U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:28 PM

2,665 posts, read 3,052,488 times

Advertisements

I think I'll alternate and post these on my FB this year. Maybe those that get offended will get the hint.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 AM

40,996 posts, read 18,573,926 times
We had a thread some time back about how atheists react to various religious oriented expressions from the faithful. Most seemed to agree that while these things, such as "I'll be praying for you" were somewhat annoying, it made little sense to lash out at someone who was wishing you well.

This would seem the other side of the coin, Christians receiving the best wishes from atheists, even if it comes in a form which is annoying.

I suspect most of them are perfectly fine with such greetings, just as most of us are fine with the promised prayers. Somewhere out on the fringe are theist and atheists who apparently feel this is something over which a flap should be made. Seems to me that this is their problem.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 AM

9,801 posts, read 6,731,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I suspect most of them are perfectly fine with such greetings, just as most of us are fine with the promised prayers. Somewhere out on the fringe are theist and atheists who apparently feel this is something over which a flap should be made. Seems to me that this is their problem.
I agree!

Bible fundamentalists are as intolerant as militant atheists. They are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

In the middle theists and agnostics could care less about what type of greeting is said.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 6,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Christmas is 1 day in December, there are several other holidays in the month. So happy holidays would mean all, or any, of them.
I only see Christmas being a national holiday on the list in December.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-06-2013 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: baiting.... again

Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,278,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
I only see Christmas being a national holiday on the list in December. Moderator cut: delete
I have none - I generally wish people 'Merry Christmas'.

See, I'm not the one with the problem. I'm not the one demanding one, and only one, form of well-wishes related to the holiday.

You are.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-06-2013 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: due to deleted portions of JulieB8 posts

Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times
I'm guessing some people would not be happy with my choice of wrapping paper.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 PM

351 posts, read 574,492 times
I usually say to anyone, "Merry Christmas" because I'm Christian. I'm not putting them down for their beliefs or their religion. I just know what I am. I fully expect them to say, "Happy Hanukkah" back to me if they are Jewish. If they are of a different religion, then there is nothing wrong with wishing me their holiday greeting. I'm not telling anyone they have to be Christian or or convert or somehow, my religious beliefs are better than theirs. It's just sharing a friendly greeting with other people.

For those I know are Jewish and I know it's Hanukkah, I'll wish them a Happy Hanukkah. If I know anyone's religious beliefs, I'll try to wish them their greeting. Otherwise, I will wish them mine. Happy Holidays is fine and all, but it's not necessary. If someone wishes me "Happy Holidays" I'll accept it gracefully. I'll wish them the same in return. It's obviously more comfortable to them to have a general greeting and they are just trying to be PC. It's hard to offend me with this sort of thing though.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:09 PM

9,801 posts, read 6,731,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Does it really hurt you to be inclusive? Will you burst into flames by allowing everyone to celebrate what ever holiday they want? ON christmas day I will say Merry Christmas. I used to say it for most of the month, but because of the ridiculousness of some "Christians" I will not be doing so this year. You want to push, and try to make me say something? Congratulations, I refuse to pander to your poor deprived discriminated against christian victimhood.

How about this. YOU celebrate Christmas with 4000 nativities, and angels, and what ever else you want. I will celebrate christmas with a tree and eggnog with family and friends. My friends can celebrate Kwanzaa. others can celebrate Hanukkah, or boxing day, or whatever they want.
Why should everyone conform to what YOU personally celebrate?
Hanukkah is a very minor Jewish holiday and mostly prompt for PC reasons. Same thing with Kwanzaa, which was created for "feel good".

It would be amazing if we celebrated each others holidays with no chip in the shoulder. I have no issues in celebrating Jewish holidays if I am around Jews.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,068,212 times
I am a catholic I go for "merry Christmas" on Christmas eve and Christmas day, "happy holidays" for everything else unless someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas" first despite it not being 12/24-12/25. I have no problem, I take no offense to people saying "happy holidays, happy x-mas" or whatever, I have no problem being wished a "happy Hanukah" by a Jewish classmate, though I don't celebrate Hanukah.

Frankly I think the whole "war on Christmas" "stop taking the Christ out of Christmas" and whatever other campaign people are launching now is ridiculous/too much time on their hands

Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,025,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB8 View Post
Christmas is a national holiday, so why don't you wish people by the name of the holiday?

"Happy Holidays" - What holiday are you referring to?
What? So we should only wish people greetings if it is a national holiday? We shouldn't offer anyone a Happy Easter in the spring either, since it is not a national holiday? Regardless, december 25th is the only day designated as a national holiday. Does that mean that you should not wish anyone a merry christmas on any other day in the month of December? No. As was already said, there are numerous holidays in the month of december, so why not offer greetings to all? BTW, happy holidays applies to christians too, in case you were unaware....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism