U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM

9,866 posts, read 6,742,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I never bow when holiday prayer is said nor does my 4 year old she is also being raised Atheist. My husband is more agnostic than anything and bows his head in respect.

I did get offered to join a Church function by some members pushing their holiday celebrations at the Christmas event downtown . He asked if I wanted to attended, flyer in hand I said no thanks. He then insisted saying "are you sure" to which I said "yes we are Atheist" referring to my daughter and myself. I was given a very VERY weary smile and "that look". You all know what I'm talking about and then not a a second glance. Felt good to announce it like that, in front of so many people. They have no shame about pushing it on me in public so I had no shame about owning up to it.

Be truthful. You enjoyed shocking them.

Do you have a lot of tattoos? That is also an effective way to shock some of the right wing religious folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,091,096 times
Quote:
I did get offered to join a Church function by some members pushing their holiday celebrations at the Christmas event downtown.
This sort of thing is more of a gray area for me and something I can bend on a bit. Fundie-bro, his kids and grand kids are so deeply wrapped up in church functions that there is very little to nothing that they do as a family that is not church connected. As such, being invited to see my great nephews play the bassoon or whatever it is they do, is to be invited to some church pageant or something. Things that would normally be school-related go by the wayside because the church sucks everyone's time and energy in a fundamentalist environment, demanding attendance 3+ times a week, etc. And although I'm too out of regular touch to know for sure, I'd be unsurprised to find that they go to a religious private school in any case, given that their Dad is a pastor.

So I will trundle off to some church thang or other on Monday afternoon, to be nice to my niece and her husband. I can hold my nose and do that ... it's roughly the third time in 15 years I've been inside a church, although, the first time in probably 20 that I've been inside a fundamentalist church. It'll be cringe-inducing but I'll live. Besides, the husband is pastor of a Hispanic inner city church, which will be an interesting twist and something I have zero experience with. Fundamentalism is usually not tied to anything culturally, unless you count traditional WASP "culture". It'll be interesting to see how it plays out with a bunch of former Catholics with super tight-knit families.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,358,289 times
I just ignore dinner prayers, and no one has ever asked me to say one. My mother knows I'm an atheist, but no one else in the family does. Usually I sneak in a fork-full of potatoes or stuffing while everyone has their eyes shut listening to someone talk as if God himself magically made our food appear on the table.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,181,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Be truthful. You enjoyed shocking them.

Do you have a lot of tattoos? That is also an effective way to shock some of the right wing religious folks.
I do infact have two visible tattoos:-) ... Anything I can do to do my part in shocking lol :-p

Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I do infact have two visible tattoos:-) ... Anything I can do to do my part in shocking lol :-p
The question that begs an answer is why do you enjoy shocking them?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM

3,558 posts, read 6,181,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The question that begs an answer is why do you enjoy shocking them?
I don't get a kick out of it it was merely a joke , the anything I can do. I did it because after telling them no they insisted. Trying to make me think twice about my decision wouldn't change my mind . I simply and not a quiet take it kinda person, I'm Atheist and I don't hide it from family friends or pushy church goers.. The tattoos are a bonus ;-)

Old 12-04-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I don't get a kick out of it it was merely a joke , the anything I can do. I did it because after telling them no they insisted. Trying to make me think twice about my decision wouldn't change my mind . I simply and not a quiet take it kinda person, I'm Atheist and I don't hide it from family friends or pushy church goers.. The tattoos are a bonus ;-)
I am agnostic and I go to mass because my wife enjoys the mass. So I am agnostic Catholic. Sometimes, I enjoy the mass quite a bit and whether God exist or not is moot. I would also gladly go to a Jewish temple too and will feel at home in any of the very few Atheist churches.

I say this because some Atheists are militant and others are quiet about their atheism and go with the flow. OTOH, you have a need to express your atheist opinion and you would have some fun trying to figure out why you do that.

Last edited by Julian658; 12-04-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,278,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
To each his own. But that's not what I asked, do any fellow atheists have awkward moments.

I would think using real dollars and change would be awkward for all of you since it dares to have the words "In God We Trust" printed on it.

You all complain so much about being involved in prayer that by the way does not conjur up spirits, there is much more to doing that than a simple blessing prayer for the food on the table.
You complain about anything and everything that is "God" related yet you don't quit using money,
isn't that being quite the hypocrite?

Also, have you ever noticed the word for non believers "Athiest" can be separated into two words which are

A Thiest which is a Theologian which is one who does believe in God.....

Just for your information you are the only one feeling awkward in those moments, maybe you should ask if there will be a prayer right before eating so you can opt out of attending the function so you are not put in a self induced awkward position.
Seriously, how can you even stand to be in the same room with people who do believe in God?
That in and of itself it a bit hypocritical as well.
You should stick to your own like thinkers so no self induced awkward positions are had in the future.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,879,331 times
Many of these posts make me very sad. Both sides of the debate seem to struggle with tolerance.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,056,842 times
I always feel uncomfortable when I participate in prayer like that. Why? Because I don't like being fake and me going along with it is being fake. I do it, because I don't see any point of making a big stink about it, but yeah, awkward. I also do the same thing, look around and hoping it'll be over soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or