U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,357,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm particularly offended by the notion that people are or were so stupid that pulling off an amazing structure or whatever MUST have been way out of their abilities!!
Why would you be 'offended' by this? I find the theory rather intriguing myself. Admittedly, the show you're referring to has overreached itself in an effort to keep the series going, but the first and part of the second season are actually quite interesting.

If you're going to let nationalisim or political correctness get in the way of possibilities, well ... not much I can do about that.

Otherwise, I agree with much of what has been said here. I noticed, too that H2 (the second History channel) has given itself over to religion and armageddon. The vast majority of shows are either about religious history or some new religious archaeological find ... or its about disasters, meteor impacts, plagues, Mayan doomsday prophecies, Nostradamus doomsday prophecies, Alistair Crowley doomsday prophecies, Biblical doomsday prophecies, conspiracy theory doomsday prophecies, etc.

Even good shows like Universe always has to work in a doomsday scenario for everything it discusses, even things like how a gamma ray burst aimed at earth could wipe us out if it hit just right - as if that will ever really happen. It's like Americans are obsessed with being afaid, doomsday, and religion.

Moreover, have you ever noticed that every show - from Wormhole to Ancient Aliens - has to coddle religion? They're not allowed to simply say, "Religion is bunk" even if the theories they put forward do exactly that. They have to make all of these concessions, waivers, and disclaimers like saying, "Just because we say X doesn't mean we're saying God doesn't exist" and sometimes the person being interviewed will say something like, "Just because science says this, it doesn't mean I have lost my faith."

No one is allowed to just come right out and say, "Hey, I'm an atheist and this is why I don't believe in God." They dance around it, of course, always managing to steer clear of the danger zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,415,296 times
Please see my insterted answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Why would you be 'offended' by this?

I thought I explained that fairly well already.

If you're going to let nationalisim or political correctness get in the way of possibilities, well ... not much I can do about that.

Don't know where you got that and I don't know how you could think that being athiest and annoyed by constant references to fairy tales could get in the way of possibilities? Seems to me it would be the other way around.

Otherwise, I agree with much of what has been said here.

That's good to know!

Moreover, have you ever noticed that every show - from Wormhole to Ancient Aliens - has to coddle religion? They're not allowed to simply say, "Religion is bunk" even if the theories they put forward do exactly that. They have to make all of these concessions, waivers, and disclaimers like saying, "Just because we say X doesn't mean we're saying God doesn't exist" and sometimes the person being interviewed will say something like, "Just because science says this, it doesn't mean I have lost my faith."

Yes. See, that's part of the problem!

No one is allowed to just come right out and say, "Hey, I'm an atheist and this is why I don't believe in God." They dance around it, of course, always managing to steer clear of the danger zone.

Kinda crazy, isn't it? Thanks for your comments.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 PM

243 posts, read 389,790 times
I forgot to mention it in my first post, but I also like watching RT documentaries on YouTube.

I stream RT Live as background noise sometimes and they show clips of documentaries that I never find on that YouTube page, but when I search for them I find them on the general RT YouTube page. So there's more, but you have to know what you're looking for. Or maybe I'm just terrible at finding what I want.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 12-04-2013 at 08:44 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 11:23 PM

191 posts, read 221,472 times
Science channel has some decent stuff late, late at night.

Sometimes, even the 'good' docs on various channels seem too ADHD for me...stick with a train of inquiry and slowly unravel the whole thing! All the way down to the core. No need to flash all over the place, cutting shots with random 'whoosh' noises... As much as I like and respect Bill Bye. :-)

But, I really miss UCTV being on dish....:-(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 AM

30,884 posts, read 31,780,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Glad you got to see your #2 hero.

I guess it is a Canuck channel. I didn't realize that 'til I poked around the site a bit today. As to its availability State-side, couldn't say. If no cable company down there has picked it up, perhaps one will.
Oasis is available online here...Hopefully it's not restricted to Canada....Let me know if it is....Great channel by the way.

Oasis HD - YouTube

Old 12-05-2013, 04:11 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,019,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

Totally agree with both of you.
No offence guys but I've been living here 2 years and I still don't understand how to trawl through the rubbish on TV to get at the good stuff, especially where science programming is concerned.
Morgan Freemans 'Through the Wormhole' thing tends to be fairly good, but even then I switched on only a few days ago to find myself watching an entire program devoted to concepts of god in the brain .
It actually turned out to be fairly interesting but I'd rather science shows stuck to science. I don't want the Higgs Bosun to be referred to as the God Particle and so on.
No wonder Americans can't seem to break free of religion if this is what you have to deal with.
I've given up - I can't seem to navigate it. My husband has fudged my computer so that I can tune in to god-free legit science, nature and history programming from British TV. I probably shouldn't give advice on this but look into ip addresses - that's all I'm saying....
(sorry to sound like a broken record but that's the way it is)
I have also taken to ordering DVD series and watching them instead.

Any advice on how to tune in to better programming here would be much appreciated. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

The Higgs Boson isn't called the God Particle because it has anything to do with God, per se.
It was originally called the Goddamned Particle, because it was so hard to find.
Leon Lederman, the physicist, who wrote a book by the same name, said the publisher wouldn't allow it to be called the Goddamned particle, because too many people would be offended.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
I forgot to mention it in my first post, but I also like watching RT documentaries on YouTube.

I stream RT Live as background noise sometimes and they show clips of documentaries that I never find on that YouTube page, but when I search for them I find them on the general RT YouTube page. So there's more, but you have to know what you're looking for. Or maybe I'm just terrible at finding what I want.
Thanks for mentioning RT channel. I have only discovered it recently myself.

It's frustrating knowing there are great videos and channels out there that we don't even know about!!
Just have to keep truckin' I suppose.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_mays View Post
Science channel has some decent stuff late, late at night.

Sometimes, even the 'good' docs on various channels seem too ADHD for me...stick with a train of inquiry and slowly unravel the whole thing! All the way down to the core. No need to flash all over the place, cutting shots with random 'whoosh' noises... As much as I like and respect Bill Bye. :-)

But, I really miss UCTV being on dish....:-(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I agree. I used to hear occasionally that TV was directed at the eighth-grade level or something like that, but it seems that would be a stretch now!

Don't you find yourself wishing they would fill in the blanks in that any particular subject is gone over briefly and sometimes bring up more questions than they answer?

Something like this: "Flowers use an internal process to bring water and nutrients to all their parts." Duh. SAY photosynthesis!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The Higgs Boson isn't called the God Particle because it has anything to do with God, per se.
It was originally called the Goddamned Particle, because it was so hard to find.
Leon Lederman, the physicist, who wrote a book by the same name, said the publisher wouldn't allow it to be called the Goddamned particle, because too many people would be offended.

I had heard of the previous name (makes sense to me) but thanks for filling in the story some!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:05 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,338,552 times
First off, there is an entire forum dedicated to nothing but television, television, programs, cable, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I'm sitting here making phone calls, messing around on my computer and watching TV. Right now it's National Geographic and the program is about gold mining.

Just a minute ago, a text block comes up on the TV screen and says something like, "Martin Luther thought mining for metals was against his religion." Then another block comes up and says "The first commandment is Have no other gods before me."

WTH? NatGeo is proselytising now???
Secondly, unless I missed something relating to your user name and I am missing the irony, I call WTH to your WTH.

As far as your question goes, no, NatGeo is not proselytizing because the "factoid" was about the minerals, not Religion. If it were, then all television programs, media, websites, books, newspapers, Average Joe on the street, etc., etc., are proselytizing atheism by not mentioning Religion in any context every time you come across them, it, etc.

That McDonald's commercial I just saw mentioned nothing about God, Jesus, the Good Book, church, nothing. Therefore they must be speaking towards some type of atheist agenda. Sounds silly, doesn't it.

As for the "factoid" you read in that program about mining, I like it. Martin Luther was a real human being, and that quote, if accurate, is historical: as in, it is a part of real history. I personally do not care if a 13th Century Catholic priest said it, or if it were quipped by Winston Churchill, people shouldn't "worship" money, anyways. Just my opinion, but, history is history, yo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or