Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 PM

634 posts, read 896,767 times

Advertisements

A couple of days ago on Thanksgiving I was a guest and therefore was completely caught off-guard when everybody gathered in a circle around the dinner table, joined hands, bowed their heads, and began to conjure up spirits before sitting down to eat dinner. I heard somebody mention it was time for prayer and I was a split second away from a clean getaway to the bathroom or some other part of the house but the hostess spotted me and motioned to come and stand next to her so it was too late.

I did what I always do at times like these, I opened my eyes right after everybody else shut theirs and looked around and watched what people were doing. A few were deep in thought, the kids were squirming, someone winked at me (hmm, a fellow atheist?); I was "thankful" it didn't continue with going around the room sharing what we're "thankful" for; I've heard of this and other horror stories on what some atheists have stumbled on.

Any similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 12:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Yah. I don't reject human communication of any form.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Doesn't sound like a horror story. Neither does saying what one is thankful for. Just doesn't seem like a big deal.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:02 PM

634 posts, read 896,767 times
To each his own. But that's not what I asked, do any fellow atheists have awkward moments.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:03 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
To each his own. But that's not what I asked, do any fellow atheists have awkward moments.
I guess the answer is, they WOULD have been awkward if we meant to control other people. Your moment does not sound awkward to me in the least.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:49 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
There's a bright side; I provides a good opportunity to sneak some long glances at the hot moms in the room when their eyes are closed.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:01 PM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Hello.

While far from identical, I had a similar experience shortly after leaving the Roman Catholic Church. I stopped by the church to see a friend who worked there and a priest (whom I had also been friendly with) asked if my new motorcycle (which I had ridden to the church) had been blessed yet.

When I said "no," he ran to the rectory for some holy water and the proper "vehicle blessing" prayer. I know he meant it as an earnest favor, so I took no offense.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:13 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
A couple of days ago on Thanksgiving I was a guest and therefore was completely caught off-guard when everybody gathered in a circle around the dinner table, joined hands, bowed their heads, and began to conjure up spirits before sitting down to eat dinner. I heard somebody mention it was time for prayer and I was a split second away from a clean getaway to the bathroom or some other part of the house but the hostess spotted me and motioned to come and stand next to her so it was too late.

I did what I always do at times like these, I opened my eyes right after everybody else shut theirs and looked around and watched what people were doing. A few were deep in thought, the kids were squirming, someone winked at me (hmm, a fellow atheist?); I was "thankful" it didn't continue with going around the room sharing what we're "thankful" for; I've heard of this and other horror stories on what some atheists have stumbled on.

Any similar experiences?
When in Rome do as Romans do. It is not that hard.

I am not a Jew and I have used the the kippah when entering their temple for a Batmitzvah.

And when I travel I eat what locals eat.

Otherwise why attend a Thanksgiving Dinner?

What do you do during Christmas when people say Merry Christmas?

Old 11-30-2013, 03:22 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
When in Rome do as Romans do. It is not that hard.

I am not a Jew and I have used the the kippah when entering their temple for a Batmitzvah.

And when I travel I eat what locals eat.

Otherwise why attend a Thanksgiving Dinner?

What do you do during Christmas when people say Merry Christmas?
I generally say merry christmas and a happy new years to you too.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Eh, when the blessing begins I just look around the table and think about how thankful I am to be surrounded by people I care for and who care for me. Alternately, I express silent gratitude for all of the work that went into preparing the meal, from the farmer to the cook. Works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism