U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:26 PM

243 posts, read 389,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So the reason the BBC is still able to produce such excellent quality programming is because of the unique way it has always been funded.
Every household in the UK has to pay a licence fee if they own a TV. (Technically the licence fee only counts if you only watch and listen to BBC broadcasting but in reality everyone has to pay it.) It's around 145 pounds per household which generates about 5 billion a year. What this means is the BBC gets to make up-to-date high quality broadcasting on TV and radio and you also get to watch it advert-free. You can also download bbciplayer shows currently broadcast. Obviously if you live outside the UK they don't want you watching what you aren't paying for so if you go to the bbciplayer website you just get this message:

"Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only"

However, there is a way around it but if I told you I'd have to kill you (or I might DM you instead ).

In fact most of the programmes eventually do end up on YouTube but usually after a significant enough amount of time has elapsed for you to have forgotten or not known about it in the first place. Some of them are released on DVD and some of them are shown here.

I believe now there are services available that ask for a fee (about $5 a month) that will provide you with a UK ip address. I couldn't vouch for how reliable any of them are.
Here are a few I found after a google search:
Watch UK TV Abroad, BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4OD - My Expat Network VPN
UK Proxy Server

In my view getting a UK proxy has been well worth it- I felt like I was going stir crazy without it.

Here's one of my favourite series:
BBC Two - Horizon

this special currently showing:
BBC iPlayer - Horizon: 2013-2014: Comet of the Century: A Horizon Special
I don't watch much American programming at all anymore either.

I've been using Expat Shield for years to access BBC iPlayer and itv player. It's free and I can turn it on and off easily if I want to switch back to my US IP. Occasionally the BBC site asks me to put in a postcode to verify that I'm in the UK. I just google a random London one and type it in.

There are also sites online where can either download or stream most US cable shows the night they premier, as well as many popular UK shows. For example, they had Downton Abbey the day it premiered in the UK up on the site, while we had to wait months more for it to air in the US.

Then there's the obvious torrent sites.

You can find any show you want to watch online; no cable needed at all. Every David Attenborough program I've watched has been through the internet...haven't ever seen them shown here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM

540 posts, read 570,293 times
Several weeks ago I was surfing for something to watch and came across a documentary on the History Channel. I was so excited - yay, a documentary! That wasn't about WW2 (it seems a few years ago that's all the History Channel would show, but I like older history), and yay it wasn't a reality show about people selling their old stuff. So I eagerly watched for a few minutes, then scratched my head, did a quick google on what they were talking about, and realized it was some pseudo science (pseudohistory?). So bummed. As an adult, I can enjoy it for the "what if" entertainment factor, but I wonder how many people actually believe all the stuff because they think it's a legit documentary.

I usually borrow documentaries from the library. I wish they'd order more.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,912,083 times
Ha ha! Our nickname for the history channel was the Hitler Stalin network!!!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM

6,862 posts, read 3,785,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post

I've been using Expat Shield for years to access BBC iPlayer and itv player. It's free and I can turn it on and off easily if I want to switch back to my US IP. Occasionally the BBC site asks me to put in a postcode to verify that I'm in the UK. I just google a random London one and type it in.

There are also sites online where can either download or stream most US cable shows the night they premier, as well as many popular UK shows. For example, they had Downton Abbey the day it premiered in the UK up on the site, while we had to wait months more for it to air in the US.

You can find any show you want to watch online; no cable needed at all. Every David Attenborough program I've watched has been through the internet...haven't ever seen them shown here in the US.
There was really good one recently: 'Triumph of the Vertebrates'. Did you see it?
Here's a fabulous little clip available on YouTube:

Evolution in Reverse - David Attenborough's Rise of the Animals: Triumph of the Vertebrates - BBC - YouTube

I think possibly we have ExpatShield too but I can't remember exactly and my husband is currently away so not around to ask (I'm fairly certain we don't pay for it ).

Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,412,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't see this as proselytizing. It's just that annoying habit that shows have these days of plunking "interesting" little factoids on the screen that distract from the presentation of the story. Do you seriously think they were suggesting that gold mining = idolatry? Mentioning it in that context suggests they think it's quaint and silly, actually.

What the first commandment says is simply conveying a fact. Not an endorsement. It was explaining why Luther thought mining for metals was against his religion. What he actually decried was dowsing for metals, BTW; he felt it constituted "occultism".

I don't think we help our credibility by getting our knickers in a twist about this. Commenting about something involving religion scarcely constitutes proof that the commenter is a believer, much less that they have an agenda to convince you of their belief. Particularly in this context.
Thanks for the comments. And what you say makes sense, but my problem is that's is just annoying as all get-out. Mining for metals has nothing to do with the first "commandment," unless a person subscribes to a particular mindset.

Besides that, the next program after that one was about Cain and Abel, and it was NatGeo. That used to be dedicated to science and archeology, etc., not fairy tales. That is what was/is so irksome.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,412,938 times
Quote:

That is very fortunate for people who desire a little bit of home. It never occurred to me to even think of the possibility. Then again, I have never lived overseas and needed to! Good for you and thanks for the info.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,525,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
NatGeo has gone far downhill, as have History, Discovery and TLC (this being the worst now).

Sad, because I used to learn a lot, about 10 years ago. Now it's full of 'reality' crap and pseudo-science dramatizations.

I agree. God, aliens, all the same drek to me, and as others have said, it's pretty ridiculous that channels that are supposed to be devoted to historical and scientific fact-finding are dabbling in either. You really have to root out the good shows now. It's really a shame.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:21 PM

243 posts, read 389,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
There was really good one recently: 'Triumph of the Vertebrates'. Did you see it?
I haven't yet, but now I'm going to go watch it. That clip was really interesting. I've been watching Inside the National Trust lately on itv. I've been watching Coast on and off as well....really love that one.

I'm with you, Tatooine! When I was younger I wouldn't watch the History Channel because I didn't want to watch old footage from WWII. Now I don't watch it b/c it's full of reality shows.

Here in the US, the History Channel miniseries The Bible was a huge hit this spring. People just ate it up. I binged watched another fantasy show that week -- Game of Thrones.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 12-02-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,082,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Besides that, the next program after that one was about Cain and Abel, and it was NatGeo. That used to be dedicated to science and archeology, etc., not fairy tales. That is what was/is so irksome.
Yeah, and CNN, supposedly a news channel in contrast to sister newstainment network HNN, is flogging a special on NDEs hosted by Anderson Cooper, a supposedly professional journalist who I should think would be better off being devoted to actual news.

I just look at it as a reflection of what people find interesting, combined with the side effects of needing to fill 24 hours of programming times 250 channels 7 days a week. I am very, very close to shutting down my satellite TV subscription and just relying on Internet feeds. We're not into sports, so if it weren't for the news channels I probably wouldn't bother; I could get by with the likes of Hulu and Netflix and such. Now that half the time the news channels either have pure fluff rather than hard news, and/or, I flip between the 3 news channels I have for a quick news fix and all I can find are commercials ... that combined with the reception problems for satellite in winter and the lack of good alternative services in my area, I may be able to convince my peeps to let go of the satellite service and save over $100/mo.

In my more philosophical moments I ask myself whether I should be discouraged that people want to watch shows about ghost hunts and the authenticity of some Catholic relic and such. I tend to think it's more a function of sheer boredom and the overall low quality of what is on, and that people are just passively vegging out in front of the TV and choosing something that is fractionally more interesting than the general drivel. My stepson is a staunch atheist, yet he loves Ghost Adventures for some reason. You can't really draw conclusions about people's intelligence based on their TV viewing habits when you know from personal experience that someone can be intelligent enough to call the likes of Zizek and Foucault his favorite authors, yet watches Ghost Adventures. Go figure. We all need our escapes, I guess.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM

6,862 posts, read 3,785,823 times
Quote:
I haven't yet, but now I'm going to go watch it. That clip was really interesting. I've been watching Inside the National Trust lately on itv. I've been watching Coast on and off as well....really love that one.

I'm with you, Tatooine! When I was younger I wouldn't watch the History Channel because I didn't want to watch old footage from WWII. Now I don't watch it b/c it's full of reality shows.

Here in the US, the History Channel miniseries The Bible was a huge hit this spring. People just ate it up. I binged watched another fantasy show that week -- Game of Thrones.
If you like Coast, there's another really good one: Walking through History with Tony Robinson on Channel 4. They are already into series 2 but the first series is still available on iplayer. Highlights for me were programme 1 series 1 which traces the birth of the industrial revolution from the first ever factory in Derbyshire, and programme 1 series 2 which is about stone circles found all over Wiltshire and the history of Stonehenge.
Walking Through History - Articles - The Birth of Industry Walk: Day 1 - Channel 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or