U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,412,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
First off, there is an entire forum dedicated to nothing but television, television, programs, cable, etc.

Secondly, unless I missed something relating to your user name and I am missing the irony, I call WTH to your WTH.

As far as your question goes, no, NatGeo is not proselytizing because the "factoid" was about the minerals, not Religion. If it were, then all television programs, media, websites, books, newspapers, Average Joe on the street, etc., etc., are proselytizing atheism by not mentioning Religion in any context every time you come across them, it, etc.

That McDonald's commercial I just saw mentioned nothing about God, Jesus, the Good Book, church, nothing. Therefore they must be speaking towards some type of atheist agenda. Sounds silly, doesn't it.

As for the "factoid" you read in that program about mining, I like it. Martin Luther was a real human being, and that quote, if accurate, is historical: as in, it is a part of real history. I personally do not care if a 13th Century Catholic priest said it, or if it were quipped by Winston Churchill, people shouldn't "worship" money, anyways. Just my opinion, but, history is history, yo.
I'm so very sorry, Luv. I can't answer just now because your animosity is dripping out of my monitor and onto my keyboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 AM

39,033 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
First off, there is an entire forum dedicated to nothing but television, television, programs, cable, etc.

Secondly, unless I missed something relating to your user name and I am missing the irony, I call WTH to your WTH.

As far as your question goes, no, NatGeo is not proselytizing because the "factoid" was about the minerals, not Religion. If it were, then all television programs, media, websites, books, newspapers, Average Joe on the street, etc., etc., are proselytizing atheism by not mentioning Religion in any context every time you come across them, it, etc.

That McDonald's commercial I just saw mentioned nothing about God, Jesus, the Good Book, church, nothing. Therefore they must be speaking towards some type of atheist agenda. Sounds silly, doesn't it.

As for the "factoid" you read in that program about mining, I like it. Martin Luther was a real human being, and that quote, if accurate, is historical: as in, it is a part of real history. I personally do not care if a 13th Century Catholic priest said it, or if it were quipped by Winston Churchill, people shouldn't "worship" money, anyways. Just my opinion, but, history is history, yo.
If I may pinch -hit for LaPucelle while she wipes venom off the keys...I haven't seen the programme, but if the show was about minerals, quotes from The OT and Martin Luther's opinion on mining seem inappropriate unless the programme IS about religion. What sounds silly is to argue that the omission of any mention of football, fishing or philately from an advert must mean that the programme is actively against those subjects. Nonsense of course. But mention in advert or programme of 'Jesus would have approved' or 'St Anselm would endorse this view' is playing the religion card in no uncertain way.
To compare one with the other is invalid and either inept or ingenuous (love that word ) argument. Just as to compare quotes from religious figures with a very evident religious slant about mining or minerals with some quote from Churchill or some other figure (not notably connected with religion) using some religious reference in a clearly metaphorical and non religious way, such as 'act of God', 'pray for some disliked politician to meet with an accident' or 'it was a miracle he was able to cut his way out of the wrck with his pocket knife' is also false argument. Again, comparing one with the other is inept or ingenuous argument. Which is it, can you tell us? it certainly isn't valid.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,412,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If I may pinch -hit for LaPucelle while she wipes venom off the keys...I haven't seen the programme, but if the show was about minerals, quotes from The OT and Martin Luther's opinion on mining seem inappropriate unless the programme IS about religion. What sounds silly is to argue that the omission of any mention of football, fishing or philately from an advert must mean that the programme is actively against those subjects. Nonsense of course. But mention in advert or programme of 'Jesus would have approved' or 'St Anselm would endorse this view' is playing the religion card in no uncertain way.
To compare one with the other is invalid and either inept or ingenuous (love that word ) argument. Just as to compare quotes from religious figures with a very evident religious slant about mining or minerals with some quote from Churchill or some other figure (not notably connected with religion) using some religious reference in a clearly metaphorical and non religious way, such as 'act of God', 'pray for some disliked politician to meet with an accident' or 'it was a miracle he was able to cut his way out of the wrck with his pocket knife' is also false argument. Again, comparing one with the other is inept or ingenuous argument. Which is it, can you tell us? it certainly isn't valid.
Hello there and thanks for your comments. I'm just waiting for K-Luv to decide to come back to the conversation in a more civil manner, so let's hope that is the case IF KL shows up again.

I never knew about LaPucelle! Very well done... I suppose I *would* rather be a warrior than a saint! (No question about the latter!!!) lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or