U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:39 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,644,306 times

Advertisements

The Vatican was awkward for me. In order to go in, you had to dip your fingers in holy water and do the cross motion with the hands (I forgot what that's called, please don't get mad).

Stepping into a church is pretty awkward for me in general. Especially if there are people worshipping when I'm in there. I honestly don't know what to do with myself. I tend to stand in the back by the door and lay low to not draw attention to myself. I'm the awkward atheist tourist who is the only one not worshipping or doing something religious, just strictly admiring the architecture and the art in the building. That would be me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 AM

9,789 posts, read 6,731,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
The Vatican was awkward for me. In order to go in, you had to dip your fingers in holy water and do the cross motion with the hands (I forgot what that's called, please don't get mad).

Stepping into a church is pretty awkward for me in general. Especially if there are people worshipping when I'm in there. I honestly don't know what to do with myself. I tend to stand in the back by the door and lay low to not draw attention to myself. I'm the awkward atheist tourist who is the only one not worshipping or doing something religious, just strictly admiring the architecture and the art in the building. That would be me.
Yes, it can be very awkward to be an atheist. Then why go to Europe to see how the Catholic Church shaped Western Civilization? Stay away and you will avoid feeling awkward.

OTOH, you could relax and not be so concentrated in your belief system. Accept old Europe as it is and move on.

The churches are considered Holy Places. Don't take as an offensive gesture. When in Rome do as the Romans.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I've been to the Vatican twice (by which I take it you mean, entering St Peter's) and neither had to do that nor saw anyone else doing it. Maybe there was a font of holy water off to the side for those who wanted to use it?? Or maybe you were there on some special holy day. The only requirements I recall was modest dress and silence / no picture taking in the Sistine Chapel.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:08 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,085,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Gods (whether they exist or not) do no hear prayer. The act of prayer is done to make a person feel better. Whether a God hear or does not hear the prayer is moot.

If I go to a party with Satanic people and they want to do their own rituals I go along for the ride and do not get all bend out of shape. I always follow the "When in Rome do as the Romans" philosophy.

If you happen to be a militant atheist that gets nauseated with believers then life will be miserable because 90% of the people you associate with will be religious. Why make your life so miserable?
I don't. I laugh at the absurdity (on the inside, of course).

Prayer can be a kind of meditation practice, more intended to change the person praying than to move god off his duff. Or it can be "earnest supplication" (aka, begging). Or anything in between. I don't overthink it or judge it. It just is what it is. I don't participate either, or allow myself to be forced to participate. There are ways to do that without being a DB. I may on rare occasions make an exception for fundamentalist close family (which in practice is just one brother and his family) although it has never actually happened yet because for all their fundie bloviating and posturing, they have just enough class to know better than to create such situations for others.

I think this whole thread is starting to become rather pointless as everyone tries to make themselves heard on this delicate topic and inevitably ends up talking past each other to an extent. I think the bottom line is that life is too short for this kind of thing and we ought to avoid it in whatever way we can. The holidays are a time when it's a little extra problematic because we are thrown together with relatives we aren't on a regular communication basis with and have not worked out all the explicit and implicit negotiations and protocols. Mercifully, the holidays are not far from over and we can get on with life.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Really. It's getting old with believers coming in here, talking in circles, hijacking threads, and trying to start debates.
Heck, if they didn't do that, this thread would wither away. It would just be a bunch of us Atheists telling each other how smart we are.

Besides, this is the one forum where we can tell Theists how silly their beliefs are. Enjoy it.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:21 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,381,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
To each his own. But that's not what I asked, do any fellow atheists have awkward moments.
Awkward...sure there are many people I cannot tell what I believe. They might try to convert me

As for being at someone's house who says a prayer and thanks it is not awkward at all. It is their house and I respect their beliefs while in their home. I have no problem bowing my head and waiting for the prayer to be over. Now it might be very awkward if I had to start the prayer, lol. Thankful...well I am thankful every day and I think more people should remember all the good things in their life daily not just for one day.

My stepdaughter has the opposite problem. When her in-laws go to "her" house they expect to say a prayer. Hmm...my house my rules. Obviously they don't respect my stepdaughter's beliefs. So much for Christian tolerance.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 AM

9,789 posts, read 6,731,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Awkward...sure there are many people I cannot tell what I believe. They might try to convert me

As for being at someone's house who says a prayer and thanks it is not awkward at all. It is their house and I respect their beliefs while in their home. I have no problem bowing my head and waiting for the prayer to be over. Now it might be very awkward if I had to start the prayer, lol. Thankful...well I am thankful every day and I think more people should remember all the good things in their life daily not just for one day.
Exactly! No big deal!

Quote:
My stepdaughter has the opposite problem. When her in-laws go to "her" house they expect to say a prayer. Hmm...my house my rules. Obviously they don't respect my stepdaughter's beliefs. So much for Christian tolerance.
The Christians don't have the corner on intolerance. Some Atheists are equally intolerant,

Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times
Quote:

If you go to a Thanksgiving dinner the whole purpose to the gathering is to give thanks before eating.
Thanks for the information. I did't know for all these years me and my family didn't even know the purpose of why we were getting together. I feel so stupid.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:58 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,529,126 times
Quote:
Believing in God is considered a non-intellectual activity.
I'll say.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,964,060 times
Quote:

If you go to a Thanksgiving dinner the whole purpose to the gathering is to give thanks before eating.
The purpose is the dinner, and I will thank the host for their efforts in preparation of said dinner. To ignore the host/hostess who has probably worked for 2 days to put on the spread and thank some deity thing, well that is just plain rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or