U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:03 PM

583 posts, read 1,493,848 times

Advertisements

that was a good needed laugh when a friend said that creation is proven fact by science. when i came back it is myth they got upset and came back with you do not beliveing the food do you? i was like no and said yeas most people of the earth have a flood story. but if any thing it was a regional flood not world wide but a stone age or bronze age people. in their mind it would have been world wide. that the jewish christian flood was the black sea forming and that is all. and they got like i thought you was smart but you must be stupid to not see the evidence that the bible is fact.lol
they also believe that the worlds problems is because the teach no longer can paddle and prayer is out.
and said i was wrong when i said no one is stoping your kid from praying on their own. they just cant say you going to pray. that they can read the bible in lunch or study hall no one will stop them. you just can not make them do it. and how marriage rights is a attack on his faith lol. time to end this friendship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,121,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
time to end this friendship
Why end the friendship? He hasn't done anything to hurt you?

Besides, aren't you curious how his mind works? Most religious people I know take the bible with a grain of salt, but some people apparently need to have a holy book they can take as the literal truth, and I find them kind of fascinating.

I have never learned much from people who agree with me.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:55 PM

9,898 posts, read 6,763,380 times
Quote:
that was a good needed laugh when a friend said that creation is proven fact by science. when i came back it is myth they got upset and came back with you do not beliveing the food do you? i was like no and said yeas most people of the earth have a flood story. but if any thing it was a regional flood not world wide but a stone age or bronze age people. in their mind it would have been world wide. that the jewish christian flood was the black sea forming and that is all. and they got like i thought you was smart but you must be stupid to not see the evidence that the bible is fact.lol
they also believe that the worlds problems is because the teach no longer can paddle and prayer is out.
and said i was wrong when i said no one is stoping your kid from praying on their own. they just cant say you going to pray. that they can read the bible in lunch or study hall no one will stop them. you just can not make them do it. and how marriage rights is a attack on his faith lol. time to end this friendship
Discrimination by belief system.

Why did you feel the need to mock this person?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Why end the friendship? He hasn't done anything to hurt you?

Besides, aren't you curious how his mind works? Most religious people I know take the bible with a grain of salt, but some people apparently need to have a holy book they can take as the literal truth, and I find them kind of fascinating.

I have never learned much from people who agree with me.
you are right he can be so entertaining..He just gets so stressful at times. in his mind the bible is 100% fact any other church than that of rome is false,
with x mas coming it is real fun with merry Christmas , when i told him happy holidays is all inclusive for x mas Hanuka, islam hindu all have a part this time of the year for something. but it is a attack lol wont cut him off just not invite him over as much he got mad when we had people over for dinner and he wanted to say grace i told hime he could but the rest of us are just diving in to the food. but do not let us stop you.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Discrimination by belief system.

Why did you feel the need to mock this person?
i do not mock him he thinks his church view should be the law and placed in school and only his as all others are false. and only tell him my view when he tries to state that the woo woo is true. and how much better we would all be if it was force feed in school. and i point out the separation of church and state. and he says there is none that god is in the constitution then quotes the preamble to the declaration of independence .

Old 12-01-2013, 01:18 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,109,074 times
You are not much of a friend if you ridicule him and shame him. Continue to influence him for good unless he becomes belligerent and nasty towards you.

You both sound young and obsessed with being right. You should take this as a challenge to see how effectively you can let go of the need to be right and still find common ground. My guess is that you will outshine him in this regard if you can even partially succeed in letting go of your ego investment. It's the fundie who has a reason to think someone with a different viewpoint will soil him; you don't have that excuse.

Be someone he can't legitimately look down on.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 PM

he has become very belligerent, i deny no one their faith but. it is to the point of him trying to save my soul and how he is like well you must belive for you help people and do good deeds. he has just got pushy so i started to push back.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:37 PM

319 posts, read 502,748 times
Quote:
he has become very belligerent, i deny no one their faith but. it is to the point of him trying to save my soul and how he is like well you must belive for you help people and do good deeds. he has just got pushy so i started to push back.
Why Evolution is True - Jerry Coyne

Why Evolution Is True: Jerry A. Coyne: 9780143116646: Amazon.com: Books

Get him this book for Christmas.

If he says he won't read it, keep it for yourself.

One nice thing to do would be say, hey I read your bible, why don't you read something else and talk with me what you think of it.

I think it is a very well written book, and apparently enough reviewers agree to give it 4.5+ stars.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:50 PM

9,898 posts, read 6,763,380 times
Quote:
i do not mock him he thinks his church view should be the law and placed in school and only his as all others are false. and only tell him my view when he tries to state that the woo woo is true. and how much better we would all be if it was force feed in school. and i point out the separation of church and state. and he says there is none that god is in the constitution then quotes the preamble to the declaration of independence .
Where do you find these folks?

Do you live in the Bible Belt?

I never encounter folks like that unless I venture into a Christian forum. Why do you have a friendship with this person? Friends usually have things in common. The two of you are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. He cannot tolerate your views and you cannot deal with his views. What is the point?

Old 12-01-2013, 03:15 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,121,072 times
Quote:
he got mad when we had people over for dinner and he wanted to say grace i told him he could but the rest of us are just diving in to the food. but do not let us stop you.
That is really funny! I think you did the right thing.

It was very rude of him to come into your home and tell you how to behave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism