Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times

Advertisements

I have doubted the existence of God for quite some time now, but I sometimes wish I had some faith in something. The only reason why I sometimes wish I believed in God and heaven is that I would believe I would see my loved ones some day again. It makes me really uncomfortable thinking that the people I love will die some day and I will never see them again.

That's why I'm sometimes envious of people who have faith. When a loved one dies, they really believe they will be reunited with them again. Do any of you non believers ever worry about these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 01:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
You are cherry picking the nice parts and leaving out the bad parts. Maybe you would go to hell instead of heaven.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Nope, I never worry about it.

All the warm fuzzies of the fantasy pales by the light of the prejudice, intolerance and hypocrisy of modern religious culture.

People live, people die. There are no souls. There is no place to go.

Try to make the most of today instead of dreaming about tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Think of it this way. Individuals who experience delusions of grandeur as a result of schizophrenia believe that they are very famous and important. It isn't true, but they get to believe it. In the meantime, they do not get to experience and appreciate the reality of their lives and the people who love them as they actually exist. Is it worth the trade-off?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:59 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You are cherry picking the nice parts and leaving out the bad parts. Maybe you would go to hell instead of heaven.
Well that isn't a very nice thing to say.... geez.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I have doubted the existence of God for quite some time now, but I sometimes wish I had some faith in something. The only reason why I sometimes wish I believed in God and heaven is that I would believe I would see my loved ones some day again. It makes me really uncomfortable thinking that the people I love will die some day and I will never see them again.

That's why I'm sometimes envious of people who have faith. When a loved one dies, they really believe they will be reunited with them again. Do any of you non believers ever worry about these things?
Believe in yourself. It can be very rewarding.

Believe in those you love, and those who love you. Life is richer that way.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, I don't mean it to be, kgordeeva....
But, Live in the moment....be happy, enjoy life.
It does take mind or thought control (thus your emotions are in control)
to focus on the peace or joy in the moment.
People that have died, if they are gone, ok, so live right now.

This is not easy...it takes deliberate effort to retrain the mind.
...but well worth it.
Past is past...cherish the memories when they pop up...no regrets.
It is a retraining, for sure.
Good luck.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Well that isn't a very nice thing to say.... geez.
It was completely neutral.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:

Churches and organized religions don’t have a monopoly on beliefs. You can believe anything you care to and if that means you’ll see your friends and loved ones in another life so be it. If you’re good with it that’s all that counts. So far no one has returned from the grave and told me otherwise, so I feel I’m going to meet up with my friends and family at some time in the future.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:16 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:

The saddest moment in the life of an atheist is when they realize they are grateful for being blessed-----and have no one to thank.

Ego sum perfectus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism